The Do Not Buy List

sw65galma

My list:
Purple Lobster (all they do is hide and you'll never see them)
Chocolate Chip Star Fish (if you have snails)
Mandarins
Tangs in under a 90Gal
Cheap Skimmers
Undergravel Filters
Crushed Coral
StarFish in Less than 6month old tank
Damsels

mudplayerx

I like my damsel... he is harassing all the camelback shrimp and keeping them in a corner of the tank until I get home and remove them lol.

X

xoxox

DoNotBuy anything like a sea cucumber, they have a tendency to explode (internal organs expel) and kill everything else in the tank. Not to mention, turn your skimmer into a washing machine that had a little too much soap put in it.

jobob

lol, i have a yellow cucumber that spilt into 2 last week. and i just got a sea apple, i did hear that about them, so hopefully everything will be ok??

mudplayerx

Originally posted by XoXoX
DoNotBuy anything like a sea cucumber, they have a tendency to explode (internal organs expel) and kill everything else in the tank. Not to mention, turn your skimmer into a washing machine that had a little too much soap put in it.

Please do not bash my sea cucumber m'dame! :)
I'm just kidding around. Honestly though, only some sea cucumbers are bad. The detrivore ones that eat sand and then poop it out are fine. It is the colorful ones (the filter feeders) that you need to look out for. They are characterized by flamboyant coloring and specialized tentacles that catch plankton.
I've gone as far as prying my sea cucumber off of a rock (a very stupid move) and he didn't evicerate himself, so the detrivore ones are pretty safe :)

slock

Originally posted by GreatfullReefer
Horseshoe crabs
Nudibranches (unless you can supply an ongoing food supply)

Why no on the horseshoe crab, I had a little one, about the size of a quarter and enjoyed him?

sw65galma

Originally posted by slock
Why no on the horseshoe crab, I had a little one, about the size of a quarter and enjoyed him?

A few reasons.
1. They get over 1 Ft long, no matter what size the tank.
2. They eat everything in your sand bed and usually die from starvation.
3. they'll knock over all types of stuff

sw65galma

More stuff I just thought of.
Butterflys - Very Very Picky eaters
Dwarf Angels - Unless you are familiar with thier diets

X

xoxox

Originally posted by mudplayerx
Please do not bash my sea cucumber m'dame! :)

I'm a guy,
the avatar of the cat is my girlfriends...
Mine was a pink and black cuke and boy did he ever explode, never seen anything like it. There were no pieces of it left bigger than a dime.

75bownut

DONT BUY 60LBS OF LIVE ROCK (UNCURED ) AND PUT IT IN YOUR TANK AFTER ITS BEEN RUNING FOR 6 MONTHS WITH 20 LBS IN IT.:eek:

ophiura

Not all sea cucumbers are a problem (certainly not sand sifters). Mostly WE KILL THEM by failing to provide adequate food, and they starve to death - hardly able to poison the tank.
Horseshoe crabs are inappropriate for the reasons given...they are great in species only cooler water tanks designed for them specifically - especially with lower flow. But I've never heard of one in a reef tank growing anywhere near how large as they should. I reckon many die in about a year or so, if not sooner....and many get blown about by the high currents in our tanks...much to the "enjoyment" of many hobbyists who unfortunately don't know better.

acekjd83

just say NO to products that claim to "speed up" or "enhance" the initial nitrogen cycling of a tank... a single scoop of sand from an established tank or buying LS or LR will cycle the tank in its own sweet time, and there's no way to "speed up" the cycle.:nope:

fishmamma

A little update on the swing arm thing- I went to LFS to purchase 1st fish and guess what....my salinity was WAY low. So I sucked it up and bought a refractometer and went home empty handed to get my salinity up to 1.025. This particular LFS doesn't even sell swing arm hydrometers. Wish I had gone there first.

slock

Originally posted by neonnate
OK whats wrong with crushed coral?

traps all the bad stuff in your bottom and start the launch code sequence for high nitrates. Sand is what is wanted.

ren99

DO NOT BUY EHEIM WET/DRY 2229 CANISTER FILTER!
It is a -*(#^% -#$*(%.
It's expensive! Upkeep cost is high too! for that money, you could buy more LR or other ways of better filtration.
But the main problem is that this thing is headach to clean. All the O Rings are a headach to assemble back. And if you dont do it right, you get a leak on the floor. -(%^#-^* Just spent 3 hours on it and it is still leaking a little.
Extremely poor design on the wet dry control component assembly.

evilbob22

Originally posted by slock
traps all the bad stuff in your bottom and start the launch code sequence for high nitrates. Sand is what is wanted.

Crushed coral CAN be used, although I agree that sand is much better. You'll want a relatively thin layer, and it has to be vacuumed, but it can be used sucessfully.
Sand is also much better for things that live in and/or dig through the substrate.