Things I don't believe in

snakeblitz33

1. Paying for designer salt mixes.
2. Uv sterilizers
3. Non-hobbyist tank sitters. No faith in them at all. Lol
4. I dont believe in not having failsafe systems and redundancy in a setup
5. I dont believe a water change will solve all your problems.
6. I dont believe you should mess with your tank every single day.
7. I dont believe in dosing for individual trace elements.
8. I dont believe in stuffing a tank full of fish and not thinking there are consequences.
9. I dont believe in not having a refugium somewhere in the system.
10. I dont believe in in-tank deep sand beds.

gemmy

I think he is referring to people like me using brands like Aqua Vitro. However, I just did the math and Aqua Vitro is going to end up being cheaper than RC for my tank.

flower

[*]
I don't believe in using miracle mud in a tank or refugium (long story, huge serious consequences)
[*]
I don't believe in dosing without testing EVERY TIME.
[*]
I don't believe in dosing PH buffers (find out what caused the problem, and fix it)
[*]
I no longer believe in keeping anemones (AKA beautiful fish killers)
[*]
I don't believe in only live rock
for decor (boring)
I don't believe in getting a fish that will outgrow the tank, and have to be re-homed later on.
I don't believe in starving the fish, only feeding them once a week or every other day. (it stunts their growth, dulls their color...and makes them mean, fighting for every morsel of food)
I don't believe in starting the first cycle with a live fish.
I don't believe in asking for advice, then getting an attitude because it's not what you wanted to hear.
I don't believe in being mean to others.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/395392/things-i-dont-believe-in/20#post_3520337
I think he is referring to people like me using brands like Aqua Vitro. However, I just did the math and Aqua Vitro is going to end up being cheaper than RC for my tank.

100% agree with you Gemmy. The math works out. I have been using Aqua Vitro for over a year and if you buy the big bucket (225g) it can be cheaper then RC.
The place I buy it has a "Pet Club" and coupons that make it a great deal.

gemmy

I bought 2 buckets of the Aqua Vitro for 75.00 bucks each and those buckets will last me at least a year.

acrylic51

Wait!!!! I like being mean..... I honestly don't consider AquaVitro designer though.... designer in my mind would be ESV. Seth and I had talked previously about salt.

kilofey

I'd just like to chime in for whoever it was that said snake was giving bad advice... as I'm reading it, he (and no one else on this thread) are giving any advice at all, just stating things that tend to ruffle their feathers in the hobby.
To be honest, I would have LOVED to see a thread like this when I first started my tank. I was so neurotic about crashing my tank because of all the "this is the only way" info that tends to show up on this site. I would have loved to read a thread that would have possibly helped me RELAX with my tank. I was testing daily because I was so paranoid that things would go haywire. It would have been nice to read something about how truly tough these delicate systems really are. My tank gets neglected from time to time, but I still have it and everything is thriving, this is because I've learned through my own mistakes what my system can and can't handle.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395392/things-i-dont-believe-in/20#post_3520358

[*]
I don't believe in using miracle mud in a tank or refugium (long story, huge serious consequences)
[*]
I don't believe in dosing without testing EVERY TIME.
[*]
I don't believe in dosing PH buffers (find out what caused the problem, and fix it)
[*]
I no longer believe in keeping anemones (AKA beautiful fish killers)
[*]
I don't believe in only live rock
for decor (boring)
I don't believe in getting a fish that will outgrow the tank, and have to be re-homed later on.
I don't believe in starving the fish, only feeding them once a week or every other day. (it stunts their growth, dulls their color...and makes them mean, fighting for every morsel of food)
I don't believe in starting the first cycle with a live fish.
I don't believe in asking for advice, then getting an attitude because it's not what you wanted to hear.
I don't believe in being mean to others.
You're an angel Flower

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/395392/things-i-dont-believe-in/20#post_3520391
I'd just like to chime in for whoever it was that said snake was giving bad advice... as I'm reading it, he (and no one else on this thread) are giving any advice at all, just stating things that tend to ruffle their feathers in the hobby.
To be honest, I would have LOVED to see a thread like this when I first started my tank. I was so neurotic about crashing my tank because of all the "this is the only way" info that tends to show up on this site. I would have loved to read a thread that would have possibly helped me RELAX with my tank. I was testing daily because I was so paranoid that things would go haywire. It would have been nice to read something about how truly tough these delicate systems really are. My tank gets neglected from time to time, but I still have it and everything is thriving, this is because I've learned through my own mistakes what my system can and can't handle.
Hah, thanks for defending me. I appreciate it.
... and your right. It's nice to have a thread every now and then that lets people relax about their tank issues from time to time.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/395392/things-i-dont-believe-in/20#post_3520391
Hi, Snakes advice really wasn't "bad" advice...but it could be if taken at face value, lots of folks read something and runs with it. Folks don't always use common sense, which Snake said he assumed they did. I just think it's best to give the explanation when a broad statement is said like...seeing nothing wrong with using tap water. After he posted his explanation, I was content that all that needed to be explained was taken care of, and I told him so.
Snakes a good guy, and super helpful. As for giving advice....
...we share or opinions and experiences.... and if a person does as that, it's giving advice. Except for those asking for help...every time a person posts, you get advice. Saxman has been chiming in quite a bit here lately.

bullitr

you pretty much covered it.
Add one, not being able to have 2 dwaf angelfish in the same system
I done this many times even on a small tank

kilofey

Hi, Snakes advice really wasn't "bad" advice...but it could be if taken at face value, lots of folks read something and runs with it. Folks don't always use common sense, which Snake said he assumed they did.  I just think it's best to give the explanation when a broad statement is said like...seeing nothing wrong with using tap water. After he posted his explanation, I was content that all that needed to be explained was taken care of, and I told him so.
Snakes a good guy, and super helpful. As for giving advice....:%%: ...we share or opinions and experiences.... and if a person does as that, it's giving advice. Except for those asking for help...every time a person posts, you get advice. Saxman has been chiming in quite a bit here lately.
You have a good point, while there are lots of people that think their way is the only way, there are others who refer to this site as their saltwater bible. And I'll admit, I wouldn't be where I am now if this site didn't exist, BUT I also made a lot of mistakes (which I learned from) and I'm glad I did.
All that said, I'd like to add... I don't believe in taking things people say (weather its a LFS guy or someone on swf.com) and using it as you're bible. Make your own mistakes, learn from them and better yourself because of it. But do research and filter out bad info, and look for ways that can get you good results with less work. Work smarter, not harder :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/395392/things-i-dont-believe-in/20#post_3520524
You have a good point, while there are lots of people that think their way is the only way, there are others who refer to this site as their saltwater bible. And I'll admit, I wouldn't be where I am now if this site didn't exist, BUT I also made a lot of mistakes (which I learned from) and I'm glad I did.
All that said, I'd like to add... I don't believe in taking things people say (weather its a LFS guy or someone on swf.com) and using it as you're bible. Make your own mistakes, learn from them and better yourself because of it. But do research and filter out bad info, and look for ways that can get you good results with less work. Work smarter, not harder :)
Hi,
We all learn from our mistakes, but for our SW critters, it's life or death decisions. The problem is that with all the abundant information out there, a beginner wouldn't know the good advice from the bad.
This site taught, and is still teaching me so much. I like when folks chime in and agree with what somebody said, or call out something that doesn't sound quite right. That kind of creates IMO a safety net so to speak. I trust the folks on this site more then any other source of information...and if I get info from someplace else, this is a great place to bounce it off the others here for opinions.
LOL...I have my high opinions of a few of the "professors" here on the site. Snake, while not quite the "professor" is one person I rely on quite often, he speaks normal English so I at least understand what he is saying. I love his "book" articles. I really appreciate the fact he takes the time to even post the "How to do ____" Snakes method.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, it takes me a little time to really understand something. I'm sure that I'm not the only one, so if I read something that I actually know a little about (using tap water for example) I feel the need to call it out for more information...not so much for myself, but I can kind of see where somebody else may take that advice at face value not using/knowing "common sense" rules.
Snake is very relaxed on things, he knows he can fix it if it goes bad, and he isn't worried. A beginner wouldn't even know the risks. I feel a beginner is much better off doing regular water changes, then try and calculate additives needed to keep things up to snuff.
One time not so long ago, one person was dumping iodine in his tank, no testing...he was told his shrimp needed it...so away he went to make sure his beloved shrimp had all it could use. Same situation with using purple up, they don't realize it's calcium dosing, they just want the pretty purple Coraline algae to grow. We can't just assume the beginner knows the risks, has common sense, or has done their research. I really believe in explaining things like the person knows nothing at all.

snakeblitz33

So, ... everyone is ignorant until you educate them?
I assume that most people who can afford the hobby have some common sense in their noggin. I don't like to think that everyone that I talk to is ignorant until proven otherwise.
You're right, I am pretty relaxed about a lot of aspects of the hobby. I like to speak in layman's terms about the hobby instead of throwing out biological terms that I, quite frankly, am very familiar with because that is my major in college. I don't want to speak in terms that are over peoples heads on this forum. I could, but I won't. I think what makes a good professor is being able to teach people new things in a way that they can relate. If I use all of the Biology and Chemistry terms that I know about the hobby, then I don't feel like I could teach anyone anything, because they would be too confused and move on to someone who can actually speak in terms they can understand. Besides, this is not a Biology class where I should teach you terms and concepts and how to read and analyze data... this is a hobby and as such, I keep it simple.
I'm not a professor... yet I almost have a college degree so that I can teach. HAH, that's too funny.

snakeblitz33

By the way, I'm not mad or upset or anything at you Flower. All's good with us. I enjoy this banter between us on occasion. Nothing personal.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/395392/things-i-dont-believe-in/20#post_3520557
By the way, I'm not mad or upset or anything at you Flower. All's good with us. I enjoy this banter between us on occasion. Nothing personal.
I'm so glad that I didn't offend you....I keep thinking I have to explain why I posted what I did, it must have come off like I attacked you because someone felt the need to defend you. I try really hard to be nice to everyone and sometimes it just doesn't come out that way.
I call folks "professor" when they do indeed talk over my head. You speak nice plain English, LOL...I think you misunderstood my comment. When I call a person a professor, although I hold them in high regard, I don't understand what they said. I don't CALL you a professor, but I rely on your expertise often....What I said really was meant as a compliment, not that I didn't consider you as smart as those I call professor. I was commenting on the fact you do indeed speak in a way easy for me to understand.