Thoghts on Peppermint Shrimp

pchromis

Hi all,

I decided to get two peppermint shrimp to take care of the big aiptasia problem in refugium. None noticeable in the display tank.
After a week the fuge is free of aiptasia and there was a slew of it in there.
My intent was to transfer the shrimp into the DT after the aiptasia problem was fixed.
But now I am having second thoughts on doing this as I fear some of the current fish stock will find the shrimp a delicacy.
I have a 90g reef with plenty of rock work and soft corals.
Fish are:
Hippo Tang...about 5 inches
Koran Angel...about 4 inches
Yellow tang ....about 4 inches
2 maroon clowns with BTAs...about 2 inches each
Sixline wrasse......about 1 1/2 inches
Rusty angel ...about 2 inches
2 green chromis...about 1 inch each.

Do you think any of the above stock would do in the shrimp?
If so, should I leave shrimp in 29g fuge or will they have an adverse impact on current ecosystem?
Also, the shrimp are about 1 1/2" in length.

Any other thoughs on peppermint shrimp would be helpful.

Thank you in advance

btldreef

Nothing on that stocklist should eat them. Peppermints are great hiders and usually only come out at night which can help save them for a pesky fish. The only one that I'd have a question about would be the sixline wrasse, but you should be fine. Honestly, get them out of the refugium if you're trying to build up a copepod population in there. Peppermint shrimp will dig in the rocks and can quicly deplete a refugium of copepods.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/380268/thoghts-on-peppermint-shrimp#post_3309144
Really?!? Peppermints will eat copepods?!?....Really?!?....I did not know that...

No friggin' wonder they stay hidden, with all the pods in my tank, they have no reason to come out....I did not know that...thanks!

Well they're nocturnal to begin with (for the most part) and most people don't really see them after they've been added to the tank. However, yes, they do eat pods, quite a bit more than other shrimp do.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/380268/thoghts-on-peppermint-shrimp#post_3309147

Well they're nocturnal to begin with (for the most part) and most people don't really see them after they've been added to the tank. However, yes, they do eat pods, quite a bit more than other shrimp do.
We *think* we have 3. One has always been where we could see it, recently it has started to come out in the light. The other 2, only molts confirm their existence...thanks again.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Peppermint Shrimp are reef safe as are Sixline Wrasse. I have Peppermint Shrimp and a Sixline Wrasse. (and have had them together for over six months) The Sixline will be too busy grazing liverock to mess with the Peppermints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchromis http:///forum/thread/380268/thoghts-on-peppermint-shrimp#post_3309108
Hi all,

I decided to get two peppermint shrimp to take care of the big aiptasia problem in refugium. None noticeable in the display tank.
After a week the fuge is free of aiptasia and there was a slew of it in there.
My intent was to transfer the shrimp into the DT after the aiptasia problem was fixed.
But now I am having second thoughts on doing this as I fear some of the current fish stock will find the shrimp a delicacy.
I have a 90g reef with plenty of rock work and soft corals.
Fish are:
Hippo Tang...about 5 inches
Koran Angel...about 4 inches
Yellow tang ....about 4 inches
2 maroon clowns with BTAs...about 2 inches each
Sixline wrasse......about 1 1/2 inches
Rusty angel ...about 2 inches
2 green chromis...about 1 inch each.

Do you think any of the above stock would do in the shrimp?
If so, should I leave shrimp in 29g fuge or will they have an adverse impact on current ecosystem?
Also, the shrimp are about 1 1/2" in length.

Any other thoughs on peppermint shrimp would be helpful.

Thank you in advance

btldreef

Some peppermints will go rogue and eat coral, but it is very rare. I had one eat my mushrooms a few years ago.