The reason why xenia pulse.

ibanez

I read somewhere that it may be a way of lessening the light that may be too intense if it were just to shine on one spot since they mostly only do it during the day. It may also be a way of regulating the temperature.

bang guy

I admit that after years of research I really don't know why they pulse.
Mine pulse 24/7 dark, light, whatever. They slow down when alkalinity is low and for that I thank them.

gilbert

Well, as to why they pulse in the dealers' tanks and not at home, I think the amount they pulse is related to how much flow they have. Less flow= more pulsing. I changed my flow for my torch, and when I changed it, it wasn't hitting my xenia as much. Within minutes, the xenia, which hadn't been pulsing for about two weeks, instantly began to pulse again.

speg

well I changed my flow too... from high flow to low flow and they don't seem to pulse as much in the low flow...

handbanana

I have two coloneys in my 55. one ont the bottom of the tank in low flow, one up top directly under the MH's and in med/ high flow.
The ones on bottom dont pulse at all while the ones up top pulse slowly.
the two coloneys in my Biocube pulse constantly and vigeorously. Even more so when I turn off the PH for feeding. Then they close up when the lights are off while the ones in the 55 stay open at night.
I dont understand them at all.

gilbert

Mine (three colonies) pulse very occasionally, unless I turn off the powerhead. Then they start pulsing like they did when I first got them.

hey saw this thread and thought id ask this question, how long does it take for pulsing xenias to come out when you first buy them?, i know its kinda off topic but thought it might be a good question

bang guy

Originally Posted by fitbmxdude989
http:///forum/post/3282699
hey saw this thread and thought id ask this question, how long does it take for pulsing xenias to come out when you first buy them?, i know its kinda off topic but thought it might be a good question
I've seen a range from immediately to never.

mcosta528

Honestly, life evolves in different ways, but the form of xenia polyps and their feathery apendages remind me of 2 methods which are used for survival in marine animals.
1) The Gill, yes the freakin gill, of course... used to exrtract oxygen from the water column. If xenia use their feathery appendages like gills, they may be extracting such essential elements from the water column simply by pulsing water through its feathery gill-like appendages to extract amino acids, nitrigen particles, other trace elements, maybe iodine, etc... some biologist can figure it out.
2) Like tube worms, but without a method to feed, allow esstial elements to cross aborbsion areas where it can use new, fresh, water to cross such critical areas for such food/minerals/elements to be absorbed.
Last but not least, i have noticed that xenia like to pulse when there is little to no water flow. When the water is turbulent, why use your feathery like apendages to push water through when a power head is doing it for you? now without a strong current, its time to manually apply such a method for causing water to push through to get those vital elements/amino acids/other stuff you need to survive. Maybe they pulse more in the ocean during slack tides and less turbulent conditions. Another reason for them not pulsing may be they are lacking the essential minereals, food, nutrients, etc to produce the energy to pulse. If so, many have suggested the addition of iodine, trace elements, magnesium, fresh water change, whatever else helps you can apply here... Also many people have used the xenia as a water change indicator. When they stopped pulsing, people would give water changes and notice the xenia pulsing away again... until the next water change is needed. I feel this is why they pulse in the first place, and how they can stop pulsing, and applied to the proper conditions the right methods can be applied to get your xenia pulsing again.

wartooth1

I've read somewhere that scientists haven't really discovered the exact reasons why Xenias pulse yet and all the ideas floating around are still just theories/educated guesses. I got two colonies placed together so that they look like 1 big colony in the upper middle area of my tank (where I suspect the flow is at its lowest) and they didn't pulse until I started to put iodine in the tank. Now they pulse like crazy. They even pulse when they're closed at night. The only time they don't pulse is feeding time... their hands stop pulsing and stretch wide open and stay very still, then the start pulsing again an hour later.

coralreefer1

Unfortunately, not al species of Xenia pulse. Moreover, pulsing Xenia don't always pulse. I am a firm believer in the fact that Xenia pulse as a way of creating water flow through the colony. This can be a way of gas transfer, removing detritus and other impurities or algae from accumulating on the polyps. Another thought process may be due to the location in the wild.

rlablan

I have a large colony that started to make new colonies by crawling from one rock to another. I now have several new heads and miniature colonies. The original colony still pulses a lot. The new ones never have I and I don't think they will.