The Basics of Aiptasia

tony detroit

In my experience
Boiling water-waste of time, they're back the next morning
Kalk paste-be careful, but does work, easy to screw things up like pH spike, or burning corals
Joe's Juice-works most of the time, not ALL though, probably your best bet if the aiptasia is big and next to a coral you do not want to injure
Peppermint Shrimp-must be starving, and only eat VERY small ones
Stop Aiptasia-works, but you have to net out the aiptasia after they fall off the rocks, otherwise they're still there
Aiptasia Eating Nudibranch's-no experience personally, but are expensive and don't fare too well to aquarium life from what I've read, a waste of money

jrpage

Originally posted by timsedwards
The second one is unusual, not used to aiptasia on glass. 99% of the time it comes on liverock and stays there, as it needs a hole to retreat into for protection. At least if it is aiptasia, as its on glass, I would just get a hobby knife and cut right along the glass to get it all off and quickly take it out the tank.
Tim. [/B]
Hi Tim,
I pick up this thread because I have some strange whiteish looking clups with thick stringy arms showing up on my sump walls and one tiny piece on the back of my tank glass.
After reading this I'm wondering if I should assume it's aiptasia or not. Truely mine are only on the glass and acrylic.
thanks
Rhonda

shoimen

Hey, this post rocks!!
I have been waging the Aipstasia battle for some time now, hitched in on some live rock. One was so big that it was stinging my trigger in his 'sleeping' rock!
Anyways, I did get 2 peppermint shrimp to clean them up and they did a good job. That was a few months ago and since then, the trigger has had his way with the shrimp. I since then have moved the mainly troublesome rock into another tank and recently bought a new peppermint shrimp and he hasnt really touched them.
I heard somewhere that only peppermints from a certain region (believe i heard Florida/Caribbean) will eat the aip. Anyone heard anything on this?
I definately want to stay with natural removal methods, as the thought of 'chemicals' in my tanks makes me cringe.