The Rebuild of my 180 Begins!! And Continues!!

9supratt4

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/3164583
Nice pics....looks good
The pic you have listed as some type of zoa's looks like blastomussa merletti to me....???
After looking at pictures, you very well may be correct!! Thanks!!
Originally Posted by Eric B 125

http:///forum/post/3164599
i love that monti.
Thanks!! It looked so much nicer before I lost the 4 large pieces during the moving. But now I have frags

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Rigdon87
http:///forum/post/3164696
I thought the same thing...

Hows that wireless upgrade treating you?
I wish I knew!! I'm using one PH in the 180 and the other in the 55 right now. I'm acclimating my 2 clows and my clown goby to the 180 right now. Then I have my Blonde Naso, Sailfin, Foxface, 2 chalk bass, and my bicolor blenny left to go. Hopefully by Monday night I will have all my fish back in the 180!!!
I'm adding them slowly and watching for a spike in my parameters, but so far so good....the tests I did last night came out to:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
PH - 8.3
Alk - 9.3
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1110
Phosphate - 0
SG - 1.023
Temp - 81.2
I'm pretty convinced that I'm not going to be getting a cycle at all. Just being cautious.

mecc

Ok I'm a newbie to the saltwater world, I'm wondering about a few things on your tank if I may ask, Warning these are Newbie questions please don't laugh too hard

the egg crating that you have under your live rocks, is that to keep the rock from damaging the glass or is there another reason?
Also on the same line, do the digging inhabitants have issues digging/burrowing into the sand and running into the egg crating? How much sand over the egg crate did you put in?
I'm working on setting up a Bio cube 29 for my first tank ( I know bigger is better I have a 60 planted freshwater tank as well and size is the main issue on where we are putting it.) I'm getting what I need in stages so I don't get to overwhelmed and the wallet hurts less and also So I can learn a bit about each stage before I'm doing it so I don't have too many issues.
Your R/O system, does that hook onto a sink or how does that work? (again I know these are very basic questions but I'm just starting out.) Whats should I look for in a R/O unit other than GPD? How do you store your water and how to you get it in the tank or does it come out of the R/O unit straight into your tank?
I apologize for these newbie questions I'm really interested and very excited on getting my cube up and running. I'm hoping by mid to late Nov I should have water and live rock in the tank and starting the cycle process. I'm thinking a small reef tank.
oh yeah do you cycle the tank with the live rock and sand in or just the live rock?
Thanks for any answers/ advise you can give a newbie!

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Mecc
http:///forum/post/3165024
Ok I'm a newbie to the saltwater world, I'm wondering about a few things on your tank if I may ask, Warning these are Newbie questions please don't laugh too hard

the egg crating that you have under your live rocks, is that to keep the rock from damaging the glass or is there another reason? I like the egg crate on the glass for support of the rock and so that it's not sitting on the glass.
Also on the same line, do the digging inhabitants have issues digging/burrowing into the sand and running into the egg crating? How much sand over the egg crate did you put in? No...burrowing fish and shrimp and snails have no probelm with it.
I'm working on setting up a Bio cube 29 for my first tank ( I know bigger is better I have a 60 planted freshwater tank as well and size is the main issue on where we are putting it.) I'm getting what I need in stages so I don't get to overwhelmed and the wallet hurts less and also So I can learn a bit about each stage before I'm doing it so I don't have too many issues.
Your R/O system, does that hook onto a sink or how does that work? (again I know these are very basic questions but I'm just starting out.) Whats should I look for in a R/O unit other than GPD? How do you store your water and how to you get it in the tank or does it come out of the R/O unit straight into your tank? The do have RO units that hook up to the sink. Since my tank is an the basement I have all my water lines right in the ceiling, so I tapped directly into one of my cold water lines. GPD is important, but you also want to look at the stages. How many Carbon stages....Does it include a DI stage, etc.
I apologize for these newbie questions I'm really interested and very excited on getting my cube up and running. I'm hoping by mid to late Nov I should have water and live rock in the tank and starting the cycle process. I'm thinking a small reef tank. Do not apologize for the questions!! If it weren't for this site and asking a lot of questions, I would not be where I am today!! Ask away!!
oh yeah do you cycle the tank with the live rock and sand in or just the live rock? Yes, add the water....then the salt....then the rock....then the sand. You want to make sure the rock is secured on either the bottom pane of glass or egg crate, as you do not want any burrowing livestock to be able to get underneath the rocks and create a rock slide.
Thanks for any answers/ advise you can give a newbie!

Answers are above!!

9supratt4

Just an update....moved my Magnificent Foxface over to the 180 yesterday...he's still very skiddish, but I hope he gets better. I also am having some bleaching at the base of one of my acro's. I'm thinking that is because they went from 3 T5's for 2 weeks to 3 150W MH's. I lowered it in the tank about 2-3 inches....lets hope that helps.
Also, I bought new filter socks amd I didn't notice they were 100-micron until I got home. I will NEVER buy them again!! I am cleaning these things just about twice a week!! It's so irritating!!

dingus890

WOW WOW WOW! After reading thru your last thread I am so sorry with what happened to your tank!!
wow!
I just lost all but 1 fish due to an ammonia spike and ich. My inverts were ok. I almost gave up on the hobby. So I know how it feels to just want to stop the hobby. I am so glad you continued!
You new tank is looking amazing so far! Really great rockwork and corals!I hope this time everything work out better for you

PS my dad's from NJ too.

jaxfishgirl

wow, i too just read through your thread on the tank crash. i am SO sorry to hear that, but glad you are up and running again. I just bought a 55 gal used to start my SW tank, and as soon as i get done posting this i am going to check for cracks.

9supratt4

Originally Posted by dingus890
http:///forum/post/3166524
WOW WOW WOW! After reading thru your last thread I am so sorry with what happened to your tank!!
wow!
I just lost all but 1 fish due to an ammonia spike and ich. My inverts were ok. I almost gave up on the hobby. So I know how it feels to just want to stop the hobby. I am so glad you continued!
You new tank is looking amazing so far! Really great rockwork and corals!I hope this time everything work out better for you

PS my dad's from NJ too.
Thanks!! It was a very tough decision and getting everything back up and running so quickly was a drain mentally and physically!! But I am very happy I continued and pushed through it. The transformation is almost complete.
Where's your dad live in NJ??
Originally Posted by JAXFishGirl

http:///forum/post/3166556
wow, i too just read through your thread on the tank crash. i am SO sorry to hear that, but glad you are up and running again. I just bought a 55 gal used to start my SW tank, and as soon as i get done posting this i am going to check for cracks.

Thanks!! A 55 is a GREAT way to start!! That is exactly what I started with, for about a year and then I upgraded to a 180 when I felt I was ready!!

dingus890

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3166693
Thanks!! It was a very tough decision and getting everything back up and running so quickly was a drain mentally and physically!! But I am very happy I continued and pushed through it. The transformation is almost complete.
Where's your dad live in NJ??
Thanks!! A 55 is a GREAT way to start!! That is exactly what I started with, for about a year and then I upgraded to a 180 when I felt I was ready!!
My dad grew up in east orange NJ. My uncle still lives in NJ tho. Can't wait to see more pics as you tank matures.

9supratt4

All the fish have finally been moved over!! Last one's that were moved were my Sailfin Tang, Naso Blonde Tang, 2 Chalk Bass and Bicolor Blenny.
I also was able to get the other Vortech in the tank and set it up for the wireless reef crest mode. I've had some great polyp extension and growth on my corals!!
I ended up with 42 frags of different corals, from breakage between the moves

9supratt4

I finally got around to taking some new pictures!!
Everything that broke during the move is healed and growing great again!!

My Foxface

Sailfin

Blonde Naso

Orange Monti

Huge Toadstool

Frogspawn