Thinking of adding more Sand..?

mony97

So I have had my tank for just under a year now and I am looking to shore up all the little things that are bugging me (more like finally have the time). One of the things I would like to do is add an additional inch or so of sand to my existing sand bed, and am wondering if this is okay to do. I know not to use LS if I am to go through with this but what other things should I know, or better yet what are all your thoughts on this? Is It even worth while?
Thanks, and good to be back ;)

bang guy

I have an old post about adding more sand, I couldn't find it :(
I basically suggest using dry sand, adding 20 pounds or so to a bucket of old tank water with some fish food mixed in to grow some bacteria in it before adding.
Don't add more than 1/2" of sand a week or you risk damaging the mini ecosystem you already have in your sand bed. Nothing wrong with adding an additional thin layer of live sand once a year either. It help maintain the biodiversity.

spanko

I err on the side of caution here. First on the "live" sand thing, don't do the bagged stuff at the fish store. Get good quality live sand if you want to go that way. JMO. On adding dry, just make sure you rinse the Bejeesus out of it first. Then add sand on top of 1/4 of the sand bed. Let that sit a week or so then do another 1/4. So on until done. Doing 1/4 at a time (could even go 1/3) will allow the new layer to populate with bacteria.

mony97

Okay got it, it sounds like going slow is the name of the game, and letting new bacteria etc grow before adding more. Also I do have some hair algae that would get covered in the process, if this kills the ha do I still run the risk of it starving the tank of o2? Also I do have some nassarius snails both small and a couple of large fancies, would it harm these guys? adding a 1/4 to 1/3 an inch shouldnt bury them but any other complications that may come up?
Thanks guys for the responses as well.