think the death penalty is ever appropriate for animal cruelty?

pontius

from Yahoo News:
QUITO (AFP) - Ecuadoran authorities are investigating the massacre of 53 sea lions that were found with crushed skulls in the Galapagos Islands, the endangered natural reserve's officials said Monday.
The dead animals were in an advanced stage of decomposition when they were discovered on the island of Pinta, scattered in a one-kilometer (half-mile) radius, said Galapagos National Park official Victor Carrion.
"The sea lions, including 13 pups, died because of a strong blow from someone. It was a massacre whose motives the prosecutor's office must clarify," Carrion told AFP.
The animals' remains did not appear to have been mutilated, and no cuts were found on their skins or limbs, he said.
The authorities found no other killed animals but they stepped up patrols of the islands, Carrion said.
The Galapagos islands are 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) off the coast of Ecuador in the Pacific ocean.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) placed the islands on its list of endangered world heritage sites last year, saying they were threatened by invasive species, growing tourism and immigration.

nyyankeees

I don't know about the death penalty but there should definitely be stricter punishment for animal cruelty. I watch Animal Cops all the time and some of the stuff on there makes my stomach turn, then the people walk away with a "slap on the wrist". Maybe if laws regarding animals where stricter some people would think twice before going out and impulse buying pets then a few months later ditching them in shelters or worse(Michael Vick comes to mind) because it's not what they expected or they just don't give a crap. There are certain animals I'm not a huge fan of (cats being one) but I would NEVER neglect or be cruel to ANY animals!

krista921

what the hell
did they even have anything of value to a poacher
whats the point of killing all those animals
SO FUSTRATING

kjr_trig

Death penalty would be fine by me in that case, anyone whom does something like that is doing nothing useful for society...Fry em.

dinki

No way, but in all fairness, I'm totally against the death penalty period. I don't know about you guys, but I sure don't trust any government enough to have them issue a death sentence on anyone. Oh, and before you think I'm some nut job liberal I'll let you now I'm as conservative as they come.

clown boy

Animal cruelty? I am responsible with my animals and treat them with love, but oh please.... it's an animal!

fishycpa

I am for the death penalty, but not for killing animals...harsh punishment, yes, but not capital punishment.

fishycpa

There is a big difference between seals and people. Just like someone was advocating cutting off someones hands b/c they suggested cutting shrimp antenna. Clubbed to death like the seals? What a gross over-reaction. In prison for a long time, yes, killed for it, absolutely not.

aquaknight

Death penalty? No. Have him clubbed in the head, drop him off on a a remote island somewhere (away from seals), and see if he makes it? YES!

ino

I'm a bit too practical for most people, so forgive me, but I believe that there's plenty more useful things to spend money on than paying for the upkeep of murderers, rapists, etc. If it can be proved that they are guilty beyond all reasonable doubt, then it is my personal opinion that it would be better, and even more humane to kill them swiftly. We will have solved what would have inevitably escalated to human violence, and we will have saved some cash. I don't mean to de-humanize them by talking about the money, but like I said, that's my overly-practical take on it.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by Krista921
http:///forum/post/2449857
what the hell
did they even have anything of value to a poacher
whats the point of killing all those animals
SO FUSTRATING
Just guessing, but I think it might be fisherman that did it. Not justifying the killing by no means, but to massacre so many I am thinking the sea lions were raiding traps, nets, or fish on lines. I could see that as a motivation for the killer, but it is horrible behavior IMO.

jtrzerocool

if we start giving people the death penalty for this then i maght as well get the death penalty for a fish dying in my care...it would be rediculious for someone to get the death penalty for this...i am not saying that he should go unpunished but the death penalty would be way to extreme of a punishmant...

pontius

I think it's pretty clear that anyone who would do this would kill a person without much thought. to kill one animal is screwy, but to kill over 50 for no apparent reason indicates this guy has no regard for life.

T

tiberius

Any person who does senseless killings on any animal must have violent tendencies. It is proven that a person committing a violent crime has been shown to have also mutilated small animals when growing up. Now, I am sure that there are some kids who have pulled the legs off a daddy long leg and grew up and matured to become a respectful citizen. But, some do not grow up and mature. I am talking about a high school kid I was in class with sticking kittens in holes and cutting their heads off with a lawnmower! This person does not need to be breathing the same air as I do.
We can't even get the death penalty on violent people who have killed people.
What about all those dolphins in Japan that get slaughtered every year. Google it and you will see video of them doing it.
They need to stop the population of people. Worldwide! Their fleets are already catching fish 200 miles off of our coast here.
I too watch Animal Cops. I wish they would have a show stating what the person received for committing their crime. You always hear they are arrested but what are they going to get. If people would see that all they got was a $500.00 fine for the horrors I have seen done to these animals, people would be more outraged to change the laws. Receiving a prison sentence for harming animals has its' pros and cons. The person could become bitter being in there and learn new stuff to do when they get out. The person would lose their job (if they even had one). Tough getting a job when getting out.
For punishment I like the idea that one Petsmart owner had when he caught a guy stealing flea meds. He had the guy walk up and down the sidewalk in front of the business carrying a sign stating what he did. The only stipulation I would have is that the guy would have to let people see his face. Or, where it is cold to have a picture of his face on the sign and his name.
Or instead of a fine to pick up trash. Something to help a community that is a horrible job. Demean them as much as possible. Let everyone see what they did.
I was shocked to see the Galapagos Island on that CNN Planet in Peril. I thought this place must be magnificent! But, they are logging on the island! The island is more then 50% logged. Charles Darwin must be rolling in his grave. I didn't even know that people lived there. I thought the island was a complete sanctuary. People are destroying this world. People are the only ones that can change their way to live in peace and harmony with the planet.

nyyankeees

Maybe people charged with lesser offenses of animal cruelty/neglect should be forced to do community service for orginizations that help animals, like the SPCA or Humane Society. Maybe they would come to appreciate how precious animals are and lose their "oh it's just an animal" mentality.

jennythebugg

its only animals
people say this all the time but did you know that most serial killers start with animal abuse/mutilation my vote is stop them early ,53 sea lions ??!! thats not like a kid saying oh i wonder what it would feel like to club a seal -thats bloodlust

b00st3d

Originally Posted by fishyCPA
http:///forum/post/2449993
There is a big
difference between seals and people. Just like someone was advocating cutting off someones hands b/c they suggested cutting shrimp antenna. Clubbed to death like the seals? What a gross over-reaction. In prison for a long time, yes, killed for it, absolutely not.

The punishment should fit the crime. So one club to the head for each sea lion killed. If the criminal makes it thru the beating then so be it, if not, good riddance. Would your opinion be different if the question were about a child rapist being castrated? If we as a world went back to the "eye for an eye" punishment system, crime would certainly decrease.
I'm not singleing you out by the way, so please don't take it personally.