Too much light in Refugium?

sultan

I set up my refugium with a 500 watt p/c and my macros have lost their green color. (they have turned a pale/white color) Is it possible that the light is too intense and should I raise the light or limit it's duration?

flatzboy

Your light is perfect then IMO an not to much either. I believe what your macros are doing is going sexual its when they release all the nutrients they have absorbed back into the tank. I would try a different macro algea like cheatomorpha or extend your lighting period to 24/7.:D

ohioreef

Mine has turned a pale color as well. It also seems like it has slowed it's growth considerably.
My chaeto floats on the surface and has grown out in a flat mat like. Should it do that?
A lot I've seen are a ball that stays submerged. Am I doing something wrong?

squidd

What are your alk and calcium and pH levels at...?
Do you drip Kalk...??
No "definative" answer here, just collecting/ reference to "flesh out" a theory I have... :thinking:

ohioreef

alk is at 2.4
Ca is 460
pH runs around 8.1
I do not drip kalk.
I did switch to a different light that was only 2700K. I have put my 6500K back on it to see if that is the difference. I am planning on ordering a 5100K from HD.
An experiment posted on another board found that the 5100K grew chaeto very well compared to the 2700 and 6500K lamps.