Tip for measuring Magnesium...

pegasus

I have a tip for anyone manually dosing Magnesium and then decide to use a new measuring device. I've been dosing for 140 gallons, and using a 10 mL syringe. I was at the hardware store the other day, and saw an OXO measuring cup that had mL measurements on one side. I thought to myself, wow... it sure would be a lot easier to pour it out of a cup rather than fill a 10 mL syringe 14 times! Yay!!! So I bought it and took it home. It goes up to 250 mL... 10 mL increments until it gets to 100 mL, then changes to 50 mL increments. The second to the top mark is 200, and the top mark is 50, which when read correctly, means the top mark is 250 mL. Can anyone see where this is going?

The first time I used it (last week) I prepared to dose 140 mL, so I filled it to the 100 mark, poured it in, and filled it again to the 40 mL mark. Perfect... 140 mL go in without a hitch!

Fast forward to today. I did a water change, and a couple of hours later, I check my Mag, Alk, and Cal. All were just a tad low, so I grab my brand new measuring cup by OXO and my Magnesium jug. I glance at the cup, and notice 50 at the top scale. I know I have to add 1 mL for each gallon of water, so I pour it to the 50 mark (top mark) and dump it in my sump in front of the return pumps. I fill it again to the 50 mark, and dump it in the sump as well. I'm starting to fill the cup again, when I happened to look below the 50 mark, and notice a big, red 200. OOPS! At that moment, I think my butt hole came through my throat and almost choked me. I had just dosed enough Magnesium for 500 gallons... in a 140 gallon system. I freaked. I had performed a water change only hours before, so I had no water to do an emergency water change. I immediately start filling my 30 gallon mixing vat with RO/DI water, but it will take a few hours to fill. Oh... and I'm in my basement where the refugium is locate when all of this is happening. You can only imagine my dilemma. I go upstairs, feeling about an inch tall, to survey the damage in my tanks. I casually tell my wife what I had done, and she doesn't seem to realize the severity of my screw up. She wants to remain calm and act like there's nothing to worry about. I don't get it. I ease over to the first tank, and everything looks normal. I slink over to the other tank, and it's looking normal as well. I have never done anything like this to my glass boxes, so I didn't know what to expect after overdosing Magnesium by 3 1/2 times. I thought I'd find everything flipped upside down, and all the corals would be withered and dead. It's been a couple of hours since the "accident", and nothing is showing any signs of stress. I just fed the tanks, and the fish are gobbling up the food in their normal fashion. None of the corals have shriveled, and all still have polyps extended like nothing ever happened. I hope to see the same thing in the morning.

Now for my tip: If you buy a new measuring device... make sure you read it correctly!!! :eek: :confused: :mad:

The end.

1guydude

Just watch ur cal, mag, and alk.
When one goes out of balance so does the other. Ur Cal might drop...
Ph Cal alk mag all the parameters r inter twined.
Hths. Should b okay just don't dose mag for awhile imo lol.
D

pegasus

About a year ago, I elevated my Mag to 2000 ppm for two weeks when I thought I had Briopsis. It didn't throw the other levels off then, so I'm not too worried about it messing with the current levels. Magnesium is needed to keep calcium from binding to carbonate. Low levels of Mag results in Calcium drops (precipitation). High levels of Mag doesn't seem to have much of an effect on calcium, as corals and coralline algae manage to combine the two to form calcium carbonate. I'll check the Mag level in the morning to see how elevated it is. I'm not concerned about the level of Mag... I'm concerned about how quickly I raised it. It's been about 5 hours since it happened, and everything still looks good. I hope morning will bring good news...

snakeblitz33

It shouldn't really bother anything too much. Are you using magnesium sulfate or magnesium chloride?

A good graduated cylinder would be even better. ;)

pegasus

Not sure which. It's Kent TechM, expiration Dec.2016.

LOL... I actually asked the clerk at the h/w store about graduated cylinders, but he didn't stock them. The measuring cup was the closest thing, so that's what I went with. I think I'm going to black out the 50 at the top of the scale, and let 200 be the top mark. That'll save me from any confusion in the future. Of course, after this afternoon... I'll be triple-checking any and all measurements made in that cup!!!

Not advertising... I'd just love to have a set of these: http://www.**************.com/7-piece-liquid-measuring-beaker-set-oxo.html

pegasus

Just checked the tank, and everything is looking great. Ceriths have emerged from the sand and doing their thing on the glasses, crabs and shrimp crawling all over, and what isn't normally asleep by this time appears to be doing what they always do. I think it's safe for me to close my eyes now. Have a great night!!!

bang guy

" I had just dosed enough Magnesium for 500 gallons... in a 140 gallon system."

Dosages based on tank size are just very general guidelines. Similar to watts per gallon for lighting - nearly irrelevant.

What I recommend is to start charting how far down a trace element falls in a week and how much you need to replenish to get it back up to your desired level. That will tell you approximately how much of that trace element your system is consuming. THAT is your proper dosage, not some random number on a label.

pegasus

" I had just dosed enough Magnesium for 500 gallons... in a 140 gallon system."

Dosages based on tank size are just very general guidelines. Similar to watts per gallon for lighting - nearly irrelevant.

What I recommend is to start charting how far down a trace element falls in a week and how much you need to replenish to get it back up to your desired level. That will tell you approximately how much of that trace element your system is consuming. THAT is your proper dosage, not some random number on a label.
The only reason I dose for 140 gallons in a single pass is because 1 mL per gallon per day is what Kent Marine recommends. I purposefully avoid overdosing no matter which additive I'm using. I can always add the remaining dosage another day. I think adding 3.5 X of a recommended dosage is a bit excessive, even for "very general guidelines". Using your analogy, it would be akin to recommending 3W of light per gallon, and someone installing 10W per gallon... lol!

PS: My Mag falls (on average) 20 ppm weekly, so 150 mL is the amount of Mag I dose weekly in a 140 gallon system. THAT is my proper dosage (not some random number on a label) according to the chart that I've been keeping... but thanks for the tip.

bang guy

Most tank are low on Sulfur as well so Magnesium sulfate works well except that it takes massive doses because Magnesium sulfate is mostly Sulfur. Magnesium chloride is a highly concentrated Magnesium source.

SO, I would suggest using both.

bang guy

I'm not sure what liquid you are referring to. I'd suspect it would be Calcium chloride mixed with Calcium sulfate dissolved in water. It should be a good additive, just more costly than making your own.