There is an overall yellowish tint in my tank

I have a 60 gallon acrylic tank with lots of live rock. About 70 pounds. I just recently got a 175 watt metal halide setup. I traded it for some guy who i think was growing herbs. it's got a 175 watt PHILLIPS MH bulb. I'm not sure if it's a 10,000k, 14k or 20k. But in the day when it's on, there's just a yellowy tint in the water. The light is very bright white. What are some sugestions? I see so many pictures of these aquariums on this site, with bright lighting, but with more of a blue tint. And that's what i want.
Any advise?
Should i look into getting a new bulb? the guy i traded with said it was only 3 months old. If new MH bulb is sugguested, give me some names of good ones.
Where does the nice blue hue come from?
For your consideration, I'm planning on getting a variety of clams, and SPS

hobrien

I think it is lower than 10k on the scale for bulbs and that will also give you the yellow tint.....

stanlalee

I forget what causes it but yellow water is common/normal effect of reef tanks. I never noticed in my tank but did use to notice it when dumping water during water changes. carbon and UV should help get rid of it.

D

dennis210

Reading thru this thread I am caught by two possibilities. Since you traded for a light that was used for growing herbs etc. The buld is probably old and MH bulbs shift color spectrum at the end of there useful lifespan. So a new bulb might be in order. The other was already stated in that yellow water neeeds to be ran through a filter of activated carbon. Try taking some water out in a clear drinking glass and check it for what color it has. If it is yellow then run carbon. If it is clear then you bulb needs changing.

spanko

Originally Posted by kevinbeatzeus
http:///forum/post/2681761
I traded it for some guy who i think was growing herbs.

Probably like a 6700k bulb for his "herb" growing. Get yourself a nice 14k bulb. Is it a single end (Mogul base) or a double end HQI?

candycane

Bang might be talking about gelbstoff or gilvin. It forms in the water and literaly sucks light up as it comes into the tank. Carbon tends to get rid of it because it's caused by the decay of organic matter. Skimming can get rid of it sometimes also. Who knows

T

tizzo

You said you got the bulb from your friend who was growing herbs with it? Plants benefit most from 5500 kelvin bulbs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were that K temp.
If they are, that would definitly make for yellow looking water!