to much money?

bang guy

That's not too bad. I would suggest going 250 watt though for only slightly more. This will give you a much better bulb selection and enough light to keep anything.

cindyski

everyone here is telling me i am going to be sorry if i dont go with mh, (i ordered VHO) but the guy at the LFS called me back and said it would be $194 more than the VHO setup i planned. so i figured i would go with it and add my actinics later.
now i have to add 2 fans. he also had an idea to venelate the hood with a vent at the top. some light would come through though. how do you think that would look?

D

daniel411

Depending on how your reflectors are set up you might be able to prevent-a flashlight onto your ceiling effect. I don't think you would really need to have an additional vent/fan in the ceiling if you have good cross air flow.

cindyski

for reflectors, i can pait the inside of the hood white cant i? i think i read that i the popular book on this site, con. marine aquar.

D

daniel411

I'm sure you could. I've also read about painting the inside of hoods. You can pick up aluminum reflectors that are quite efficient at redirecting most of the light down into the aquaium. They're quite cheap, and would work much better (IMO) than painting the inside of the canopy. I'd personally be really careful in what paint you select if you decide to paint though, seems like a potential fire hazzard. I've never tried it though.

cindyski

ohhhh, good point about the paint. them MH's are hot!!! anyone ever line with aluminum foil?

dzones

...also with the painting I would not recommend that at all since the salt will quickly make the paint crack and peel...then little bits of paint fragments will be in the water..not good I would think.
Foil SHOULD work since it can easily withstand 4-500 degree ovens without any change in composition.

michaeltx

I wouldnt use aluminum it can degrade overtime and fall back into the tank.
the oven thing is a good point but in a tank your looking at about 10 hours aday everyday it wont take long for it to start to degrade. you can find reflectors for about 20-30 dollars if you look for them which are 100% better than paint or foil.
Mike

cindyski

thanks guys, i will look for reflectors, i thought i would be able to cut a corner somewhere to save a couple $$ but i guess not :mad:

michaeltx

as a temp solution it might work but I really wouldnt cut corners on lights. if something is out of wack it can cause a fire in a hurry. so to me its safer and better to do that part right the first time so theres no problems later that might be a disaster for you and the tank.
Mike

cindyski

ok, thanks again everyone, i am not a DIYer so tht kinda sucks for me :mad: but i do appreciate all opinions!!!