Top Filtration For A 150 Gallon

shawnlx86

I'M LOOKING TO SET UP EITHER A 120 OR 150 GALLON FOWLR AND I AM OVERWHELMED BY CHOICES AND BRANDS FOR FILTRATION. IF ANYONE HAS THIS SIZE TANK AND IS VERY SUCCESFUL WITH FILTRATON, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD GIVE ME A LIST OF WHAT YOU USE AND ANY OHER HELPFUL ADVICE.:notsure:
THANKS

cincyreefer

First of all... Welcom to the boards. A little fyi- if you want more responses then I wouldn't type in all caps. It makes it seem like you are yelling and just plain difficult to read.
What kind of tank will this be? I am assuming aggressive since you posted in here, so I would recommend a wet dry filter and shallow sand bed. I would highly recommend getting a predrilled tank if you don't have one already and any wet dry with bioballs should be fine. You can even build your own rather easily if you wanted. I would run a mag 12.5 if your overflows can handle it, which they should if you have 2. You might also want to look into getting a UV sterilizer and good protein skimmer as well. And remember to quarantine all your fish for a minimum of 3 weeks before you add them to your tank.

jon.316

It sounds like this will be your first tank so make sure you do a lot of research before deciding.
If I were to start up a new tank that size (i already have a 155 bow front agreesive fish only tank)
I would get 2 inches of live sand as my bed (crushed coral is a lot more work and a lot less filtration)
and a refugium with bioballs rated for around 180 gallons.
A mag drive or similar pump that runs about 1000 gph as a return pump (i have an iwaki but its too loud).
If you dont have the tank predrilled get a cpr overflow rated higher than your pump so u dont have to limit your pump. (its nice and quiet and looks good)
Live rock is awsome but costs ya more----if not a cauliflower coral or the type as decoration and places for ur fish to hide is necessary.
I would buy an in sump downdraft skimmer rated for 150 gallons. (get the ETSS if you can afford it---if not any kind of skimmer works about the same)
and power compact lites with half blu accitinic bulbs and half white bulbs
email me if you need more help...good luck
jon
jttranz@yahoo.com

lions n nd

I just got ride of a 125 aggressive
I started out with 2 Emperor 400 and a large skimmer worked great for everything
I ran coralife powercompacts 2 actnics and 6 10000k
that lite it up nice for me
and fairly inexpensive to start with you can alway upgrade once you get the feel for what you like

saltfisher

I have three Fluval 404s and a AquaClear 150 sump on my 180. Water is crystal clear all the time. I have 3 AquaClear Powerheads, too.

cubfan

I've got a 150 extra high V. lion tank with 2 fluval 304's and 4 Zoomed 228 powersweep heads and everything is running great. I don't plan on a huge bioload in my tank, and that allows me to get away with less equipment. Good luck