The Do Not Buy List

A

andretti

I've been hearing that too about the prism skimmers, but mine works FANTASTIC! You just have to find the right setting for it; it takes a little tweaking, but doesn't everything in this hobby. Mine came with the tank I bought, so I decided to give it a try. I have a 125 and a 75. The prism is on my 75 and takes out the most smelly, ugly, and funky stuff in the world!

slappy

i agree with the atlantis background
how about anything from the idiot at the lfs that says "yea its reef safe" do he research first..............after writing that i think back and remember how many times i was the idiot :notsure:

squidd

Plastic swing arm "Hydrometer"...for measuring SG...:nope:
Get a Refractometer for measuring SALINITY...:yes:

plumbjohn

anything that the LFS tells you is ok without researching it. ex.c.c UGF didn't find this site till after the pain in the*** stuff was bought and installed:mad:

snipe

Originally posted by Squidd
Plastic swing arm "Hydrometer"...for measuring SG...:nope:
Get a Refractometer for measuring SALINITY...:yes:

That isnt true if you buy one you have to compare to a refracto and adjust it to be the same. You can buy them and be highly accurate just have to adjust them to be.

squidd

Originally posted by Snipe
That isnt true if you buy one you have to compare to a refracto and adjust it to be the same. Y

This is the "Don't buy list"..
IE: Don't buy the Hydro..BUY the Refracto...:yes:

squidd

Originally posted by Snipe
You can buy them and be highly accurate just have to adjust them to be.

Been there, done that...
Then the salt creep came, and the temp differences came...and the bubbles..and the...etc...etc...etc......
Buy the Refracto...

plumbjohn

Where does one find a salifert test kit and what is in it. I have an aquarium pharecuticals. Is this one ok
Buy the way hi arky ive read a lot of your posts and found them very helpfull. Thanks

arkey.d

You can get the test kits on this site or other online sites. Can't post the other sites here though...... against the rules.
Not sure about the Aquarium Pharecuticals kits, I know the Red Sea Kits give false positives....I learned the hard way with Red Sea Kits that I bought.
Glad to be of help...

lefty

Don't buy any sort of livestock without properly researching it BEFORE purchasing.
Note: Most opinions from workers at your LFS don't count! Many (but not all) will give you false information just to get a sale (that or they're just plain ignorant). It will save you a lot of time, money, and frustration if you research everything before buying. :D
-lefty

mbrands

Originally posted by arkey.d
Not sure about the Aquarium Pharecuticals kits

I haven't had issues with it yet. Aquarium Pharm. is what I've been using.

plumbjohn

yhanks mbrands. I see your Cards picked up some of my Seahawks. When is the new stadium going to be done. GO SEAHAKS hahahahaha:cheer: :happy: :happy: