The Basics of Aiptasia

timsedwards

Hi Friends,Over the past few days I have been thinking of writing this article for SWF.com. I am now winning in my battle and there are always posts about these little chums of ours. So I thought I would share my experiences and invite others to comment.
Aiptasia is a word you will often find in this forum. It is a nightmare for some people and for others they might not even experience it! Either way it is a key issue in marine fishkeeping and something that will invigour many a discusssion!
Firstly (here comes the science) they are from the aiptasia pallida family. They can be called Aiptasia/apstasia/aipstasia but the correct term is Aiptasia. They are essentially very similar to an anenome and share many characteristics, except one - aiptasia is easy to keep and difficult to get rid of!
What do they look like?

Well essentially they are brown in colour (from zooxanthellae) sometimes appear white. They have very long tenticles and are normally between 1/8" to 4" tall. It would be very easy to mistake them for a positive hitchhiker on live rock (as i did).
Are they bad?

Mainly, yes. They are bad for reefs because they have the ability to sting corals. These stinging cells, called cnidocyte, each contains a stinging mechanism, cnidae or nematocyst. The toxin will disturb the corals, they will look stressed and normally end up dying. They (unfortunately) reproduce very quickly, and I think of them as an equivalent to a weed in the garden. If you just pull the leaves off a weed, it will still grow. A severed piece and start a whole new anenome.Therefore the annihilation of the aiptasia in the aquarium should be dealt with also. I will address this later.
How do they get into the tank?

Mainly on Live Rock (LR) as hitchikers. They can come on very small and you might not see them until there are millions.
How can you get rid of them?

I have tried nearly every method so I can pretty much vouch for the ones that at worth it.
Kalkwasser/Pickling Lime

This the most successful method. By mixing up a 70/30 concentration of saltwater and kalkwasser powder, and then squirting it (using a turkey baster, syringe) into the mouth of the aiptasia, you will chemically burn it (lovely) and it will not be able to reproduce. However, every method of removing what is left should be made.Other possibilites are hydrochloric acid and liquid calcium. I have never used Hydrochloric acid, and liquid calcium did not work for me. Make sure you test for Ca and Alk afterwards so not to cause any spike in the levels, perhaps spread the annihilation over a few days rather than nuking the tank at once.
Peppermint Shrimp (Rhynchocinetidae sp)

They are natural predators of the aiptasia and will love nothing more than to chomp on one. However, they are not so efficient when it comes to bigger ones, and dont expect eating aiptasia to be top of the list of priorities when it first enters your tank. Give it a few weeks and it should settle in and start chomping. I have found this very successful, especially with smaller ones.
Butterfly Fish (Chelmon rostratus)

This fish is known to eat aiptasia but I would not recommend getting one especially to eat it. If you have one because you like it then a good bonus is that it will eat apstasia. The best one is the copper-banded butterfly, although please note there are some people who will say they will pick at feather dusters.
Red Legged Hermit Crab (Dardanus megistos)

There are some reports of these friendly guys eating on our anenome friends. Particularly the red legged version. I personally have no experience of this, but several people have said it is very good, they are cheap and do a great job cleaning anyway.
Aiptasias are indeed interesting and stick around when you dont want them. Unfortunately, they can become real trouble in a reef set-up... and if kept (beats me why but no doubt there are some people) are best kept to a species tank.
But if you want my opinion, they’re unattractive, deleterious to your desired livestock, and hard to stop once they start multiplying... Don’t wait once you see Aiptasia in your system. Enlist the help of our fishy friends and/or take up arms (with a pointed tip siphon...) to siphon the bulk of them out. At the worst, consider nuking ‘em with concentrated kalkwasser to rid your system of these stealthy nuisances.
Tim Edwards. All coments welcome.
Written for SaltwaterFish.com, May 2003.

bigcity

There is also a product on the market called.... you guessed it... STOP APTASIA. It is a green liquid that once opened must be kept refigerated. I tried everything to get rid of those pesky things, and then my LFS told me about the product. I swear by it now. It doesn't list what the ingredients are.. but it has a minty smell. It says it is completely safe for reefs as well as fish only. I kid you not, i must have squited 100 of the little buggers when I first got it. Now, after a few months of regularly suirting what I can reach, I may have 10 little ones left. In my opinion... best approach.

timsedwards

Hmmm Yes I did find on a website a couple of products like that, but they also did not list the ingredients. Im always cautious if it doesnt list the ingredients. Im glad it has worked for you, and if all else fails then that is the way to go. Personally I think if we are trying to recreate nature (which by the nature of this hobby we inevitably are) then its always best to try the natural way first.
Thanks for sharing your experience,
Tim.

kreach

I have one thing to say about aiptasia..... EVIL. Well, maybe not evil in the strictest sense, but still nasty little buggers.
We're working on getting rid of them in our tank. We've got peppermint shrimp and we've been injecting them with the kalkwasser mix. I get sort of a sick pleasure out of watching them melt... is that wrong? ;)

jarvis

My experience with klak wasn't effective when I was using tank water to mix klak paste and then throwing it in the microwave.
It did work when I used straght tap water, very effective.

finland

This is a fitting post today for me. My tank is being over run with aiptasia, so yesterday, I bought a peppermint shrimp against my better judgement. I have a snowflake eel. Well when I put it in the tank after acclimation, the shrimp started munching on a rather large aiptasia. I was elated. He tore it to shreds. I have about 125 lbs of LR in my tank, so I hoped he would be able to hide from the eel. Well needless to say, I can't find the shrimp today. Hopefully, he is just hiding, but I don't think so. I think I am more mad at myself, then the eel. I knew better, and he was just being an eel.Grrrr Now to try the kalk method again. Boiling water does a good job with them, but they seem to come back twofold.

timsedwards

Yes I forgot to mention, I have tried boiling water and that did nothing for me, the aiptasia blew apart basically and multiplied!
Sometimes I can go a few days without seeing my peppermint shrimp so all is not lost :)
Thanks for everyone's input,
Tim.

serpentine5

This is a great thread. I have enjoyed everyones input, and experiences. To date, I have been lucky, though I built my tank with about fifteen pepermint shrimp, and a nice handful of redleg crabs. A buddy of mine is starting to get aptasia. He bought a frag a one of the local fish supply shops, he knew better because there was aptasia in the frag tank. The sales guy, when asked about the aptasia, took one out of the frag tank and put it into a tank used to show emerald crabs. The emeral crabs ate it up. The sales guy, when asked, also said the emeral crabs were good for eating bubble algea. My friend has bubble algea all over his LR, so he bought 3 emerald crabs to add to the one he already had in his tank. He added the 3 crabs and the frag to his tank, now he has aptasia, and it doesnt look like the bubble algea has been touched. I will pass this info on to him, talking with him this past night, he said he was going to try injecting boiling water. I would hate for them to explode all over his tank and multiply.

timsedwards

Hi serpentine5,
Well point him in the direction of this thread :) I have heard that boiling water does work for some people, but its important that you clear up the remnants of the aiptasia straight away.
Best Wishes,
Tim.

overanalyzer

Bravo Tim!!! Great post!!
I too used boiling water on some larger ones but my peppermints (purchased from swf.com) have totally cleaned my two tanks. Of course riding a 5 and 20 gallon of Aiptasia is not as taxign as some of hte larger tanks!!

jim672

Tim,
Thanks for confirming my experiences! I brought some aiptasia into my tank on a rock with some yellow polps. My G*&&*@n blue tricolor damsel ate the yellow polps and left me the aiptasia! I removed the rock from my tank as soon as I realized what I had and thought I had removed all the aiptasia. Wrong! Three or four pieces of it had moved to other rocks.
I bought 5 peppermint shrimp and, after acclimation, watched as that same GD damsel chased them all over the tank.....eating at least two. The other "disappeared". I haven't seen any of them since. But every time I notice more aiptasia growing...within a few days it's gone. I guess the shrimp are still hiding from the damsel but doing their job under the cover of darkness!!
By the way, I tried boiling water and a CA mix and neither one worked for me.
Jim

timsedwards

Hi Jim,
Yes i think from what people have said to me and my experiences of peppermints, they seem to do there 'thing' in darkness. Not that i Mind, as long as they are gone :)
Thanks for your input,
Tim.

saltyj

I had about ten of the darn things on one piece of LR and fshhub told me to squirt them with kalk. It was the coolest thing I have ever done I took pleasure in watching them shrivel and die!!! I have a question though I have what i think may be a bubble anemone near some of them he is brown with the bubble tips will this kalk affect him at all?

timsedwards

Yes it will if it comes into contact with him directly, i think it will have the same burning effect, perhaps to a slightly lesser degree. Hell i think that stuff could burn me! :D Just be careful when applying the Kalk.
Tim.