Top-off System For Evaporation

marinerock

HI ALL,
ANYONE HAVE PLANS OR DIAGRAMS TO MAKE OR BUY AN
AUTOMATIC WATER TOP-OFF SYSTEM TO REFILL A WET/DRY SUMP
DUE TO EVAPORATION.....
WHAT ITEMS WOULD BE NEEDED TO DESIGN A SYSTEM?
ITS FOR A 125 W/SLS 200 GAL.WET/DRY...
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE A SYSTEM CAN BE PURCHASED?
THANKS FOR THE INFO....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

tru conch

im in the planning stages right now, but a float switch and a pump (probably a bilge pump of sorts) to just have sitting inthe fw bucket.
i will post more once i get it working.
i do not know of any premade topoff kits
htht=

josh

Get yourself a grainger float switch and a PH. Very easy to setup and it controls itself.

isz

i had an earlier post about an auto top off. do a seach for my name and its the one called "need opinion on DIY auto top off" or something like that

oceanjumper

See the post "broomer5, and all expierenced DIY "
I attached a picture of my setup incl. automatic top-off system.
I have the Power Liquid Level Controller of Spectrapure (http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p3.htm). It came for $60 (incl. shipping).
In my setup I use a small maxijet as pump (connected to the PLLC) resting on some eggcrate in the freshwater container. I have a 5/8 ID hose from the maxijet to the sump. Works like a charm.

guppie

I set one up awhile back and love it. I picked up a Ultra float switch, maxi-jet 900 ph, and I had a 7 gal bucket, very easy to set-up and has work like a champ. Sorry no pic's as of yet.

S

starfishjackedme

I also use an Ultrafloat switch from www.petsolutions.com and i have never had any problems with it. The float switch is the easiest and moste affordable solution IMO and very dependable. I use a Mag 7 to push kalk topoff water to my sump via the float switch. This addition made my salinity is very stable.

marinerock

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES...
MAYBE SOMEONE CAN POST A PICTURE OF THEIR TOP-OFF
SYSTEM TO GIVE ME SOME IDEAS....
I JUST SAW IN FAMA MAGAZINE, THEY HAVE A TSUNAMI AT-1
SYSTEM FOR TOP-OFF FOR $60, YOU SUPPLY PUMP AND BUCKET...
THERE IS ALSO ONE IN THERE FOR $180 FOR THE REEF-FILLER 1000-1....ANYONE EVER USE THESE....?
ALSO, MY MAIN CONCERN IS WATER OVERFLOWING ONTO FLOOR DUE TO FLOAT VALVE MALFUNCTION AND/OR ELECTRICAL OUTAGES....DOES ANYONE HAVE A SAFE SOLUTION SO THAT THERE ISNT ANYWAY FOR EITHER THE WET/DRY SUMP OR THE TOP-OFF CONTAINER OF WATER FROM OVERFLOWING...?
THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY...
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK

marinerock

OCEANJUMPER....
CAN YOU PLEASE RE-POST THE LINK TO YOUR SYSTEM INCLUDING THE TOP-OFF SYSTEM.........THE LINK IS NOT WORKING.....
THE LINK FOR THE SPECTRA-PURE SITE IS WORKING AND THAT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD UNIT.....
ARE THERE ANY NEGATIVES TO THAT UNIT?
IS IT SAFE NOT TO OVERFLOW THE SUMP OR THE BUCKET IN CASE OF A POWER OUTAGE OR ANYTHING ELSE...?
DOES IT HAVE AN ANTI-SIPHON DEVICE? ETC.
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

oceanjumper

Marinerock,
The PLLC that I use is very safe. Actually, I got the "tip" from r**f.org so I guess it is good.
If there is a power failure, you don't have to worry about overflowing. At least not from the top-off system. In worst case, the evaporated water will not be replenished. Overflowing can only occur if your sump was too full.
The only thing you need to be careful with is where you place the sensor. The sensor is a hollow plastic tube (with an airline connected to a powerbox) that sits in your sump. If water evaporates, the water level in the sump goes down and the pressure in the sensor-tube increases (or decreases, I'm not sure). Any way, if the pressure changes the powerbox goes on and activates whatever equipment you have connected to it. In our case this is a small pump, sitting in your freshwater container.
On teh picture attached you see two hoses. One is my return line (T-ed to the refugium), and one hose that comes from the freshwater container (make sure it sits very high in your sump. You don't want to make a U-tube out of it so that sumpwater can run back into your freshwater container e.g. after a power failure and the sump fills itself up).
Very difficult to see on the picture is the red top of the sensor-tube (it sits next to the return line). If you look carefully you will see the airline. Also make sure you don't block/press the airline, it might activate the powerbox. Well, this is all I can explain about it.

marinerock

OCEANJUMPER.....
THANKS FOR SENDING THE PICTURE AND ALL THE INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT....ITS MUCH APPRECIATED.....
BEAR WITH ME.....YOU SAID TO PLACE THE SENSOR HIGH IN THE SUMP SO THAT IT WOULD NOT MAKE A U....DONT YOU HAVE TO PLACE THE SENSOR AT THE WATER LEVEL THAT YOU WANT MAINTAINED IN THE SUMP SO THAT THE SENSOR WILL KICK ON AND MAINTAIN THAT LEVEL?
ALSO, DOES YOUR POWERHEAD PLUG INTO THE TOP-OFF UNIT AND THEN THE T/O UNIT PLUGS INTO THE WALL OUTLET?
THANKS........
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK

oceanjumper

Yes, you are right. I might have been unclear. The sensor should be placed at the water level you desire. The end of the "freshwater container hose" (I call this now the FW hose) should be high in your sump. Imagine the following if the hose e.g starts under the water level. You just placed the hose in the sump so it contains air. There is no siphon. Gradually the water evaporates, water level goes down (exposing the end of the FW hose or not). At some point the T/O kicks on, water is pumped thru the FW hose, water level raises again, this time covering the end of the FW hose. Well, depending if your FW container is placed lower than the water level (like I have), the FW hose serves now as a siphon the other way around. That's why I recommend to place the end of the FW hose high in the sump (at least above the desired water level). Comprendez? lol! Of course, if the FW container is placed higher than the sump water level you don't have this "problem".
Indeed, the powerhead plugs into the T/O unit, the T/O unit plugs into the wall.
By the way, the way I have it, after the T/O dumped the FW into the sump, it takes the sensor about 3/4 inch of evaporation to kick on again. It is not that it maintains EXACTLY the same water level all the time. It goes down 3/4'..... and up 3/4'.....down 3/4'.....
Cheers!

reef fool

I was thinking of hooking up a Spectrapure liter meter, a little pricey, but works well. (around $250). No pump or float switch necessary. Has anyone ever used one? My LFS uses it.

marinerock

OCEANJUMPER.....
COOL.....COMPRENDE...LOL.....
MY T/O CONTAINER(IM THINKING A 15 GAL.TANK LIKE YOU HAVE FOR YOUR SUMP...NICE SIZE) OR A RUBBERMAID CONTAINER AS I THINK THE COVER IS A BIG PLUS OR ELSE I THINK I MAY HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER T/O UNIT FOR THE T/O UNIT WITHOUT THE COVER...LOL ....IT SHOULD HAVE A COVER RIGHT? TO LESSEN THE EVAPORATION IN THE T/O UNIT........
I HAVE A FORMICA STAND...125 GAL TANK
THE T/O UNIT AND RESERVOIR WILL BE RIGHT NEXT TO THE
WET/DRY....SO AS LONG AS THE WATER IN THE T/O RESERVOIR
IS HIGHER THAN THE SUMP WATER LEVEL...WHICH IS ONLY MAYBE
5-6"....THEN I SHOULDNT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH BACK SIPHONING SHOULD A POWER FAILURE OCCUR...CORRECT?
THANKS AGAIN....
MARINEROCK

oceanjumper

Ha ha! Yes, good thinking! A cover would be nice...!! My FW container is completely sealed with only two small openings: one for the electrical cord, one for the FW hose. I also cut a lid in the cover for refill (but normally this is closed as well).
You're correct about the back siphoning. Nevertheless, I would recommend better be safe than sorry and just place the end of the FW hose above sump water level (but fix it. It should NOT fall OUT of your sump!! Imagine what THAN happens...!!).
Would love to see a picture when you have everything going. Bonne chance!

marinerock

OCEANJUMPER.....
I THINK THATS WHAT IM GONNA DO.....SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD SYSTEM....BY THE WAY....YOURE SET-UP LOOKS GREAT AND SO DOES YOUR TANK.....
WILL KEEP YA UPDATED....THANKS AGAIN....
REGARDS.......
MARINEROCK

eng50

The best way to assure no overflow of topoff water is to make the capacity of the topoff container no more than the amount that would overflow the wet/dry if it pumped it all in. That way, no worries!! For example, I am building a topoff unit using the same controller Marc(OceanJumper) suggested, and will be using apx a 5 gallon container for water, my wet/dry can handle that much, even though it might be fuill to the top, and the pump burn out in the topoff, it will not FLOOD!! Seems logical, but worth mentioning I thought!!
HTH
Bill

oceanjumper

Hey Bill ~ I knew we could count on you for a useful contribution! I just looked at that scenario in my setting. I guess I would have a flood of ~ a gallon or two (provided I JUST refilled my FW container). Ah well.... as long as the misses wouldn't notice....

marinerock

DO YOU GUYS PUT ANYTHING IN THE TOP-OFF WATER BUCKET TO KEEP IT AERATED OR JUST LEAVE IT IDLE?
DID YOU SEE THE TSUNAMI AUTO TOP-OFF UNIT FOR $60 ?
IF SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT UNIT OR DO YOU THINK
THE ONE YOU HAVE IS BETTER?
WHAT SIZE PUMP OR POWERHEAD DO YOU USE?
THANKS