Thinking about moving....Suggestions?

aftrhrs

Well, I am getting tired of where I am at currently and ready for a change of scenery. So far I have lived in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and currently in Kentucky. I want to move somewhere warm and near the Ocean. I am the Sr. Engineer for a major rubber company (no, not that kind :D ) engine mounts, chair bushings and such. I am only 29yrs old and ready to move. Anybody know of "the place to be" I am not into a high cost of living so Beverly Hills is out :D

aftrhrs

Interesting, you live on the east coast but you are recommending the west coast. Are you from San Diego originally? I have been through Maryland and Deleware on a two week trip and decided that area wasn't really for me. I would probably cross Maine off my list as well, beautiful to visit but a little too cold for me.

ackermsb

I am a born and raised baltimore boy BUT ... you asked for warm and near the Ocean. the temp stays consistently in the 70's and you can live right on the beach for or near the beach for a decent price. I was just out there and fell in love with it myself.
I did live in SF for a couple of years but it is a little cooler there and more expensive but a great time and great music.

aftrhrs

I have spent a week out in Las Vegas but that is as close to the west coast as I have gotten. I haven't even been to Florida yet....

E

elan

yeah.. its about 85 here... but i guess that is considered hot and stickey when you are at 60 or so........
But when i need ideas for my fish tank... i just go to the beach (10 mintues away) and go dive on some amazing reefs with alot of life..... and if i am feeling impulsive, i go on a dive boat to get out to the 3rd reef which is just amazing and steeming of life.
So if that is hot and sticky..... then i guess i like it hot and stickey. :)

eeldarb21

I'm here in the sunny southern california.. about a half hour from San Diego... love it.. come on over, (even though we have too many people here already) love it... I remember moving across town with a saltwater fish tank attached ... very difficult .... hated to set everything back up...but overall come on down! maybe i'll see you at the lfs! lol

aftrhrs

I am kinda leaning towards southern Florida. Or even the eastern seaboard from NC on down to Florida. I have heard about all the old people in Florida but the entire state can't be that way.

benrock

Florida is great, but yes they are right with the older crowd in the winters. They are called "Snow Birds". They'll stop in the middle of Rush Hour to sight see and point out this tree. "Look Honey, it's a tree". Oh what fun :D

yellowg555

I'd recommend Southern California in general because..
1) Weather NEVER gets below 50 on the coldest day in winter.
2) It is NEVER humid. If anything, only hot and DRY.
3) If you live in LA, you are never more than 2 hours from the ocean, snow, hikeable trails in forests, and some good city life.
Although I think I could live in Florida where I could learn to scuba dive and visit the reefs :p .

fulcrum

Jacskonville FL is the best of both florida and NC.
You are still in Florida (no state income tax), but the old folks all stay much farther south. There is a beautiful river running through downtown, the beaches are decent, and the cost of living is in the basement.

huckleberry

if i were you i would stay on the east coast...
1) too many liberals in CA
2) too many illegals in CA
3) WAY too MUCH attitude in CA and for NO good reason...
just my opinion

timo

As a man about to move AWAY from Florida, I suggest one to not live here. It's hot, humid, with bugs that science hasn't named yet, ready to suck you dry, all the flora has thorns ,and the locals are, well, a bit slow...seems to me after 6 years that all the jokes are true. If you have any allergies, they'll let you know how inflammitive they can be. BTW, I'm from Upstate NY.

fulcrum

C'mon man, you live in the panhandle. What do you expect?
There are MUCH more desireable parts of Florida.

timo

You are totally right...Panhandle sucks, I'll give it to you that all of Florida isn't that bad (still humid and buggy), but back up north I'll go! I actually miss snow!

tangman99

Originally posted by TimO
You are totally right...Panhandle sucks, I'll give it to you that all of Florida isn't that bad (still humid and buggy), but back up north I'll go! I actually miss snow!

What? Someone from the North actually moving out of Florida. Where's my snowballs so I can smack satan in the head. :p
I have to agree with fulcrum, the panhandle is South Georgia, not Florida. If you really think about it, Jacksonville is sort of South Georgia although I really like it here. Florida doesn't really start until you get South of Daytona where Palm trees grow naturally.

fulcrum

Its sort of like southern California and Northern California. It really could be two different states.
Northeast florida hasn't lost its charm for the most part. (granted it still has some drawbacks) but traffic is not bad, and we actually experience freezing temps a number of times in a given winter.
No snow. But that's what ski vacations are for!!!!