to catch a clown (or two)

reefkprz

well I have sold my tomatoe clowns to a local aquaculture program... they are in my 75G reef. catching them will surely prove to be an adventure. I get this nasty feeling I'm going to have to tear down my tank to get them.
well thats life. I'm going to try and catch them in an acrylic fish trap but I think they are too wary for that. if it doesnt work I will be tearing apart my tank tommorrow to get them out...... well I kind of wanted to re aquascape anyhow... kinda but not really. but if it comes to the tear down I promise to take pictures so you all can see how dumb I am for agreeing to sell fish out of a fully set up reef......

J

jesses89

Do they have an anemone they sleep in? Do you have Moonlights?
seems pretty easy to me

reefkprz

the trap in place, after an hour or two I am going to feed some mysis to promote the fish activity and try and sucker them into the trap.... this could take a while.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Jesses89
http:///forum/post/2562794
Do they have an anemone they sleep in? Do you have Moonlights?
seems pretty easy to me
*S* I'll try that too. but no there are no moon lights on my tank though i do vave candles I can use to dimly light the tank to try and catch them in their sleep. thanks for the sugestion... I was thinking inside the box on that one.

reefkprz

well catching them at night was a great idea but didnt pan out. once I lifted my lights they woke up and as soon as the net entered the tank they were gone behind the rock work. well I wanted to re aquascape anyhow........

so in a couple hours I should have some fun pictures of before during and after the decimation of my 75g

reefkprz

this will be a great opportunity for me to fish out all those little coral frags that are lost behind my rock work that I can see but cant reach. as well as a chance to eradicate more mushrooms from my tank.

reefkprz

we should take guesses on how many stray frags and loose polyps I have back there... I'm sure there are some I cant see.
I'm going to say at least 10
any other guesses?

nycbob

it took me a while to catch my sailfin tang a couple of weeks ago. maybe this will help.
1. i found out where he was sleeping.
2. i turned on the light in the middle of the night.
3. once the dt light is on, the sailfin just stood there frozen, think the light
kind of shocked him.
4. i just gently put the net over him. the tang didnt move one bit.
5. he is now doing fine in my fowlr.

reefkprz

well I found 4 loose red mushroom 2 kenya trees 3small chunks of bleached out protopalys. `1 piece of poccilopora, a small branch of pink birdsnest and a hidden colony of mushrooms that are attached to a big rock, now I know the source of all the random mushrooms that keep poping up

reefkprz

here are some of the during pictures. the last picture in this group is not the best picture but if you look close you can see a line of bristle worm spines OUCH!

reefkprz

now for the first After shot. its still cloudy so I'll give it a couple hours and post a couple pictures

splatshot

It is awesome that you recovered more lost coral than I have in my tank. I can't wait until my system looks like yours.