THE T-5 Q&A THREAD

swabearf16

Looks like I found some experts. What's the performance difference between VHO and T5? Why would you pick one over the other for a reef setup?

fanker

vho arent anythere compared to pc's and pc's arent ne where compared to t-5s a 4x54w t-5 fixture has more par(tested) than a 2x150w 10k mh

tonyd

I've been looking for a new lighting system for my 180g tank. I have everything from blasto's to acro's. I am interested in the best system, price is not an issue.
So far I've been comparing T5's, LED's, MH's and T5/MH combo. I've come to the conclusion that a T5/MH would satisfy my needs. I love the shimmer of Halides and I love the idea of having multiple T5 bulbs so I can maximize the light spectrum for growth and color.
Through my research thus far I've found that Sfigoloi (sp?) from {edit link} and Photon plus from {edit link}are the two fixtures that have the most effective combination. My question is...Am I heading in the right direction for getting the best lighting money can buy? I considered LED, but I don't believe it's quite where it needs to be yet. I think in the future that it will be successful. What are my other options?

mfinnegan

Franker:
Since you seem to know lots on this subject....we are looking at Aquactinics or Nova Extreme....any thoughts?
The Nova would be $200 cheaper, but...what's your opinion....Thanks in advance.....

dueces

I just purchased the 36" Aquactinics fixture and love it. Very nice. I had the Current orbit fixture before and was sceptical about going to T5's but after 2 days i could notice my corals looked better then ever. The fixture is rock solid design. The only thing is that when you put the legs on the fixture it doesn't sit great on the top of the tank but I am the only one that notices it.
Fanker: Thanks for the advice on T5's. With my setup can I keep any coral other then SPS? what about clams?

dueces

I wanted to check to make sure. I have 5 39w T5 in a 46g that is about 20 deep
I think I should be able to keep anything.

fanker

Originally Posted by mfinnegan
Franker:
Since you seem to know lots on this subject....we are looking at Aquactinics or Nova Extreme....any thoughts?
The Nova would be $200 cheaper, but...what's your opinion....Thanks in advance.....
aquatinics, i nevver recommend nove cause they dont have individual reflectors which are the main part of t-5s and ull need a 8x54w nova to meet the par of a 4x54w tek

reefboys

Hey guys I need to upgrade my lights on my 210 gallon. I've heard real good things about T5's but don't know much about them. The tank is 72 inches long and I'm on somewhat of a tight budget. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, MATT

fanker

aquatinics have this newish light that is 2 36" fixtures in 1 which is 72" and i think its 14-17bulbs at 39w which is plenty of light

deric203

Fanker,
135 gal tank 24" deep, 6' long. Want to keep fish/coral/clams.
pick a light. specific, I'm kinda hard headed.
Thanks,
Deric

stickman

Originally Posted by dueces
I wanted to check to make sure. I have 5 39w T5 in a 46g that is about 20 deep
I think I should be able to keep anything.
so is this ok to keep all corals<sps and clams> :notsure: i might go with this setup

fanker

Originally Posted by Deric203
Fanker,
135 gal tank 24" deep, 6' long. Want to keep fish/coral/clams.
pick a light. specific, I'm kinda hard headed.
Thanks,
Deric
id go with the aquatinics 72" fixture its 2 3 foot fixtures in 1 and has 14 bulbs ull be limit less

joebob7

i have a 24g tank 24"long
i have looked at some light fixtures
what would be the best t-5 lighting fixture under $150 that could keep zoos shrooms and some other soft corals?

stickman

Originally Posted by Stickman
so is this ok to keep all corals<sps and clams> :notsure: i might go with this setup
fanker...the aquatinics 36" t-5 fixture 5-39w on a 46g bow does the above statement reign true? thanks in advance!

scooby1350

Man I wish I would have found these forums before a blow $70 and lights and end caps for my t-12's setup. But everyone I talked to said MH or VHO only.
Well right now I have 2 - VHO 48" = 220 watt
1- Actinic 03
1- AquaSun