This years buck.

wattsupdoc

Just got this guy. He dressed out at about 200lbs. I know he's no monster "kansas/Texas" buck, but for these parts he's a dandy.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by renogaw
nice looking deer--good eating too!
what do you make with it?
Usually butterfly the straps. Eat the tenderloins right then.
Cube a little for stews etc.Grind the rest up. Iv'e got 30 lbs of ground in the freezer now. Another 5 lbs made up into breakfast sausage. Another 5 waiting to make summer sausage with tomorrow.
The ground I'll make chili, burgers, spaghetti, etc......Bout 60 lbs of clean/lean venisin. We thinned the herd down here 2 yrs. ago. Between me and my buddies we pulled 8 deer outta here, conservation dept now allows all the does you want. That has helped the remaining deer out tremendously. Less competition for food etc. Plus less accidents/ deaths from bonzaii deer.
If you count the 2 ring hangers( I dont, but hey some do) he's a 10. Got me a great big ole 11 inch hand made Bowie knife that fits right in the tines with them turned upside down for the display. I'll post a pic tomorow. Looks real sweet.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Nice. What kind of gun did you use?

22-250, shootin' 64 grain PSP. It'll tap 'em 400 yrds out. Just watch the placement. Good gun for fuzzy little varmits too.

tx reef

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Just got this guy. He dressed out at about 200lbs. I know he's no monster "kansas/Texas" buck, but for these parts he's a dandy.

He may not be a monster as far as horns go, but if that deer dressed out at 200lbs., that is huge.
The biggest deer in Texas are taken in South Texas and they average about 160lbs. dressed.
Now, in Georgia, I have seen deer that have dressed out at 220lbs..........
Anyway, nice buck!

tx reef

Here's my buck. I shot him last week.
I prefer to use a bigger gun......I shot him with my .300 Weatherby Magnum.
I generally shoot my Browning Medallion 25-06 Boss, but I just felt like pulling out the big dog this year.........

chano

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Oh, and I don't know why I look so angry either.......

We are all entitled to our manly hunting pose. Good lookin bucks guys. You ever get to much meat in the freezer i can help you with that

renogaw

best thing i ever had was homemade jerky my father used to make out of elk in oregon. was sorta hopeing you'd say you make some so i could ask you to send me some LOL.

scsinet

Nice bucks guys!
I haven't hunted myself, but I helped my next door neighbor butcher a doe that he got a few weeks ago. He gave me about 20lbs of meat. Man that's good eating!
People don't realize how good venison is. I live for the burgers.
I'm spending the next week in MI up with my fiance's family on their 100 acre property. Perhaps it's time for me to pull the trigger... not sure if I'll be able to though.

renogaw

it is good, but you get people who never had it cooked right, or never at all, and it is constantly considered "gamey".
Same with bluefish... i cooked myself up some bluefish, grilled it on low, lots of lemon and pepper and other spices (what ever is in mrs dash lemon stuff) and it was the best fish i've ever tasted.
things out of the normal realm of steak, chicken, and pork need to be cooked right and people just dont know how, so it gets a bad reputaion

agent-x

I don't think Texas has big deer at all. They all look like oversized dogs for the most part here in central Texas. I did see one large one last time I was down around Corpus, but that was the only one I've seen. I lived in Missouri for a while and they have some big deer.

agent-x

Originally Posted by renogaw
it is good, but you get people who never had it cooked right, or never at all, and it is constantly considered "gamey".
soak it in buttermilk, takes the "gameyness" away.

tx reef

Originally Posted by AGENT-X
I don't think Texas has big deer at all. They all look like oversized dogs for the most part here in central Texas. I did see one large one last time I was down around Corpus, but that was the only one I've seen. I lived in Missouri for a while and they have some big deer.

You have to go down to South Texas between San Antonio and Mexico to find big deer......
There are some places out in West Texas that have large deer, too.....
It all depends on how many deer there are in an area and what type and how much vegetation is available.

crimzy

For the life of me I can't understand the appeal of hunting. Do you consider this a sport? Or do you just enjoy drinking beer and shooting things?