The GF got kittens... so I got a bigger Tank - My 75 Build

emusinky

I also have two kittens that age, brother and sister. I've seen the boy doing things to his sister that I thought he was too young for. I did some google searching this morning and found that they can breed and reproduce as young as 4 months. OH NO!
I hope one of yours is fixed. My vet wouldn't do it until they are 6 months.
That will be March12.

braydonosu

Yep - Roofus got the snip snip and olivia got the ... well whatever they do to girls. No other kittens in our future.
Just got an Email from SWF - apparently all the "snow" that they say is going to hit the midwest is holding up my shipment - oh well better late than dead. Usually when Cincy calls for much snow everyone freaks out only to have a dusting in the morning. A few years ago they ran out of salt half way through the winter and had to shut the city down for a few days - In norteast Ohio that wouldn't have even been a snow day off of school

braydonosu

Sorry for not getting pics up the other day, as I said SWF delayed my order due to weather. I got a call from one of their reps to tell me that my leopard wrasse jumped ship - she looked all over their facility for a replacement, but they didn't have any others. She's going to substitute a green manderin instead. My shipment should be in by 3 today. Hopefully I'll have some pics tomorrow.

braydonosu

Received an order the other day from SWF. I got asecond OC clown, a Green tipped Leather, and a Bicolor Blenny, the Manderin didn't make it through the trip. The rest of the animals look good, I'll try to get pics up in the next few days.
I noticed a brownish 'algae' looking thing coming off of my birds nest. I used some tweezers to get it off and noticed an indentation on the skeleton, maybe a bit of damage?
The next day the 'algae' looking stuff was back. Should I pull the frag out and give it a lugol's bath? Does anyone know what the 'algae' looking this is?
Here's a good pic of roofus yawning after a nap.

braydonosu

Some updated pics of my new stock - they're not great, I really need to work on my photo skills.
My New OC clown to pair up my current one.

My not-so-new Porcelain crab (Hangs out under rocks, shot from beneath the tank)

My Green Tipped Leather

braydonosu

Does anyone know what a brownish hair algae looking thing could be growing off of what appears to be a small damaged indentation on my birds nest frag. I can't relly get a good picture, but I'll try again after work. I'm thinking about pulling the frag out for a lugol's dip. Any ideas?

braydonosu

Tank Updates:
My Purple Brush Gorg has been closed up for the past 2 weeks. Not really sure what's going on, but it has happened before and I haven't noticed any tissue degeneration or anything. There have been pods crawling all over it. My params all check out (Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonia all 0's, temp swing from 78 - 80 during the day, Ca is at ~420) I did cahnge out the stock T5 bulbs to some new ATI's, maybe it's just adjusting to the light. On to some pics.
I haven't really been getting much growth out of my 2 caps, but it does look like there has been some (I never see white around the edges, but the purple one looks like it has attached to the rock a bit, not much from the red one)

My birds nest is showing signs of growth - not really growing like a weed, but there is new growth.

This should be a better picture of my green tipped leather

My new Lobo that I picked up a few weeks ago. The colors look really cool under my actinics

And a FTS

trainfever

Your tank isnt old enough to support a mandarin, it needs plenty of copepods to eat. I would wait at least a year for your live rock to be populated with enough pods.

braydonosu

The tank (in 1 form or another) has been set up for almost 5 years. It started as a 72, then a 40 for almost 3 years, and now it's a 75. I have had all of the live rock excluding about 20 lbs since the begining. All were moved in buckets of saltwater. The tank is old enough and there are plenty of pods, I just made the mistake of not listning to the Cincinnati Weather station that called for crazy cold - they are almost always wrong. Plus, starvation would take more than 2 days.
On another note, the day after my last update, my gorg "shed" and now has full polyp extension. I know that leathers will shead, but had no idea that gorgs did too. Oh well, everything is looking pretty good.

braydonosu

Got a little crazy this weeked. Re-did the plumbing and moved the sump/QT tank a bit in the stand. Put in a few orders for some live stock and some dry goods as well. I am going to try a BTA again (my first since my college nano days) so I decided to move the rockwork around a bit to accomodate the anemone (There really wasn't a place to put it so that it would not sting corals) I know that it'll move around a bit, but hopefully I created a great place for it to eventually settle. I also ordered a pink birds nest and a 6 line wrasse and a manderin - hopefully there is no freak cold spell on Wednesday in between 75 degree days like the last order I placed. I'll put up some new pictures tomorrow of the plumbing and rock work. Then on wednesday I should get the new additions.

braydonosu

A few updates - I'll have to take some pictures of the new additions tonight. Growth is still slow on my sps's, is it possible to have too much calcium in your tank? I do not dose anything and my test is saying that my calcium is around 500! Maybe I need to get a new calcium tester (I believe mine is API). I was wondering if high calcium was having a neg, effect on my stonies? My polyps are growing like crazy, Hammer is growing well too, candycanes are doing very well (they've gone from 2 to 6+ in only a few months, even my gorg is budding off new branches. My Monti caps are growing, but not as fast as I seem to think that they should be growing. Oh well here are some pictures of the new plumbing and rock work.

Here is a growth shot fof my caps:
1-21-2010

~3-20-2010

I'll try to get some from this month and do this again.