THE T-5 Q&A THREAD

wangotango

i wasnt implying that t5's without reflectors are comparable to pc's, i understand that their par is still better, but a 20-40% drop in par without reflectors is something to keep in consideration. theres like a million threads on that forum about t5's too, so its hard to keep track of which one has how many posts.

drewdog82

Here's a quick question. I currently have a 55 with the 4x54 W T-5 fixture (Nova Extreme)... I just set up a 15 gal. fuge and I am intersted in getting lighting for it. It has close to a 6" DSB, and will be adding chaeto to it. I figure that since the chaeto is resting on top a 6" DSB it will be very close to the light source. I didn't know if you could give too much light, but I wanted opinions on what T-5 fixture and amount of watts to use.....the one catch is some time down the road (way down the road), I want to take out the chaeto and instead use trid. clams as nutrient catchers.

fanker

well t-5s shortest light is 24" but i would get a 2x24w retro and since its so shalow and small than itll be more than enough

ryanhayes9

i have a 55 gallon reef. i also have 48" 216 watt HO t5's
is this enough for bta's and clams if so what clams would you try?
If I got some acroporas and places them at the top.... would it be ok?

fanker

if u have individual reflectors than u can keep anything anywhere but if u have a nova i would only keep sps no more than 8" from the light source, and i think it will be hard to keep the clams

fanker

idk i dont think anybodies done it but i think icecap just sells reflectors and u can c if they will fit, thats why u see people with a 8x54w nova over there 55g, becuase u really do loose half the light

ryanhayes9

i fount them but there too big. they would hit the light next to it. what is that reflector stuff made of? i might just buy some of the material and form it to a shaoe like this _
/ 0
the 0 represents the end of the light where the things are that hold the bulbs in place

bojik

Originally Posted by fanker
well t-5s shortest light is 24" but i would get a 2x24w retro and since its so shalow and small than itll be more than enough
I have some nova satelite fixtures that are shorter than that. 18" bulbs. BUt no reflectors.

sdiver

ok. i got my lights working today,but they are way too blue. 4x54w on icecap 660.
my bulbs are 10k,atinic,blue+,aquablue special. any suggestions?

bojik

Originally Posted by Sdiver
ok. i got my lights working today,but they are way too blue. 4x54w on icecap 660.
my bulbs are 10k,atinic,blue+,aquablue special. any suggestions?
switch one of the blues for a 10k

sdiver

ok, use 2 10k's. do i leave the atinic in? which one will be better to switch out with a 10k? blue+ or aquablue special?

clown boy

Finally! We needed a thread like this! Thanks! :cheer:
I have a 135 Gallon 6 foot long reef. What do I need if I want a BTA or a RBTA?

bojik

Originally Posted by Sdiver
ok, use 2 10k's. do i leave the atinic in? which one will be better to switch out with a 10k? blue+ or aquablue special?
Leave the actinic and current 10k. Wich of the other two... *shrugs* Fanker
your suggestion?

sdiver

i swapped the bulbs around to.
front.
actinic
aquablue
blue+
it helped a little. the sand is blinding white!!!