-The new WHAT NOT TO BUY list-

joerdie

engineer gobies??? iv had an engineer for 2yrs and i love him. he lives under a rock and he comes all the way out for food once or twice a day. mine in 7+ inches and i love him!!! what harm could do???
i would stay away from chain lfs's... i know this is not always true and it isnt accually an inhabitent but still MOST ARE NOT GOOD. although on second thought there are a lot of mom and pop lfs's that arent any good either... why do we all still go???? i wonder... hmmmmm....

jja

Orchid dottyback!! Mine killed 3 fish and I had to remove all my lr to get him. Also, if you get an arrow crab, make sure he eats every time or he will go after everything else.

seaslug0305

yeah i definitley gotta say the purple lobster...ive had mine for about 6 months now and while i havent lost a fish yet i think ive seen him out from under his rock maybe twice...total waste of money!

R

royalshrimp

hey seaslug, not just a waste of money... but lots of bioload for nothing:mad:

lopeyc

If we avoided everything that somebody has had a problem with, there wouldn't be much left to get!
I'm bummed to find a bunch of my tank on this hit list: arrow crab, emeralds (put them in today -- now I read this!), anemones (so far so good on three, though, knock on wood), orchid dottyback (never bothers a sole), coral-banded shrimp (I blamed him for the loss of three shrimp, but now I think it was my fault not keeping tabs on the nitrates), flame scallop...

tree

Waterfaller, why no Orchid dottyback? I was considering this fish for my tank but I hadn't finished researching so no final decision has been made yet.

jayrascoe

Blue Linkas. IMO, reputable LFS shouldn't sell them. I have yet to hear a success story with them.
Also, I've never had a problem with my coral banded shrimp. He's my favorite character in the tank. My only regret is that I've learned that I can't have some other large shrimp or crabs now, due to their aggressiveness.
I also have an emerald crab that gives me no problems at all. When I first introduced him to the tank, he ate a small hermit (he must have been starving), but he hasn't hurt anything since.

golfish

Originally posted by jayrascoe
Blue Linkas. IMO, reputable LFS shouldn't sell them. I have yet to hear a success story with them.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel this way. I had a blue for 3 years, give or take (not sure how much of a success that is) I think the problem with them is that people put em in tanks that are not mature or too small. Then there's the shipping issue. We can acclimate them as best we can, unless the LFS that we get it from did a good job we're screwed. It can sometimes take up to a month for the sign to show up. Best bet here is to get your LFS to keep it for 6 weeks, then take it home.

rach4194

Originally posted by tony detroit
Mandarin Dragonette-need copious amounts of live foods, can be kept in large tanks successfully though with large amounts of well established live rock

I just wanted to say there is hope for Mandarins. I got one and I did not reseach the fish before I got it. The guy at the LFS said oh, he will be fine on flake food. WHICH HE WAS NOT! Anyway I put him in a separate tank and with lots of live rock, he was so thin and weak. I read to try frozen blood worms, that was two weeks ago and he is now gaining weight and has enough strength to pick at the rock. Thank goodness. I have learned always reseach before you buy.

ams153

why shouldnt u get anemones if u dont know much about them are they hard to keep or what and do u know where i can get info on keeping them cause i really want to. Please:help:
Thanx
Andrew

spmnarciso

From what I have read, they have a short lifespan. They move alot and require alot of light. All the moving drive some reefers nuts!

S

scott6321

americal HOT wet dry filters or maybe products hopefully I spelled it right woked ok so far not happy with the skimmer though and it uses a rio pump I had not much of idea what I was getting into and for the price I'm not to happy after about 8 mos.
I will say though I'v seen alot of Rio put downs but so far so good
green head wolf eel still goin after going through a cycle but what an appitite
NOTHING YOU HAVEN'T RESEARCHED trust all of us

Just had to say must depend on the animal, I've had my flame scallop for over a year. Also, have two other kinds of scallops that were hitchhikers in the original liverock approx 4 years ago. All are doing fine and you can see how much they have grown by the lines on the shells.

corbin1234

my flame scalup has been alive forever, i dont add anything to keep him alive, he has been in there before i got my fish, i only spent 8 bones on him, what so hard? i cant get mine to die let alone have him just die
(note): im not in anyway trying to kill my fish):D