Top 10 best guitarist

jackri

Robert Johnson
Jimmy Page
BB King
Eric Clapton
Satriani (he actually is a great write --without words)
Steve Vai
Hendrix
V.H.
Randy Rhodes
John Petrucci (spelling?) The guy from Dream Theater
Just off the top of my head though... Yngwie and his attitude can go play by themselves.

dobber1111

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2927983
Robert Johnson
Jimmy Page
BB King
Eric Clapton
Satriani (he actually is a great write --without words)
Steve Vai
Hendrix
V.H.
Randy Rhodes
John Petrucci (spelling?) The guy from Dream Theater
Just off the top of my head though... Yngwie and his attitude can go play by themselves.
Honestly (and don't hate me for this) that is my problem with the Steve Vai's and the Satriani's and the Eric Johnson's. They have this "Dig Me" thing going on that grates my nerves. I guess if you are purely a guitar enthusiast then that doesn't bother you. I personally prefer the guitarist that can play with the band and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. The mark of a true musician is he can blend with any style or type of band.

salty blues

Originally Posted by Dobber1111
http:///forum/post/2928516
Honestly (and don't hate me for this) that is my problem with the Steve Vai's and the Satriani's and the Eric Johnson's. They have this "Dig Me" thing going on that grates my nerves. I guess if you are purely a guitar enthusiast then that doesn't bother you. I personally prefer the guitarist that can play with the band and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. The mark of a true musician is he can blend with any style or type of band.
I get what you are saying, however at least EJ has a distinctive sound. Vai and Satriani, while technically proficient, tend to sound like all the other shredders out there.

tx reef

Originally Posted by salty blues
http:///forum/post/2928754
I get what you are saying, however at least EJ has a distinctive sound. Vai and Satriani, while technically proficient, tend to sound like all the other shredders out there.
You should listen to Satrianis entire catalogue before making such a statement. The guy explores a different style of music in almost every album.
Jazz, blues, rock, techno, etc.....he studies music from all over the world and incorporates it into his songs. The reverse of your statement is actually true...Satriani is one of the most diverse musicians around.
Originally Posted by Dobber1111

Satriani is a true musician. He could make your head spin with everything he knows. He can play any style of music you ask him to and blend in fine with any band.
You don't try to blend in when your guitar is the essentially the "vocals" for the song.

dobber1111

Originally Posted by TX Reef
http:///forum/post/2929574
You should listen to Satrianis entire catalogue before making such a statement. The guy explores a different style of music in almost every album.
Jazz, blues, rock, techno, etc.....he studies music from all over the world and incorporates it into his songs. The reverse of your statement is actually true...Satriani is one of the most diverse musicians around.
Satriani is a true musician. He could make your head spin with everything he knows. He can play any style of music you ask him to and blend in fine with any band.
You don't try to blend in when your guitar is the essentially the "vocals" for the song.
When I said blend in, I didn't mean fade into obscurity or dumb down your playing to suit the band. I meant be a part of the band. Sometimes I listen to solos that go on forever and take on a life of their own, with no regard to the rest of the band or the actual "song" being played.
But, I'm not gonna say I've taken the time to listen to the entire catalogue of all the guitarists listed. And yes, when there is a reason they call the lead guitar the "lead". So I can definitely see where you are coming from.
I realize I am merely expressing a personal preference.