think I have the longest cycle !!!

steve24

its been 7 weeks today, my amm is 0, trites are .25, and the trates are STILL sky high.
some say make a water change, some say don`t.... what to do, "i`m so confused"

kadella

I would agree on a somewhat large water change if your tank is still a 55 - what are you running for filtration? What is in the tank besides the 75 lbs LR? Did you say in a prior post you have shrimps? ***)

steve24

i`m running a bac-pac skimmer, a emperior 400 bio wheel filter, 2 maxi jet 1200`s. i have a small cleanup crew and one fire shrimp, along with the 75 lbs of LR ...

kadella

Thats just about what I had when I cycled- except for I had an aqua c skimmer. Now, what do you have for a substrate and what did you use to start the cycle - uncured LR, dead shrimp, live fish? This is really long for a cycle, and you've already done water changes... I'm thinking you must have had a huge ammonia spike from the method you used, converted to nitrite & now you're seeing the prolonged nitrate spike from the initial amm. load. Anyone else have any ideas?

steve24

i have the black arginite sand, and i just used the 75 lbs of "uncured" LR to start the cycle, i might have messed up some because i didn`t really scrub the rock before i put it in the tank, i more or less just rinsed the rock of first....

O

oreo12

I would use another test kit. Nitrates will stay high the only way You will get them down is with water changes. Nitrites should be 0. The uncured live rock is more than likly why it is taking so long.

steve24

i`m using Salifert test kits, and even the lfs tests were the same as mine ... thinking about doing like a 15g water change, there can only be about 40g or less in the tank with all the LR and sand ...

aufishman

Originally Posted by kadella
Thats just about what I had when I cycled- except for I had an aqua c skimmer. Now, what do you have for a substrate and what did you use to start the cycle - uncured LR, dead shrimp, live fish? This is really long for a cycle, and you've already done water changes... I'm thinking you must have had a huge ammonia spike from the method you used, converted to nitrite & now you're seeing the prolonged nitrate spike from the initial amm. load. Anyone else have any ideas?
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA031
nitrate is the end product. The fact that he has 50+ppm nitrates means that his tank has completed the cycle. The only way you are going to remove nitrates is by uptake from plants (i.e. if you are having algae problems you have an issue with bioload) or through regular water exchanges. 50 ppm nitrate is not going to hurt the fish. I can't speak much for the Anthozoans, but 50 ppm nitrate won't hurt fish, nor crustaceans. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to keep them lower, but it's not cause to freak out. High nitrogen=poor water quality=higher risk of things like bacterial infection. Steve, exchange some water. It looks like you should be good to go.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by steve24
so should i make one large water change, or smaller ones over a few days ???
You should do 20-25% water change every other day to really remove nitrates!!! Did you test for Ammonia during cycling? IMO, I think you let the Ammonia go too high since you were doing all uncured LR with unknown amount of die offs. With Ammonia go up sky high probably give you more die offs. That's probably why the cycling is taking so long to complete. Just do those water changes like I've mentioned, it should lower your nitrites and nitrates. Then test your water a day after completion to give you more accurate results. :happyfish

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
You should do 20-25% water change every other day to really remove nitrates!!! Did you test for Ammonia during cycling? IMO, I think you let the Ammonia go too high since you were doing all uncured LR with unknown amount of die offs. With Ammonia go up sky high probably give you more die offs. That's probably why the cycling is taking so long to complete. Just do those water changes like I've mentioned, it should lower your nitrites and nitrates. Then test your water a day after completion to give you more accurate results. :happyfish
I agree with the large frequent water changes.

steve24

ok, thanks ALL... time to go to work, i will do a 10-15g water change in the morning !!!
thanks again, and drink one for me while i`m at work ...lol

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by steve24
ok, thanks ALL... time to go to work, i will do a 10-15g water change in the morning !!!
thanks again, and drink one for me while i`m at work ...lol
I'll be drinking Maloxx!!! I got sick at work today cause they pissed me off. Horrible heartburn! So I took off without saying a word, they know I didn't feel good....

murph

With your ammonia at zero your almost there
. After the trites go zero you will get a more accurate reading on those nitrates. A lot of kits work first by converting to nitrite so any nitrites in the tank can give you a inaccurate reading on your nitrates.
IMO water changes at any time cant hurt but if after your nitrites start reading zero and you still have high nitrates you can do a 50 percent water change to cut those in half. There should be some diatom algae beginning to form (the ugly brown stuff). When this stuff appears its a pretty good indicator your cycle is finished and time to add your cleanup crew. However make sure the diatom and your test kit are in agreement that your tank is cycled before adding these guys.

steve24

thanks "AGAIN" all, ... oh, and murph, i`ve had diatom for like three weeks now
thinking there might be 40g of actual water in the tank, i changed 10g already this morning.
hopefully one day i can post some pics like you guys do ...lol

lion_crazz

I am sure you will have a just as beautiful of a tank as so many others do on this board. All it requires is patience and knowledge. Keep us posted on the progress!

bang guy

In my opinion your tank cycled weeks ago although 8 weeks is within normal cycle times when using uncured rock.
If it were me I would:
1 - Start feeding the tank a small bit of fish food every day to maintain bacteria and cleaner populations.
2 - Get a second opinion on the Nitrite test because it sounds to me like a false positive.
3 - Start performing water changes on a regular basis.

shiby1510

don't worry it took me a good 8wks + when I started my tank.. but I'm glad that I didn't just get too anxious and add livestock... be patient you're almost there....
as for a qustion... to anyone out there with already established tanks did you do water changes during your cycle .. i'm guessing after the ammonia spiked?? I never did... and i'm wondering if that was my problem?? I'm going to be starting a qt tank... and was jw.. :joy:

divetroop

Steve,
Did you happen to remove the bio-media (plastic shavings) from the Bak-Pak simmer? I have a CPR Bak Pak Skimmer and I tossed the bio-media that comes with it. That
bio-media traps al ot of junk.