Time to change MH lighting

soulsigma

It's MH change out time and I would like to know if going from 2 14K Phoenix 250W DE to 2 22 K MEGACHROME blue 250 Watt - DE will have any negative effects on my corals. I've already changed out my 4 55W dual compacts last month. I have a total of 720W lighting a 75g tank and the fixture is suspended 18" above the water surface. The antics run for 12 hours, while the MH run for 8hrs.

bang guy

Since it's most likely a significant change in spectrum my guess is that it will take the zooxanthellae 2 - 4 weeks to adjust to the new lighting. So, the corals may not look normal for a while.
I'm not sure what 22K actually means though
The Kelvin color scale only goes up to 20,000K. Those marketing people

bang guy

I take that back, I just reviewed the spectral plots and they are very similar. The biggest difference is in PAR, about 90 for the Phoenix and about 60 for the megachrome. Since your phoenix are older the corals may not even notice the difference.

soulsigma

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3265058
I take that back, I just reviewed the spectral plots and they are very similar. The biggest difference is in PAR, about 90 for the Phoenix and about 60 for the megachrome. Since your phoenix are older the corals may not even notice the difference.
So I am getting better par from the phoenix ? What about the Elos Spectra-chrome 250w 20k Rx7 "abyss" or the 20K 250W HQI DE - Aqualine Buske Halide Bulb ? I am more into coloring up my corals than growing them out.