The "DO NOT..." Advice List for Saltwater Aquarists

bergshawn

Very neat idea.. Never would've thought of that myself. The net really damages the fish that bad, eh? Does it just remove their slime coat?

S

sinner's girl

"DO NOT leave your house without letting the other people know that using bug killer bombs in the room with a fish tank is a no-no..."
Do not let your S/O find her fish still dead in the tank b/c you did this. after she asked you make sure you unpluged the air pump and covered the tank...
DO not make your S/O remove the dead fish (which by this time is white and you can't tell it was a fish).
Do no make your wife remove dead fish from tank or dead mice from traps or cages....
Do not let your mother in law anywhere near a tank. do not trust her to plug things back in for you while you're out of town (dh moved, he was out of town, she didn't plug the tank back up...)
Do not let mother in law spray for bugs while you're moving a tank (i think some of her spray got into the fish water that was in bins...b/c the fish died before the ammoinia even had a chance to appear)

lionstorm

Originally posted by CB
Do Not mistake your shrimp's molt for a dead shrimp:eek: :D

lol guilty of that one. Me: "Some thing got my shrimp, my shrimp is dead, look!" Dad: "Then why is he behind that rock there?"
Unfortunately....
Do NOT put a CBS, no matter how large, in with a pufferfish. He'll think it's the most delicious $17 he ever ate.

do not put a damsel in a tank with any live rock. when the damsel starts taking over ur tank and you want it out, it wont come out without destroying every single bit of aquascaping that you've ever done.

madd catt

Do not show your brand new fish too your cats before you go to bed at night and leave the lid open!
Do not try too take your fish for a walk like you do with your cat or dog!
Do not try too get your fish out of your tank by using a fishing pole and hook,use a net instead!
Do not try too use your lawnmower blennie too cut the grass it doesnt work and they just end up stareing at you anyways!

moopiespoo

DO NOT leave your filter media out where your curious children can find it, carbon is hard to get out of the carpet!
DO NOT use fly killing spray in your house w/out covering your tanks first:(

drakken

Originally posted by neutronics
DO NOT drop your cigarette ash into your tank.
DO NOT smoke when you're working on your tank or changing water.

DO NOT smoke.

the claw

I think this one has already been addressed, but just in case...
Don't listen to certain peoples advice on this forum, especially when their name sounds very similiar to satan. (his other names)

lionstorm

definately don't smoke. A LFS nearby me called "The Aquarium" in Fort Worth smells like nothing but cigarette smoke from the insant you walk in. THey have had several salt water crashes and are trying to get their tanks up again.
Do NOT smoke! worth saying twice.
Do NOT buy fish or aquariums from stores that permit smoking near the tanks/live stock.

dacia

Don't listen to certain peoples advice on this forum, especially when their name sounds very similiar to satan. (his other names)
Well, good golly, cycle with a molly... :D :p :cool:

dacia

By the way, I do agree with you Claw.
And, DO NOT smoke even if you have never seen a fish before in your life. It's bad for all living things, including people. ;)

dacia

DO NOT lose sleep posting things on saltwaterfish.com or beliefnet.com all night long becuase you will regret it the next day when you have to get up and go to work...

neutronics

DO NOT let your tank water enter your eyes *ouch* :eek:
DO NOT smell your live rock to determine if your tank is cycled. :D
DO NOT taste your tank water to determine the salinity level.
DO NOT leave dead fishes (if any) in your tank, thinking that your cleanup crew will take care of it, especially the bigger ones. Take it out immediately.
DO NOT think that your cleanup crew only eat fishes' waste.
DO NOT forget to head count your fishes every feeding time and assess their health.
DO NOT place your face too near the tank and stare at it for hours! :p