THE T-5 Q&A THREAD

P

polyps

I just got the new nova extreme 36" fixture with 4x39w bulbs what could I keep with that? by the way if i put in some icecap reflectors would that bring it up to par with the tek lights?

joebob7

could hard corals be kept with nove extreme t5 lighting
i have a 20g tank that is 24" long and 15" deep

P

polyps

Originally Posted by Polyps
I just got the new nova extreme 36" fixture with 4x39w bulbs what could I keep with that? by the way if i put in some icecap reflectors would that bring it up to par with the tek lights?
bump

chilwil84

people make the par coment about the nova saying the individual teks give double the light of them without owning them or testing them there is an older thread that does give tested values of certain brands of bulbs at different kelvin readings. they tested bulbs by geisman, ge, ati, etc. i am not saying that the one big reflector of the novas is better but to just say the tek 5 is double is streching without testing is not something people with good experience in reefs should be throwing out at newbies

fanker

Originally Posted by chilwil84
people make the par coment about the nova saying the individual teks give double the light of them without owning them or testing them there is an older thread that does give tested values of certain brands of bulbs at different kelvin readings. they tested bulbs by geisman, ge, ati, etc. i am not saying that the one big reflector of the novas is better but to just say the tek 5 is double is streching without testing is not something people with good experience in reefs should be throwing out at newbies
ive had the nova and i hated them they were so dull compared to the tek

chilwil84

this is dull and looks arent par my lights look brighter than many mh but that is our vision not the photo value to our coral

teresaq

Ok, i did it. I bought 2 - 36 inch-8 bulb fixtures to go over my 150. I sure hope this looks better, and my corals like this light better then my mh.

smccarthy

I have a Coralife T-5 Aqualight 2x21W Double. Is this enough lighting for a 40 gal. to keep Anemones and Soft Corals. I have three Anemones now that seem to be doing good.

smccarthy

Originally Posted by smccarthy
I have a Coralife T-5 Aqualight 2x21W Double. Is this enough lighting for a 40 gal. to keep Anemones and Soft Corals. I have three Anemones now that seem to be doing good.
Does anyone have an opinion on the above?

fanker

sorry everybody i havent posted anything lately its cause im getting out of the hobby, selling everything

bojik

Originally Posted by fanker
sorry everybody i havent posted anything lately its cause im getting out of the hobby, selling everything
Decided to sell off it all?

wangotango

Originally Posted by chilwil84
maybe not double the par value but its the individual reflectors that make the T5. everything that fanker was saying was true. tests have been done by hobbyist testing the par of idividual reflectors vs single reflectors, and fan cooling vs non-cooled, and the fixtures that made it to the top were ATI and Aquactincs. why, because of their use of individual reflectors and fans. im not saying that novas are junk, and in a shallower tank with lower lighting demands it may be ideal, but if you have a larger tank, you want all the light you can get.
sorry to hear that you're leaving the hobby fanker, are you still going to be hanging around here?
-Justin

fanker

ya im selling everything i think shane is gunna but everything cause he might be setting up a 65g, but i will stick around and pop up everyonce and a while just not like i used to

bojik

ya im selling everything i think shane is gunna but everything cause he might be setting up a 65g, but i will stick around and pop up everyonce and a while just not like i used to
found something else to devote your time to?

fanker

ya i have been into dirtbiking my whole life and i got into reefing in 2000 and its time to put my money back into dirtbiking and my truck

bojik

ya i have been into dirtbiking my whole life and i got into reefing in 2000 and its time to put my money back into dirtbiking and my truck
What all you have left to sell off?

fanker

well i dont know yet cause zanoshano is setting up a 65g and needs alot of my stuff but i have lights left and corals but i dont ship sorry

sign guy

fanker I am setting up a 210 right now with three 250w 10000k MH's I want a 50/50 look light you see with the pc's but dont know how many 03 antic t 5's ill need what would you sudjest? btw who makes a good ballest/reflector