Topic of the Month:refugiums

T

thomas712

Guess I'll add mine to the thread here. I like NM also setup a 55 gallon filtration tank and mine has been up and running a year this October. I still don't have things just where I want them. I have some base rock that I think I'll be adding pretty soon and change things around. Yesterday I harvested about 50% of the cheatomorpha algea.
Here is the 55 gallon going through a water test out on the deck before setup.

T

thomas712

Here it is behind my 90 gallon display before adding the background

T

thomas712

Here is what it looks like today, even after the 50% removal of chaeto. Pretty much a bare bones fuge. But believe me when I tell you that the chaeto grows like a weed if you have any nutrient problem at all. After the first 4 or 5 months I had well over 50% of this 55 gallon fuge full and took out a couple of 5 gallon buckets worth. After that I don't let it get that full again.
I plan to add more rock along the back wall and get a small powerhead for a bit more water flow.
Right now it just gravity feeds out of my main tank overflow from two seperate syphon tubes, then gravity drains to the sump underneath.

T

thomas712

All depends on your setup and what you have room for. In my opinion, no. First of all I do not want anything stressing the main aquarium like the wieght of additional water hanging on the back panal of glass. Second you can make one much cheaper than what you might pay for a hang on. Some folks like it though and it works for them. Like I said all depends on your setup and what your willing to do. Remember when talking refugiums bigger is better.
Thomas

buckeye

Thomas712 thanks for the info.
Im limted in space, with the wet dry sump under the main aquarium.
It sure makes sense to have one.
I can always support the hang on.
Thanks again

killergoby

Originally Posted by Buckeye
New at refugiums. Is it wise to buy one of those hang on styles.

I've got CPR's 12" HOB refugieum on my tank and it's great. Easy to set-up, and easy to run and maintain. My tank is only a 29 gallon though, and I use heavy skimming too...

dgirard05

Nm : Can You Tell Me How To Post A Pic , Ever Time I Up Load The Pic It Dosn't Show Up. I Would Like To Post My Sump - Ref. On This Thread.
Thx. Dave

killergoby

Originally Posted by dgirard05
Nm : Can You Tell Me How To Post A Pic , Ever Time I Up Load The Pic It Dosn't Show Up. I Would Like To Post My Sump - Ref. On This Thread.
Thx. Dave

Go to Photo Bucket and register. Upload your photos there, then post the link here using the

bret61081

I have a 55G tank with a w/d filter. I wanted to add a 10G refugium and since I dont have a duel overflor...would it be ok to get 2 powerheads....one in the sump flowing into the refugium and then the other one flowing back in to the sump...Do you think this would work coming out of the sump and right back in. There is a rio 2100 in there flowing back to the main tank and I have a HOB skimmer. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

jobob

where it says live rock, that is really where my skimmer is. but here is pics of my fuge on my 55gal reef and one of the 29gal sea horse tank. 55gal is first. u really cant see the whole thing in the 55gal fuge but its a 10gal tank. this is when i first set them up.