This is why I H A T E partisan politics...

darthtang aw

Good one.  Texas bleeds red.  The only heavy concentration of Democrats in this state are the Valley.  What else would you find trolling around Port A?
That is why between 2014and 2016 they will be a swing state and shortly after a blue state unless the republican party changes its view on immigration reform and how to go about it.

darthtang aw

Why?  They primarily supply the San Francisco area.  I can guarantee you it won't affect oyster prices in Texas, when we can go out into our own Gulf and get all we want.  There's a multitude of oyster farms around the country that supply oyster shells to chicken farms.  1000 tins isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Until the link showed up here, I never heard anything about this controversy, and its potential "devastation to the economy".  They're oysters.  Not oil or gold commodities.  You make this sound like Mortimer Duke is trying to corner the Oyster Market on the NY Stock Exchange. :rotfl:
What does Southwest removing 3 planes from service between LA and Vegas have to do with this oyster controversy?
http://www.coastseafoods.com/index.html
because Texas has a coast. As the shift of Oyster shipment and sales happens it will affect those states that do not have a coast and rely on coastal states for these goods. With a 40% in California, a lot of shifting is going to occur, thus driving up demand and prices. it is inevitable...It isn't a huge blow to the national economy, but to the local economy it will be.
If I close my doors, I only have 6 employees between the two businesses...but, aid and donations to local shelters and rescues would cease, state tax revenue and local tax revenue would cease, other charitable contributions would cease...local distributors and manufactures i order from would lose the business...local landscaper would lose a contract, local plumber would lose a month visit contract. Local advertisers would lose a contract....and so one. I could go on for hours just off my own business. And I only employee 6 employees....It isn't just employees that lose out...

bionicarm

All those examples may "cease", but to the point it would have a dramatic and overall effect on the economy in your town as a whole? Highly doubtful unless you live in a Mayberry RFD with a population of 1000 or less. Small businesses like yours are a dime a dozen here in San Antonio. You could have 4 drop out of sight tomorrow, and 98% of the population wouldn't know.

bionicarm

That is why between 2014and 2016 they will be a swing state and shortly after a blue state unless the republican party changes its view on immigration reform and how to go about it.
Very highly unlikely. We have a Republican-led Legislature and a Republican Governor. Rick Perry is going on 14 years (or is it 16). As stated, we haven't given our Electoral Votes to a Democratic Presidential candidate since Nixon. It took a bunch of lawsuits to shoot down the latest Republican re-districting plans. The Hispanic community thrives in the Southern portion of the state, but the Republican base dominates all the major cities in the state (with the exception of El Paso).

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503394
Very highly unlikely. We have a Republican-led Legislature and a Republican Governor. Rick Perry is going on 14 years (or is it 16). As stated, we haven't given our Electoral Votes to a Democratic Presidential candidate since Nixon. It took a bunch of lawsuits to shoot down the latest Republican re-districting plans. The Hispanic community thrives in the Southern portion of the state, but the Republican base dominates all the major cities in the state (with the exception of El Paso).
WHAT?!?
Go look at an electoral college map. Per County, besides the rio grande valley, Harris co, Dallas Co, Bexar Co, and Travis Co. are all blue...

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503394
I do believe ya'll voted for Carter in 76

uneverno

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/220#post_3503324
I'm going to make an assumption, that you may not be willing to make, but you did mention ducks unlimited. So I'm going to pursue that train of thought. BUT I do live on the coast, there are 20 different organizations, (who steer clear of politics because it does not further their agenda) that run around down here conserving some part of the coast, whether it be wetlands, fisheries, and natural habitats, and native wildlife... Hate to break it to you, but the ones I support, and volunteer for I've never met a dang democrat. (a few Ron Paulie's which might as well be democrats). They're for the most part, the same people that go to tea party rallies, and put up Romney signs. (now that is ENTIRELY anecdotal. But it has been my experience.) It has lead me to conclude that the reason you don't hear about Republicans advocating good husbandry, is because they're NOT using it as a political football. To me, and to the people I volenteer with, its simply something we do to take care of the stuff God has given us...
Quite frankly, wildlife conservation, is possibly the ONLY thing I've seen die hard conservatives willing support government intervention on... And to go step further, actually donate to stuff like Texas Parks and Wildlife...
The difference is, I don't buy perception you're proposing. After all why in the crap would a kook leftist that runs a "news" show promote something that undermines their salacious political content...
As far as I'm concerned the Green movement has lost all credibility, it isn't about husbandry or stewardship at all. (hell in corpus, they had recycling pickup, and they spent millions buying the little bins, and picking them up every couple of weeks. only to turn around and toss it in the dump)
That's all fine and good. Your preconcieved notion has to do with kooks, whose behaviour and opinions I'm ill equipped and unwilling to spend the time explaining. You've made your judgement. So be it. I just don't trust those who have a financial agenda to keep our best interests as a species in mind.
I do agree that politics furthers no-ones agenda. Well, except for the politician's and the corporate persons they represent in our names and from whom they receive sufficient campaign funds with which to fool us.
At least the shale oil and natgasfracking contingents are completely honest about their agenda and transparent about whatever environmental risks exist as a result of their practices. If we couldn't trust them, Capitalism might find itself at risk.
Go ahead and eat that Gulf Coast Shrimp. BP says the danger is past.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneverno http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503402
That's all fine and good. Your preconcieved notion has to do with kooks, whose behaviour and opinions I'm ill equipped and unwilling to spend the time explaining. You've made your judgement. So be it. I just don't trust those who have a financial agenda to keep our best interests as a species in mind.
I do agree that politics furthers no-ones agenda. Well, except for the politician's and the corporate persons they represent in our names and from whom they receive sufficient campaign funds with which to fool us.
At least the shale oil and natgasfracking contingents are completely honest about their agenda and transparent about whatever environmental risks exist as a result of their practices. If we couldn't trust them, Capitalism might find itself at risk.
Go ahead and eat that Gulf Coast Shrimp. BP says the danger is past.
The kooks are running the democrat party... They're running the media. The kooks are running green policy/regulations, and government agencies. It would be dishonest to separate them at this point...
I eat gulf seafood 2-3 times a week... keep in mind, more oil seeps out of the ground every day...

bionicarm

WHAT?!?
Go look at an electoral college map.  Per County, besides the rio grande valley, Harris co, Dallas Co, Bexar Co, and Travis Co.  are all blue...  
What map are you looking at? If that were the case, then how was Slick Rick elected as Governor for the past 14 years? Why do we have a Republican-led Legislature? You just rattled off the counties where Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Austin reside. You're telling me the Republicans live out in this sticks and still are able to command enough votes to keep this state red? Romney won by almost 1.3 million votes in Texas. If all these counties are "blue", where'd the votes come from, dead Republicans?

bionicarm

I do believe ya'll voted for Carter in 76
Oops, you're correct. It was Carter, not Nixon. Yea, the only reason Carter won in '76 was because of Tricky Dick's resignation after Watergate. Just Like Bush 2, the American people didn't trust any Republican, even though Carter was worse candidate they could of put out there.

darthtang aw

All those examples may "cease", but to the point it would have a dramatic and overall effect on the economy in your town as a whole? Highly doubtful unless you live in a Mayberry RFD with a population of 1000 or less. Small businesses like yours are a dime a dozen here in San Antonio. You could have 4 drop out of sight tomorrow, and 98% of the population wouldn't know.
http://www.petaluma360.com/article/20121206/COMMUNITY/121209758/1362/community?p=1&tc=pg
Point reyes has a population of 848 including the surrounding area. There are more seals than people....................
Touching on your other points. Comparing albuquerque to san antonio is not a good comparrison. while my business may be a dime a dozen there..there are exactly 12 similar to one of my businesses in the metro area here, including suburbs. ^ of those 12 we have formed an organization helping support and promoting our small businesses and aiding the community. each store donates 500lbs. or more a month to various rescues that have little funding. dollar value is a minimum of 1500 dollars. one store closes down...that is revenue that rescue now has to make up....it does have an effect, whether you like to think so our not. Albuquerque businesses, the majority are small business and we all support each other.....like I said, it is felt...maybe not by all or even a majority, but it affects a significant number of people other than just the employees of the business.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503422
What map are you looking at? If that were the case, then how was Slick Rick elected as Governor for the past 14 years? Why do we have a Republican-led Legislature? You just rattled off the counties where Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Austin reside. You're telling me the Republicans live out in this sticks and still are able to command enough votes to keep this state red? Romney won by almost 1.3 million votes in Texas. If all these counties are "blue", where'd the votes come from, dead Republicans?
Here is the map by county of where Obama won. As you can see, the valley, Harris, El Paso, bexar, travis and dallas co. Those counties hold our largest pop cities. Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso.
Obviously there are millions of people who live in the areas surrounding those cities (and they're some of the most right wing bastions of the country). (outside El Paso) but the major cities are run by democrats...

Texas is a very red state, and run by a buncha republicans. But the major cities are democrat.

uneverno

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503412
The kooks are running the democrat party... They're running the media. The kooks are running green policy/regulations, and government agencies. It would be dishonest to separate them at this point...
I eat gulf seafood 2-3 times a week... keep in mind, more oil seeps out of the ground every day...
I agree.
Karl Rove and Dick Morris and their Faux News mouthpiece aren't kooks, though? Reince Priebus and Scott Walker and Paul Ryan aren't? It would be dishonest not to include the Republicans in the mix as well. They're certainly no bastion of sanity.
And, where is this oil seeping out of the ground? Exxon wants to know. Tar sands are exremely expensive to extract. If, in fact, the oil is seeping out of the ground, I'd be moving. A lot of its associated hydrocarbons are proven carcinogens...

darthtang aw

I agree.
Karl Rove and Dick Morris and their Faux News mouthpiece aren't kooks, though? Reince Priebus and Scott Walker and Paul Ryan aren't? It would be dishonest not to include the Republicans in the mix as well. They're certainly no bastion of sanity.
And, where is this oil seeping out of the ground? Exxon wants to know. Tar sands are exremely expensive to extract. If, in fact, the oil is seeping out of the ground, I'd be moving. A lot of its associated hydrocarbons are proven carcinogens...
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10388&page=191

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneverno http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503451
I agree.
And, where is this oil seeping out of the ground? Exxon wants to know. Tar sands are exremely expensive to extract. If, in fact, the oil is seeping out of the ground, I'd be moving. A lot of its associated hydrocarbons are proven carcinogens...
seriously, why is paul ryan a kook? Or Scott Walker? How do you define kook, someone advocating not spending more than your income? (this isn't a retorical question, I'm genuinly curious why you'd list those 2 guys as kooks) If you'd like I'll go down the list as to why I think dems are extremists...
And seriously, that is how they found oil off the coast of california, balls of oil would wash ashore at huntington beach... And this isn't just a few barrels here or there. You're talking a significant amount of oil... (more than was discharged by BP) I didn't say this earlier, (Because it's too sound bytish) but the gulf seepage, discharges more oil per day than what was billowing out of the BP hole. Obviously the BP thing is more consentrated so it does have negative effects, vs what is spread out over the entire gulf. Nor am I trying to assuage the event of that oil spill. Just trying to provide some perspective...
Sure I think the Fox new people are kooks, I mean Bill Oreilly thinks there is some oil price fixing conspiracy (besides opec) and supports gun control... I don't really have a problem with Karl Rove and Dick Morris, they're just strategists that makes their money prognosticating. They're not advocating anything like infanticide, or supporting organizations founding by hitler sympathizing eugenicists...

uneverno

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503466
seriously, why is paul ryan a kook? Or Scott Walker? How do you define kook, someone advocating not spending more than your income? (this isn't a retorical question, I'm genuinly curious why you'd list those 2 guys as kooks) If you'd like I'll go down the list as to why I think dems are extremists...
And seriously, that is how they found oil off the coast of california, balls of oil would wash ashore at huntington beach... And this isn't just a few barrels here or there. You're talking a significant amount of oil... (more than was discharged by BP) I didn't say this earlier, (Because it's too sound bytish) but the gulf seepage, discharges more oil per day than what was billowing out of the BP hole. Obviously the BP thing is more consentrated so it does have negative effects, vs what is spread out over the entire gulf. Nor am I trying to assuage the event of that oil spill. Just trying to provide some perspective...
Sure I think the Fox new people are kooks, I mean Bill Oreilly thinks there is some oil price fixing conspiracy (besides opec) and supports gun control... I don't really have a problem with Karl Rove and Dick Morris, they're just strategists that makes their money prognosticating. They're not advocating anything like infanticide, or supporting organizations founding by hitler sympathizing eugenicists...
Well, Paul's affiliation, co-sponsoring bills, etc. - with Tom Akin is a little kooky, no? Tom Akin. Please defend Tom's viewpoint regarding "legitimate rape" as, in any way shape or form, logical. It's not just kooky, it's completely insane. Yet Senator Ryan had no problem with that ideology.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneverno http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503474
Well, Paul's affiliation, co-sponsoring bills, etc. - with Tom Akin is a little kooky, no? Tom Akin. Please defend Tom's viewpoint regarding "legitimate rape" as, in any way shape or form, logical. It's not just kooky, it's completely insane. Yet Pauly had no problem with it.
so your argument is, because Paul Ryan has sponsored bills with a guy who is now a pariah (who's race was unsupported by the republican party) and was personally asked by Paul Ryan, to withdrawal from his campaign after he made an fool of himself. Then Paul is a kook. (remember this is no ted Kennedy get drunk wreck a car, kill the babe in his car, flee the scene, then go on to be one the most "respected" democrats over the last 50 years, while using other people's money to rent out entire whore houses while on junkets to south america).
So you knew a guy who ended up going off the deep end, and saying something stupid, now you're tainted too?
come on, that is a terrible arugument and you know it... You're going to have to do better than oh he worked with a guy who went out and made a fool of himself on TV, (saying stuff, not actually doing things, like voting for a bill that legalizes killing babies who survive a botched abortion)

uneverno

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503475
so your argument is, because Paul Ryan has sponsored bills with a guy who is a moron, pariah and was personally asked by Paul Ryan, to withdrawal from his campaign after he made an ass of himself. Then he's a kook. (remember this is no ted Kennedy get drunk wreck a car, kill the babe in his car, flee the scene, then go on to be one the most "respected" democrats over the last 50 years).
So you knew a guy who ended up going off the deep end, and killing everyone, now you're tainted too?
come on, that is a terrible arugument and you know it... You're going to have to do better than oh he worked with a guy who went out and made a fool of himself on TV, (saying stuff, not actually doing things, like voting for a bill that kills babies who survive a botched abortion)
No, actually, I don't have to do better than that. Ryan's reticence to distance himself from a misogynist speaks for itself.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneverno http:///t/393539/this-is-why-i-h-a-t-e-partisan-politics/240#post_3503477
No, actually, I don't have to do better than that. His refusal to distance himself from a misogynist speaks for itself.
When did he refuse to distance himself? Show me an interview, statement etc.
I guess telling the guy to drop out of the race wasn't enough?
Did you really not know that there oil seeping out of the ground into oceans all over the world?