Thoughts on Lighting

lyman1415

I'm starting a new nano tank and wanted some input on the LED light system. Right now I've been using Coralife lights and was thinking of changing but before I do I was hoping that you guys can give me some more info on them. Thanks all.

nikesb

since its a nano, be careful if you want to use LEDs. leds are really powerful especially if you're using 3w CREE leds. are you looking for an led fixture or are you gonna build one?
leds are powerful but still have missing parts of the spectrum IMO. i think it should be supplemented with t5s to choose the spectrums missing. alot of systems still do great using LED only. some add red and green leds to add to the spectrum.

nikesb

is this a biocube or a standard 29g?
you might want to look into evolution led fixtures if you're looking for something all in one. Theyre only using 1w LEDs but they still back a punch
or a really nice one is the AquaIlluminations nano fixture.

1 Watt would be all he would need in that Nano tank. I would say around 10-12 1 Watt LED's would fix you right up, might even be too much.

nikesb

i highly doubt 10-12 1 watters would do anything. still needs more than that. even if its a nano, 1 watt leds in a 10-12 set up would have very little coverage and very little power. 1w leds are only powerful enough when theyre bunched together

lyman1415

What do you guys think of the Marineland LED Reef Capable light? And what kind of skimmer would you recommend for that size tank.

nikesb

the reef capable lights are only good for softies. even then, i still think theyre pure crap compared to diy systems. you're much better off with a 100w 3g Evolution LED fixture. you could still keep sps with one of these
as for the skimmer, do you have a sump for the skimmer or will you need an job?