the UPGRADE has started

dirk_brijs

OK finaly got things going a little on my as the tittle said 165Gl display I have now to a 1000Gl total system upgrade.
The new DT tank would be a 600Gl 118" x 40" x 28"
a sump of 187Gl and a 150Gl Refugium will be completing the system.
2 water change tanks will be built as well of 120Gl each to have easy water changes implemented.
to give you a little idea on what has been planned.

dirk_brijs

I hope you guys will stick with this project as also mention previous in the title it will be a long and slow process of getting things up and running. I currently have most of the equipment though still ordering bits and pieces.
We have completed the first stage of the house rebuilt as we installed a Patio in our garden which will house the entire filter system under it.
Next stage to the house will be hole in the wall for the tank close up another wall to remove a window. At that point I hope to receive the tank as well and get things realy going.
here a pic of the roof we have built.

dirk_brijs

yesterday another piece of the puzzle arrived. I had the Sump made allready and will for now be used as a Sump/Fuge setup for the current 165Gl.
Guess it will be big enough as the new filtration will be larger then the actualy DT I have for now.

dirk_brijs

Ok finally got the new fuge/sump set up connected to the current (remember smaller) DT
I attached some picture so you guys can follow and would like advice on what I could or need to change to even get better results out of it.
PICTURE 1 Current DT (165Gl mixed reef)
is being drained by a 2" silent overflow.

PICTURE 2 1st compartment with a Reeflo Orca 180ext skimmer (rated for 600Gl)
The compartment is a total of 57Gl

PICTURE 3 is a compartment runnin g through the back of the set up to lead the water to the second large compartment. (when the large DT arrives I was thinking on filling it up with mangroves?)

dirk_brijs

PICTURE 4 second large compartment (54gl) when the large DT arrives this will be filled with a second skimmer rated at 750gl (which would make a total skim capacity of 1350gl) for now this compartment will stay empty and used as water volume. (Chiller and Fuge set up pumps are connected out of this compartment)

PICTURE 5 First compartment of my old Fuge/Sump set up that I didnt want to get to waste and cleaned out completely ready to be used again. So first compartment I set up as a DSB with Macro algea (currently Caulerpa in there)
The DSB is about 5" deep) the compartment hold 40gl of water pump feeding is 500GpH

dirk_brijs

hope you guys are still with me?
PICTURE 7 second compartment of old Sump/Fuge. Had a 40Gl compartment spare here and as the wife is crazy for seahorses will be set up as a small seahorse cube. I added some fake decorations and have currently one seahorse in there later more about that one.

PICTURE 8 last 2 compartment to drain back into the main sump set up. The second large compartment of that set up.

dirk_brijs

PICTURE 9 4th compartment in the newest sump/fuge set up. Is a 48Gl compartment which will be filled with LR if they arrive as they are currently still being collected by the local diving club out of the gulf of Thailand.

PICTURE 10 last compartment out of which the return pump pumps the water back the DT. The return pump is a 3500GpH rated Atman pump. When the new large DT arrives will be replaced with a Reeflo Barracuda. The pump is currently dailed back to about 3/4 capacity.

Both fluidizers you see on previous pictures are one filled with Rowa Phos and the other filled with Rowa Carbon.

dirk_brijs

PICTURE 11 the return pump is connected to a 4 way Ocean Motions (2 ways blocked for now but will be completely used with large DT)

PICTURE 12
ending up in a total of 5 modular hose nozzles

dirk_brijs

so to give a complete calculation.
The current DT is 165 Gallon
the new sump/Fuge set up carries a complete water volume of 187 Gallon
the older sump/Fuge set up half used as seahorse Cube holds a total water volume of 110 Gallon.
Which makes the complete water volume in the system at 462 Gallon.
since setting up the new filtration my Nitrate levels have dropped from a constant 20 to now 5ppm. still high but has reduced to this number in 3 days. hopefully will reduce a bit more.
I currently still struggle with some low Phosphate levels but just connected the RowaPhos to the system today so hopefully this will clear up as well.
all other parameters are ideal with just the Calcium maybe on the low side at 400ppm.
I am using real ocean water.

dirk_brijs

will start filling up the last compartment with LR soon now.
Will I have to do something first with the rocks or as they come straight out of the ocean no issues?
I will also be adding a ton of crabs and snails to this compartment to keep the rocks as clean as possible.

geoj

Will I have to do something first with the rocks or as they come straight out of the ocean no issues?
I will also be adding a ton of crabs and snails to this compartment to keep the rocks as clean as possible.
I would QT and cycle the LR. You may find flat worms or some other bad hitchhikers. Things like sponges and delicate algae will die back and it sounds like you have the old tank full of fish and corals fully set up right.

dirk_brijs

the fresh rock arrived earlier then expected.
The guy went diving for them last night. Came straight out of the Gulf with a minimal amount of time out of the water so I figured they could be added straight.
They are full of life and have tons of critters in them which I will leave on them as they will end up in the sump anyways.
here some pictures of the 150Lbs of very life rocks
WHEN THEY ARRIVED

IN THE DESIGNA

dirk_brijs

as I picked up the rocks he gave me 3 seahorses too which he found. He found many more but gave me 3 as he knows about my little on the side SeaHorse compartment for seahorses for the wife.
So a little Christmas present for the wife I guess (will have to keep an eye on that guy though with the wife???
)
if someone can identify the kind of Seahorse they are?

dirk_brijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/389589/the-upgrade-has-started#post_3444532
How do you like the Aqua Illumination LEDs and what are they set to?
I like them alot.
Thing is I dont have any SPS yet so cant give feedback on those but for my mixed softies and Anemones they do wonders. If you would check out some older posts of me you would see when I added the green (I think) magnifica which since then (about 5 months) has tripled in size.
Also all other soft corals have more then doubled in size since purchased. The green mushroom in the center where only about 6 or 7 pieces which took over the complete rock by now.
My bubble corals which are placed on the sand bed have more then tripled so I can not complain about them at all.
Now with the new set up and added turn over and flow I will make the jump and try some SPS placed on the top rocks and keep you guys updated.

dirk_brijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/389589/the-upgrade-has-started#post_3444526
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_brijs
http:///t/389589/the-upgrade-has-started#post_3444468
I would QT and cycle the LR. You may find flat worms or some other bad hitchhikers. Things like sponges and delicate algae will die back and it sounds like you have the old tank full of fish and corals fully set up right.
GeoJ your reply just came too late as I just added it all today.
Hope it will turn out ok though lol
As you mentioned I was hoping it would be full of critters and so to keep the rocks clean of eventual maybe macro algae?
They are all located in the sump anyway and only way to ever reach into the DT would be through a pump which does minimalize the possibility allot I guess?

dirk_brijs

will be going to pick up my peppermint boys today.
Will add 5 peppermint shrimp to my macr algae compartment as it seems my macros are full of Aptaisia.
Those boys did wonders in my DT as I used to have a Apt problem in the beginning but they cleared it all out.
So will be adding some to my sump areas to get things going. Also later tonight will go to the beach to pick up close to 100 nasarius snails and when lucky some sand dollars for my DSB set up and some extras in the DT.
Will also be picking up some other creatures if I find some.
Will keep you guys posted.