This Is Why I Am Not An "Enviromentalist"

mantisman51

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...363/1103/RSS02
I believe that we should pollute as little as possible and take care of this Earth we've been loaned by God. But this kind of stupid and wrong-headed nonsense is what most "environmentalists" want. Truth and science are irrelavent. The Yukon Territory set 8 new coldest ever records and we are still told not to believe our eyes (and common sense) and to trust these "experts" that it really is getting warmer. And last but not least, a heart-warming story to show "environmental experts" are full of crap:
http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...-dolphins.html
Endangered, though we don't know how many there are-typical!

geridoc

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3015053
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...363/1103/RSS02
I believe that we should pollute as little as possible and take care of this Earth we've been loaned by God. But this kind of stupid and wrong-headed nonsense is what most "environmentalists" want. Truth and science are irrelavent.
It seems to me that this is exactly truth and science. Science tellls us that phosphates in wastewater are difficult to remove and lead to algae blooms that suffocate fish. The rejection of that concept is a political decision reflecting personal biases, not science.
The Yukon Territory set 8 new coldest ever records and we are still told not to believe our eyes (and common sense) and to trust these "experts" that it really is getting warmer.
On average it is getting warmer. The theory actually predicts that there will be greater extremes of environment (such as unusual cold spells)
And last but not least, a heart-warming story to show "environmental experts" are full of crap:
http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...-dolphins.html
Endangered, though we don't know how many there are-typical!
That's how science works - you use the best data available, and rethink your hypotheses as the data change. Anyone who expects more is full of crap.

slf125

+1 to geridoc. I think Global warming as the name is a little misleading. Like Geridoc said, it's more about fluctuations in extremes. Also I would like to add that just because one place has seen some cold extremes doesn't mean it's getting warmer, there will always be winter. What you really want to argue is that wheather or not we are actually causing these fluctuations or if it is just cyclic.

kmart189

Yeah usually there is an underlying reason to reject it. I listened to a speaker talk about how he didn't believe that it was caused by human causes. Than even he had to admit he worked for an oil company. Real convincing

mantisman51

So a sound scientific theory is that we can't guage whether it is a natural phenomena, but we have to change our lifestyle immediately, just in case. From 1990-2000, my home state of Idaho set the 3 coldest recorded temperatures. Now, if the temperature is warmer, how can it cause colder weather again?
Funny how with the "massive" phosphate problem, salmon are now swimming up the Hudson and St James Rivers again. Also, I googled for specific documented cases of scientifically proven cases of phosphates causing river or stream degradation, but like global warming, there was alot of "scientists think".
No, that is not how science works. You come up with a hypothesis, develop a working theory. You test it imperically and you let the data decide. All three examples I gave are the opposite of scientific theory. The psuedo-scientist declare a theory is actually a law and using the ultimate in junk science, use anecdotal data (ie:no imperical study) to prove their theory.
Then, using Goebels MO, scream it loud enough and long enough and soon the people will believe it is true. And when challenged start calling names. No rigors of scientific method; if you don't believe it "you're uneducated and unsophisticated".

reefraff

The whole man made global warming theory is driven by politics more than science.
Why is it when previously well respected scientists dare question the validity of the theory they are demonized and in some cases fired? If the facts are truly on the side of the warming theorists why do they refuse to debate these people? Why is false information being used to make the case for man made warming?
If we take the results of elevated CO levels in our home aquariums as a guide we should be concerned about the production of excess co2 as a threat to our oceans (decreased PH level) but I have seen as much evidence to debunk the whole climate change theory as supporting it.

bs21

fyi the term global warming and the term global climate change are used as the same thing these days even though they are a different issue..... which i think leads to much more arguing.
to me the issue is simple....its like playing russian roulette. you don't know if the gun is going to go off but i'm not going to take the chance or have anyone risk it for me.

d-man

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3015721
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/podca...eaIce2008.html
Prime example #1: Read the last paragraph. The sea ice grew, so we must come up with a reason why more ice means higher temperatures?
I'm not suprised that you live in one of the hotest and dryest places I can think up and YOU DONT SURF because if you did you would look at the ocean as something like a big thank and you can tast the bad water my surgan sad that if I had surgery 10yrs ago that surfing would have been good but not now. as for the sea ice there is now land that is avlable in the south pole and most govermants are trying very hard to get a flag up down there and the actic pass is opean FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF MAN KIND if you can't see that things are changing then you've got a frozzen brain. At this poin most paople have come to terms that we are in what is called the climate shift

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by d-man
http:///forum/post/3018968
I'm not suprised that you live in one of the hotest and dryest places I can think up and YOU DONT SURF because if you did you would look at the ocean as something like a big thank and you can tast the bad water my surgan sad that if I had surgery 10yrs ago that surfing would have been good but not now. as for the sea ice there is now land that is avlable in the south pole and most govermants are trying very hard to get a flag up down there and the actic pass is opean FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF MAN KIND if you can't see that things are changing then you've got a frozzen brain. At this poin most paople have come to terms that we are in what is called the climate shift
Apparently climate change has you so concerned you fail to see the value in commas and periods.
The weather said it was supposed to be 70 today about 3 days ago. It is now cloudy and looks like it may rain and about 45. Until these so called scientific expert can predict the weekly weather accurately, how can you take their climate change hysteria seriously?
The climates have changed on this planet numerous times....how many Ice ages did we supposedly have? And you think man is able to prevent this...you are seriously delusional. The Climate is going to change...that is the natural cycle of nature. Man has to learn to adapt as they have for so many centuries. Greenland used to be green and full of plant life many centuries ago, Iceland was covered in ice. This has changed over the many centuries....can you seriously tell me they were polluting enough way back when to cause this?
Darth (common sense) Tang

darthtang aw

couple that with the FACT that scientists have been arguing climate change for the last thirty years saying the climate will change dramatically....yet over those 30 years, nothing significant. Hmmmm....and I am suppossed to believe them when they say we will see catastrophic climate change over the next 50 years.....what happenned to the past 30 years?

flower

Hope you don't mind another opinion,
Scientists say the whole Earth was once covered in ice. The ice melted and made our seas.
I am of the opinion that the polar ice cap is just the last area to be melted. The Earth is changing, it has always been changing. The polar ice is melting faster and faster, just like ice in a glass, at first there is plenty of ice and it melts slow, but as time continues the ice begins to melt faster and becomes smaller as the water increases.
Nothing man did made it go faster and, there is nothing man can do to slow it down. Some creatures will survive the change, and others sadly won't.
When one creature dies off it affects us all, mankind is not exempt. I see nothing wrong with not filling up the landfills with stuff that won’t break down, or trying to make our environment better. It may not stop the global warming, but we, and the creatures we live with can breathe better.

The Bible says the Earth is doomed, it will reel to and fro like a drunkard (Isa 24:20) and the there will be no more seas (Rev 21:1). The elements will melt from high heat (2 Pet 3:10).
Not because of the mess mankind made on the Earth, but because of the mess we made of our lives and how we treat each other.

slf125

I think what you guys ( only darthtang said it aloud) is for someone to show you that the average temp. on earth in the 50s was 80degrees F and now is 86. That simply isn't true and if you expect something like that to happen then your mistaken. If we are to believe global warming then it would be more along the lines of it was 80.125 degrees and now it is 80.675. Not a big difference but it's still occuring. The point is that nothing will happen in our life times or our grandchildrens life times but in a few hundred years were looking at average temperatures almost 10 degrees hotter than now which WOULD affect us, that is to say if this is true.
I think the best arguement is: Why would it hurt to change. Lik someone said earlier, if someone put a gun to my head and said there might MIGHt be a bullet in the chamber. And there were 10 people with me and 9 said there was, and while a few arn't quite trustworthy, and 1 said there wasn't. What am I gonna do, say I'll change and not take the chance or just hope he didn't put one in.
There is also the arguement as someone before said that maybe this is happenning anyway ( ice age all over again etc.). One thing I don't quite agree with is that it has been melting anyway, while that may be true, there HAS been an increase in melting in the polar ice caps.

beazalbob69

How can anybody say that humans have not changed the climate? Yes the climate always changes. It gets hot it gets cold it never stays the same. Everytime it changes there is some trigger wether it be a comet, volcanoes erupting, continants shifting, etc this time it is us that is changing the planets climate. I really dont need science to tell me that having 500,000,000 cars running on this planet will have some affect on the atmosphere and thats just autos. The water is dirty the air is dirty the ground is dirty everything we do creates waste. It is having an impact people! Take your heads out of the sand! Wake up! But we wont do anything about it anyway so who cares?

slf125

Originally Posted by beazalbob69
http:///forum/post/3021308
How can anybody say that humans have not changed the climate? Yes the climate always changes. It gets hot it gets cold it never stays the same. Everytime it changes there is some trigger wether it be a comet, volcanoes erupting, continants shifting, etc this time it is us that is changing the planets climate. I really dont need science to tell me that having 500,000,000 cars running on this planet will have some affect on the atmosphere and thats just autos. The water is dirty the air is dirty the ground is dirty everything we do creates waste. It is having an impact people! Take your heads out of the sand! Wake up! But we wont do anything about it anyway so who cares?
well put

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by SLF125
http:///forum/post/3021303
I think what you guys ( only darthtang said it aloud) is for someone to show you that the average temp. on earth in the 50s was 80degrees F and now is 86. That simply isn't true and if you expect something like that to happen then your mistaken. If we are to believe global warming then it would be more along the lines of it was 80.125 degrees and now it is 80.675. Not a big difference but it's still occuring. The point is that nothing will happen in our life times or our grandchildrens life times but in a few hundred years were looking at average temperatures almost 10 degrees hotter than now which WOULD affect us, that is to say if this is true.
How can you back this up? These same people can't even predict a 5 day forecast accurately.....and you are predicting what will happen in 100 years? I Challenge you tell argue the difference between the two.