THE T-5 Q&A THREAD

drea

oops, so i should return my nove t5's w/ 4x 39 watt lighting for the teks? or something else? they do seem pretty bright? i mean, can;t i keep almost anything?

drea

my tank is a 70 g tall.... but i read a thread about ice caps or another brand that makes the individual reflectors for the novas, would it be worth it?

sign guy

Originally Posted by fanker
id get about 4 pure actinics
what size 4 30 inch bulbs? and is there a diff between 03 antic and pure antic?

autofreak44

what kind of setup would i need if i were to get a 30 gallon sps tank about 24-30 inches deep??? full setup and estimated price pleez :happyfish

drea

so what the equal in another brand light that i can upgrade to for around the same price?
(my 2 post are right above)
thanx

4 inches is fine,
I also have a 55gallon tank and i planning to keep some corals and anemones, what type of tek lighting i should get and can also please give me the lamp setting i should get...

drea

i've seen some on the bay site really cheap, but they don't come w/ bulbs or acrylic protector and maybe some other stuff too

05xrunner

Franker..Since you seem to know alot about these t5.
I have an orbit 4x65 PC light now on my 75g...I just ordered the nova 4x54 T5 light as well and I am going to run both light systems. Would that be enough for clams and anything i wanna keep. So the tank will have 260w PC and 216w T5's

fanker,
Like what i said in the previous post, i will have anemones and corals in my 55 gallon tank and i decided to buy the TEK T5 6 Bulbs. I am looking at some Giesemann bulbs and i need to know what type of bulbs i should get...Can also please tell what will be the setting of the bulbs( location to place the bulbs and hours i need to turn on & off)
Please Help

saltn00b

you generally want actinics on the the edges, and the whiter lamps towards the middle.
actinics should run first and cut off last, you can run them for 10-14 hours, and the whiter bulbs should represent the brightest part of the day, so they should run 6-8 hours. its really your choice for the actual start and stop times.
superactinics and pure actinics are great bulb choices, and then the rest depends on what color you really like your tank to look, more blue should be higher K and more white should be 10k ish and more growth, and more oranges and reds mixed in should have some 6500k.

V

vicegrip

I may have missed it but how often do you need to replace the t-5's?

sturner

I know there have been alot of general questions about the t-5's but I was hoping someone could shed some light on my particular tank. I am currently running a coralife 50/50 96w along with 2 NO florescents on my 29g tall (24x12x24) and keeping shrooms, some zoas and gsp. I want to set up my other 29g which is a long tank (48x12x12) to keep more corals, maybe a clam or anenome. After I put the sand in I'll have a pretty short water column, what would you guys recommend for lighting this tank? I will probably have to retrofit whatever I get to fit in my hood...

nachoboi

whoa i never thought there was a t-5 qn a thread here. well being the expert u are, do u think sps and other hard corals can survive on 6x54watt Helios lighting systems? how about 6x80watt helios?

bojik

for a 29 gal and being that shalow u lill only need 2 54w from tek or ice cap
On a 20L what could you keep with a pair reflected set 4 NO's with a total of 72 watts.

laxzach

What T5s would I need for a 30 gallon 18 inches deep and 30 inches long?? I want to be able to keep everything from SPS to soft corals.