Tink's Tank!

My fiance surprised me today and let me know about my 22nd Birthday gift! A 12G Nano Tank! We already have a 38G tank at his house but growing up I always had a freshwater tank in my room and last year I had to take everything out because the house was being tented. I wasn't going to re-do the freshwater tank but I missed having fish in my room so he decided to order a nano tank for me!
The problem is that its been so long since we set up a tank that I don't remember anything and every time I go to the stores they try to sell me everything I don't need!
How much live sand should I start out with? The tank is 14in L 15in W and 13in H. I don't want a super deep sand bed.
And how much live rock should I get? Our plan is to build up and get it full of many different color corals as we can afford.
The tank should arrive later this week so by the weekend it should be set up with water, sand, and rocks! By that point I will definitely be posting pictures!

A

azul1994

Recommended amount of live rock is 1-2 pounds per gallon of water. So anywhere between 12-24 pounds would be good.
And for sand, if you don't want a deep sand bed you could go with a ten pound bag of sand.

halostalker

=P happy for u, some of us are going threw what u are and some of us just got started and some of the members are 100+ year pro's so u will always find help

Also alot of us have our nano diary so feel free to come by and say hi. You might just find a idea we are doing to ur liking=P

I am trying to figure out what fish I want to add to the tank but I am not really sure how many are supposed to be in such a small tank.
I really want:

A purple firefish goby
False Percula Clownfish
Fire Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Hermits and Snails
I can never get my hands on Nassarius Snails so I need some other way to keep sand clean. Someone already told me in another post that the sleeper goby gets too big =(
What do you guys have in your tiny tanks?

matt b

Originally Posted by think_tink13
http:///forum/post/2528056
I am trying to figure out what fish I want to add to the tank but I am not really sure how many are supposed to be in such a small tank.
I really want:

A purple firefish goby
False Percula Clownfish
Fire Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Hermits and Snails
I can never get my hands on Nassarius Snails so I need some other way to keep sand clean. Someone already told me in another post that the sleeper goby gets too big =(
What do you guys have in your tiny tanks?
that list should be fine as long as you keep up with water changes. And nass snails you can order online. I hate having fish clean my sand bed cause they eat all the good stuff and mess it up and make it look bad

So on Monday my tank finally arrived in Miami! On Tuesday we set it up on my night stand. Today we added salt water, sand, and live rock. I finally had a tank back in my room! Too bad it only lasted an hour...
This was my tank. The rock wasn't set up the way I wanted but I wanted the water to clear so I could see what I was doing.

I was going to set up the rock after dinner, until I saw this...

Yes that is an outline of the water leaking from my tank.
It only took 15 minutes for water to puddle on my night stand. So while my fiance e-mailed the company we bought it from, I started to take out all the water, sand, and rock from the tank and put it into an old tank I had. And I had to do this with a small cup, so I wasn't exactly happy.
The tank is now back in its box and ready to be sent back to the company and we are looking into buying a better made tank.
UGH!

joebob7

im sorry to hear about that
but just because that tank had a leak doesnt mean that all cubes are crappy
I think there was a guy on the forums who got a whole new tank without sending in the old one and he ended up with 2 tanks! But dont get any illegal ideas haha

the list of fish looks like it will be just fine for a 12 gallon. I bet after surfing the forums you will also get hooked on corals (they are like crack!)
In my tank i have 2 conchs that clean my sand bed if you cant find any snails.

keri

Yeah, i had a blown ballast on my 8g oceanic BC and the company sent me a free replacement no problem! Overall I'm actually really happy with the brand. Sorry to hear about your leak, I know how discouraging that is, but they'll make it better!

Originally Posted by joebob7
http:///forum/post/2540059
im sorry to hear about that
but just because that tank had a leak doesnt mean that all cubes are crappy
I think there was a guy on the forums who got a whole new tank without sending in the old one and he ended up with 2 tanks! But dont get any illegal ideas haha

the list of fish looks like it will be just fine for a 12 gallon. I bet after surfing the forums you will also get hooked on corals (they are like crack!)
In my tank i have 2 conchs that clean my sand bed if you cant find any snails.
I know not all are crappy but after my fiance told me about the one he bought me (Cube Master) and I did research I heard a lot of people weren't happy about it. But they wont refund our money just send us a new one.
They told us that out of 300 shipped out a year there have only been problems with about 5. So we are hoping the new one works fine. And all the problems everyone was complaining about before, the company claims have all been addressed in the new model.
I can't wait to fill the tank with corals! Hopefully the new tank will be here by my birthday!

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2540420
What kind of tank did you have anyhow? Good luck on your next try

The 2008 Cube Master. A lot of posts complain about the cube master and the problems they have had. But when we bought it, it said that the filter was improved and "No more bulky ballast period fixes the 2006 problem of light over heating and damaged ballasts." That is straight from the site.
Hopefully the new one they send us wont have a leak!

This is where my rock and sand will be housed until a new tank arrives. I don't have any professional lights on it, just sun light and a lamp. I have a power head to keep things moving and an air stone air pump for oxygen.
Hopefully the rock will survive!

We weren't sent a new tank.
UPS denied the claim that they were responsible for the tanks damage during shipping because we threw away the box it came it. (The box was huge - his house is small - so we threw it away). In order for the company to send us a new one, one of two things need to happen; either UPS accepts responsibility and pays for a new tank to be shipped, or we pay to have the damaged tank shipped to china for the manufacturer to test it and determine what happened with the tank and then we need to pay for that tank to be shipped back. The only way they will accept it as a manufacturer defect is if we had is set up on a nano stand (which we didn't). Because we didn't it voids the warranty.
SOOOOO...
I got my old 10 gallon tank I used to have freshwater in and I cleaned it out (with out soap) and we now have it set up for salt! It has the live power head, rock, and sand that I was housing in the small 5 gallon by the window. I bought a new Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel® Aquarium Power Filter and a 20" Satellite 40W w/Lunar Light.
Before the lights came in:
Attachment 197019
Attachment 197020
Attachment 197021
After the lights were installed:
Attachment 197022
Attachment 197023
I tested the parameters this morning and they are at:
Salinity: 1.027
pH: 7.8
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0
I removed a gallon of salt and replaced it with purified freshwater. I have to pick up pH buffer so I'll treat that later today and re-test tomorrow.

Is it possible that the tank cycled while in the holding tank?

matt b

Originally Posted by think_tink13
http:///forum/post/2582864
We weren't sent a new tank.
UPS denied the claim that they were responsible for the tanks damage during shipping because we threw away the box it came it. (The box was huge - his house is small - so we threw it away). In order for the company to send us a new one, one of two things need to happen; either UPS accepts responsibility and pays for a new tank to be shipped, or we pay to have the damaged tank shipped to china for the manufacturer to test it and determine what happened with the tank and then we need to pay for that tank to be shipped back. The only way they will accept it as a manufacturer defect is if we had is set up on a nano stand (which we didn't). Because we didn't it voids the warranty.
SOOOOO...
I got my old 10 gallon tank I used to have freshwater in and I cleaned it out (with out soap) and we now have it set up for salt! It has the live power head, rock, and sand that I was housing in the small 5 gallon by the window. I bought a new Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel® Aquarium Power Filter and a 20" Satellite 40W w/Lunar Light.
Before the lights came in:
Attachment 197019
Attachment 197020
Attachment 197021
After the lights were installed:
Attachment 197022
Attachment 197023
I tested the parameters this morning and they are at:
Salinity: 1.027
pH: 7.8
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0
I removed a gallon of salt and replaced it with purified freshwater. I have to pick up pH buffer so I'll treat that later today and re-test tomorrow.

Is it possible that the tank cycled while in the holding tank?

Looks GOOD!!! I like the look of normal tanks better cause it seems like theres more room! It is possible that you wont have a cycle cause of the rock and sand in the other tank for so long so I would wait a week or so and if you dont see a spike then your good to go.

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2582919
did they give you a refund or did you just pay for the 14gal and send it back and then forget about it?
They don't do refunds, its on their policy or whatever. So we are just looking at it as a lesson learned. I did keep the mag float that came with it. My fiance and I just joke about it saying that we paid $130 for a glass cleaner. There is no use in being angry cause it wont solve anything. So we moved on.

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2583021
Looks GOOD!!! I like the look of normal tanks better cause it seems like theres more room! It is possible that you wont have a cycle cause of the rock and sand in the other tank for so long so I would wait a week or so and if you dont see a spike then your good to go.

I love the way it looks too!
The Nano Cube was two gallons larger but it didn't really seem like it. I want to add that poster covering on the back of the tank so you can't see cords through the tank.
My fiance wanted to add a clean up crew tomorrow but I forgot the pH buffer at his house so since I can't treat the tank now it wont be ready for tomorrow =( I can wait a week... I think =)