Thinking about a 20gal reef. Thoughts?

I'm thinking about starting a 20 gallon reef. I was thinking something along the lines of 5-10 lbs LR and 10-15 lbs of coral as well as 10-15 lbs sand . My species list as planned now:

-2 false percs
-watchman goby
-cleaner shrimp
-choco chip star
-six line wrasse (?)
-some anenomes

This being my first reef (have a 60 gal FOWLR) I could use some suggestions, especially about equipment. My LFS told me that in a relatively small tank like this one, a full on filter may not be necessary with enough LR and a cleaner shrimp or two. Any invert recommendations?

Thanks everyone

mar1376

I don't know about the choc chip star, i don't think they are reef safe. you might want some more LR also. I have a 20 gallon with 25 lbs of live rock. I have a pistol shrimp along with the watchman goby. they are a pretty cool pair. I am looking forward to seeing the tank progress

Ok great advice. I'll make sure to get a good amount of live rock. The pistol shrimp looks awesome! But they'll fit in only a 20gal?

Wow, looks like a really great combination. Would you suggest or recommend having both a pistol and a cleaner together, or would that be pushing it? obviously i have very little experience with inverts haha

btldreef

I had a pistol shrimp/yasha goby combo with a fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, harlequin/orange spotted filefish and a tailspot blenny in a 14G and all were fine together. If the pistol is kept well fed and you train him to wait for you to feed him, he won't go on the hunt for food. I now have the yasha/pistol shrimp in a 20G with the fire shrimp and a ton of snails and hermits and an urchin and all are fine.

btldreef

Skip the sixline, they're aggressive, especially in a smaller tank.
Chocolate chip stars are not reef safe, they eat corals.

meowzer

Depending on what type of corals you want, will depend on the lighting required....BUT, on a 20G a good T5HO set should enable you to keep anything

I would look into a simple HOB filter, you can use an aquaclear 50, or a Penguin 200 (just examples) ....and get a protein skimmer, powerheads (2) Koralia 2's should be good in a 20G, a heater

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameangel26 http:///forum/thread/379738/thinking-about-a-20gal-reef-thoughts#post_3301641
I'm thinking about starting a 20 gallon reef. I was thinking something along the lines of 5-10 lbs LR and 10-15 lbs of coral as well as 10-15 lbs sand . My species list as planned now:

-2 false percs
-watchman goby
-cleaner shrimp
-choco chip star
-six line wrasse (?)
-some anenomes

This being my first reef (have a 60 gal FOWLR) I could use some suggestions, especially about equipment. My LFS told me that in a relatively small tank like this one, a full on filter may not be necessary with enough LR and a cleaner shrimp or two. Any invert recommendations?

Thanks everyone
What kind of anemones do you have in mind

thanks for the suggestions on equipment. I know good lighting is really important, as well as a good amount of water flow (powerheads). As for the anenomes, I don't know them that well, but I looked through the saltwaterfish.com section and i saw the pink haitian and the rock anenome, which struck me as reasonably priced, fairly docile, and pretty nice looking. What would you say to those? saltwaterfish.com claims that they're both reef safe

meowzer

Pink haitian will get too big....the rock anemone may be okay

you do know that your tank has to be a minimum of 6 months old before you even think of getting an anemone...don't u??

btldreef

I think 2 Koralia 2's in a 20G would be too much. I'd do a nano or 1 and a 2, not two 2's. But it depends on what yuo do for a filter as well.

As for anemones, go with a bubble tip, although the rock anemone should be fine as well. Stay away from the pink haitian. They're more trouble than they're worth. I had one eat a mandarin, and they don't like to stay in once place, which can really be an issue in a 20G (yes all anemones can move, but the haitians seem to do it much more frequently.)

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/379738/thinking-about-a-20gal-reef-thoughts#post_3302693
IDK...I have 3 PH's in my 29G a K1, K2 and Rio600

the rio helps with the top flow, and the other 2 the circular motion..

WOW!

My 14G only has a Koralia Nano and a pump and my 20G just has the pump and a K2. The pump in the 20G is overrated for the tank, but seems to work. I like hefty clean up crew, so that might have something to do with it. A lot depends on how you position them as well.

I'd heard 4 months before, but 6 months does seem a little more reasonable. I totally forgot about the bubble tip; I've heard great things about them as well. I'll look into the Koralias, maybe a single 2 or two 1's. The Rio sounds good as well.

Would you guys recommend taking water from my already well-established tank or to start a whole new water treatment? As for me, time isn't a huge problem for water treating.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/379738/thinking-about-a-20gal-reef-thoughts#post_3302741
If this is not a switchover.....I'd start from scratch
+1

Honestly, I almost always take water from my tanks, and rinse some of the filter media in it and put that in the new tank I'm starting up. This adds some beneficial (and some bad) bacteria to the new tank. If you're just gonig to take the water, you're not saving yourself any hassle unless it's a switchover or if they're going to both be running from the same central filtration system (sump).