*** The US AUTOMAKERS are bleeding us dry!

miaheatlvr

I mean GM and Ford have already burnt through the federal money that was given to them. They both are needing something like 12 BILLION in just operating costs..Now their asking for another 30 billion.. I think this needs to be addressed asap.. I mean Make less cars due to the supply and demand.. Unreal..

sickboy

I'm not a big advocate for letting these companies fail, though now they know there is a safety net from the gov't. I think there needs to be a major 'retooling' of these industries, but the unions won't let this happen. Its an interesting issue. But, from a national defense standpoint, we need manufacturing companies like this in the case WWIII comes to fruition. If we let the Asians make all of the engines, what will we do??
But how do you make them believe that there is no safety net?

cowfishrule

too late.
the precedent has already been set.
how many times have the airlines hit bottom, only to be bailed out by the govt. 2x, if i'm correct. and if im also corrrect, the oil companies were also bailed out 1x, i think in the mid 80's.
"but you helped them, what about us?"
again, if my facts are wrong, pls correct me.

reefraff

I like what Neil Cavuto came up with. We'll bail you out. AFTER you fire your CEO and kick him to the curb with no multi million dollar severance package.
Problem is the Dems are in bed with the Unions so there is no way they will require any Union Concessions. One huge problem GM has is they idle a plant they are obligated for 93% of the payroll costs they would have if they were making cars. Insane

aquaknight

I got an idea....
Let's stop giving tax breaks to foreign manufacters. Let's stop giving huge incentives for foreign makes to build plants here, while US makers are forced to move over the border. Let's practice 'fair trade.' If Japan want's to tariff the living crap out of US cars we try to sell there, so that the Japanese can only afford Japanese makes, place equally large tariffs on Japanese makes here. Then let's see how long US automakers struggle...
Agreed with the Unions. They are trying to stuck the companies dry.

jennythebugg

my personal opinion is if you have to take a loan you shouldnt go on like business as usual you should tighten your belt- stop making new cars cut production and give all the execs a pay cut

miaheatlvr

Now Im hearing that the are asking for 75 BILLION for Just a BAILOUT instead of 50 Billion. On top of the 30 billion they already received. Which they are burning through at a rate of 2.5 billion each per month..

digitydash

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2830106
I got an idea....
Let's stop giving tax breaks to foreign manufacters. Let's stop giving huge incentives for foreign makes to build plants here, while US makers are forced to move over the border. Let's practice 'fair trade.' If Japan want's to tariff the living crap out of US cars we try to sell there, so that the Japanese can only afford Japanese makes, place equally large tariffs on Japanese makes here. Then let's see how long US automakers struggle...
Agreed with the Unions. They are trying to stuck the companies dry.
Toyota and a few other companys already have plant in the US.Also 90% of chevys and fords been made in mexico and canada for a long time now.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by digitydash
http:///forum/post/2830336
Toyota and a few other companys already have plant in the US.Also 90% of chevys and fords been made in mexico and canada for a long time now.
Correct, because it would be crazy for Toyota and the other manufactures not to gobble up some of the offers the US is giving/gave them to come here, while our domestic manufactures struggle, to build some of their US only models, like the Camry and Accord, which are too fat and big to sell well elsewhere

As far as 90% of Chevy's being built elsewhere
, seriously. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_factories Take a stop there. Currently, only the Silverado and Impala are made in Canada. And for what's it's worth, every Cadillac is built right here

Another lovely thing we can thank Bill Clinton for!! Trade treaties with other countries this is why everything is made in china and nobody can get a job because the companies can pay a 1/4 of the wages in Mexico.
The amount of money envolved in this bail out could have paid off every home morgage in america but instead they desided to pad a few peoples pockets instead of all of America if they had payed off our loans we could afford to spend more and boost the economy and level out the markets. This just goes to show you that MR. Obama's share the wealth speech will never happen that is unless they start taking from the middle class and giving it to the welfare users

zman1

Originally Posted by slt wtr stupid
http:///forum/post/2830474
never happen that is unless they start taking from the middle class and giving it to the welfare users
I agree Clinton reaching across the isle with these unfair to the US worker trade deals is killing us. Good thing Obama wants to renegotiate them... (We value the investor over the worker) Now the investor (includes all tax payers too) got hurt this time from the greed, but the investor is a gambler, they produce nothing.
Are you talking about the 750k that have lost their jobs this year in the welfare users. There will be much more of those to come over after unemployment runs out, during the next two months. It's going to be a tough Christmas for a lot of people. It took a while to get here and it's going to take a while to get out...

digitydash

I put alot of blame on the US car makers.They put all their eggs in one basket with trucks.Instead of retooling their car manufacturing.Then when gas went threw the roof they didnt have very many gas sipers to fall back on.Now their chasing the market.

no i was not counting the truly unemployed and still looking for a job in my comment my family also depends on a paycheck that comes from the auto industry our plant has already cut production uped insurance costs and done lots of restructuring just so they dont have to lay off but i'm sure its comming, the sad thing is that only those that use and abuse the welfare system are going to be the only ones who are going to be able to eat before to long. If America was still producing its own goods the prices may be higher and of better quality i might add but at least We The People as a hole would still have a job. I dont see MR. OBAMA how ever doing much in this area it would be nice but not realistic in my oppinion. Think about this also during the depression 90% of the people lived on farms and grew there own food now 90% of the people live in the city and cant get food unless they can buy it in the store.

bang guy

Let them fail, they are whales trying to swim in a creek.
Their failure will open the doors for smaller start-up manufacturers not burdened by the excesses of union greed and the excesses of upper management.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2830661
Let them fail, they are whales trying to swim in a creek.
Their failure will open the doors for smaller start-up manufacturers not burdened by the excesses of union greed and the excesses of upper management.
SOUNDS GOOD BUT WONT HAPPEN

bionicarm

Allowing Ford and GM to fail will have a major trickle-down affect. I'm doing contract work right now for a major supplier to both Ford and GM. They are barely staying afloat themselves. This will affect the companies that supply these auto manufacturers with glass, ******** parts, and exterior parts. The suppliers will begin massives layoffs, and go out of business themselves. So unfortunately, letting the Big 3 fail won't just affect them.
I don't agree with a 'bail out', but something needs to be down to keep one of the last American Manufacturing Giants viable in the world market. Can you honestly envision seeing nothing but Toyota's, Nissan's, Hyundai's, and KIA's on American roads in 10 years if Ford, GM, and Chrysler were to go under? The automotive industry has always been the heart and soul of this country's work force and ethic. America invented the damn thing.

lovethesea

legacy union costs are killing them. I will bet they close/idle and reopen to break unions. Its been done before with other companies. Just a little time and patience.
non union Job with decent fair wages vs. no job hmmm no brainer.
unions are usless anymore. Where were they a few weeks ago when Chrsyler layed off approx 1200 plant workers. They shrugged their shoulders and walked away.
Where were they when Ford closed a major plant last year? And so on and so on.........

zman1

Originally Posted by lovethesea
http:///forum/post/2830786
legacy union costs are killing them. I will bet they close/idle and reopen to break unions.
I blame the LACK of CORPORATE LEADERs. The unions and WORKERS don't choose what to build, the leaderlessship does. They were building what the US consumer wanted then and didn't have the vision or forethought to see the future.

zman1

A company I am familiar with did break the unions in manufacturing and moved the plants to right-to-work states and now is planning to close those and move them to China. No, I am not, nor have I ever been a union worker or plant worker.
Explain this one...
We value the investor over the worker.