THE T-5 Q&A THREAD

fanker

some t-5 pics
look how bright my lights are, a tek 4x54w 2 actinic+, 1 6k daylight and 1 aquablue

well i was going to post more but photobucket is having maintnence done so ill post in a little bit

lazypinoy

so im upgrading to a 120 instead of having like 4 seperate tanks and just have one big one. my question is it okay to keep softies like frogsapwns,hammers, zoo, shrooms, xenia,slippers, carnations, sun corals alive with 2x140watt t-5's each with its own reflector? and would it be possible to keep hard corals??

fanker

i didnt know they make 140w t-5s im almost positive they only make 80w, but if i were u i would get a 6' 4 or 6x80w of 3 3' 6 bulb fixtures

lazypinoy

my mistake it was a vho. but is there a difference between vho and t-5? my lfs is hookin it up with 4 x140 watt vho's. is that enough?.

puffer32

You can keep clams under nova's, I have 2 and afew monti caps. I know I can keep acros, need to get trates down below 20 first though. I do have 8 bulbs, so that might be the reason.

fanker

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
my mistake it was a vho. but is there a difference between vho and t-5? my lfs is hookin it up with 4 x140 watt vho's. is that enough?.
t-5s are smaller in diameter, and putout way more light and even more with INDIVIDUAL reflectors, i domt think u can keeo a whole lot with vho but u can get a 4x80w t-5 and have almost no linits

litlepig11

Originally Posted by puffer32
You can keep clams under nova's, I have 2 and afew monti caps. I know I can keep acros, need to get trates down below 20 first though. I do have 8 bulbs, so that might be the reason.
this post i just what we need
we are building a t-5 light unit from scrach. did i understand that the indvual reflectors are VERY important, and i should get them instead of putting them into my exsiting reflector.
my next question is what bulbs should i get. i have a 100 gallon tank i would like to keep clams. i have a maize brain, birds nest, zoos etc. i was looking to have 4 bulbs. i can have 2 54 bulbs per HO ballast right? i could go up to 6 t-5 bulbs, if i need to. right now i have one 175 wt MH and one t8 10k.
oh and what is nova?
thanks for helping

fanker

are u running the t-5s and mh or just t-5s because if its just t-5s i wouldnt go with anything less than 6 bulbs
and a nova is a t-5 fixture that is cheaper but it only has 1 reflector so i really dont recoment novas there not worth it

clown boy

Let me try again.
Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Finally! We needed a thread like this! Thanks! :cheer:
I have a 135 Gallon 6 foot long reef. What do I need if I want a BTA or a RBTA?

fanker

o shut sorry
for a 6 foot iether a 4/6x80w or 2 3' 4/6x39w
the 2 3' 6x39w would be best to keep anything
or an aquatinics 72" fixture that is a 2x3' fixtures in 1

puffer32

Originally Posted by litlepig11
this post i just what we need
we are building a t-5 light unit from scrach. did i understand that the indvual reflectors are VERY important, and i should get them instead of putting them into my exsiting reflector.
my next question is what bulbs should i get. i have a 100 gallon tank i would like to keep clams. i have a maize brain, birds nest, zoos etc. i was looking to have 4 bulbs. i can have 2 54 bulbs per HO ballast right? i could go up to 6 t-5 bulbs, if i need to. right now i have one 175 wt MH and one t8 10k.
oh and what is nova?
thanks for helping
The nova extreme is a brand of t5's that my lfs sells, he swears by them, I did some research on them and decided they were right for our tank. We are very happy with them From what I understand their reflectors aren't the greatest, but we got a deal on 8 bulbs, so I knew we would have plenty of lighting to support what we want to keep, with or without the best reflectors. If we were going with a 4 bulb set up for a smaller tank,that couldn't hold 8 bulbs, we might have gone with another brand. I really liked the fact the novas came complete with fans and legs, they work for us.

laddy

Fanker, do you have a special interest in T-5 demand or something? Not trying to be rude, but a majority of your posts are about T5 lighting.

fanker

well i have had all lighting, pc vho mh and t-5 and flat out mh are the best but t-5s are the closest to mh and cheaper to run and they last longer, and there not as hot, they have a very sleek disign and are very brihgt and have very high par for what they are.

hatessushi

Fanker wrote;
well i have had all lighting, pc vho mh and t-5 and flat out mh are the best but t-5s are the closest to mh and cheaper to run and they last longer, and there not as hot, they have a very sleek disign and are very brihgt and have very high par for what they are.

Agree!!

laddy

Originally Posted by fanker
Well then, I respect your passion. I'm starting a third tank and am going T5 just so that I can say I've tried it. I'm going to make it an all euphyllia, 40 gallon, with two ocellaris. What would you recommend?

fanker

if its a 36" tank and if it is its probably real deep so i would go with a 6x39w only because its so deep, but if its 4' than a 4x54w will be way more than enough, i would recomend tek, or ati and aquactinics but i thing they only make 48" and 72"