Torch and Bubble Coral Questions

skinless85

I have an issue with my torch coral and a possible (curiousity more than anything) problem with my new green bubble coral...
I have a 4-headed torch coral and it has been doing great for the past month since i bought it. the last couple days i have noticed that the smaller head has not opened much. The other 3 heads are huge and looked like they might have been blocking the light from getting to the 4th head so i turned it slightly so that all 4 heads are getting light now. Will it eventually open up? are there any signs i need to keep an eye out for that i might be losing it? The right side of the stalk is pretty much gone thanks to the peppermint but the left actually has more color than before...
Before...

After...

The first day he was in the tank, it was huge when he inflated. At night he closed up and the tenticles came out. But last night about 30 mins. before the actinics came on, he closed up completely. For the next 2 hours he would inflate and deflate every 10-15 mins. When i woke up this morning he looked halfway inflated and his tenticles were fully extended which i assumed is normal. Never had one before so maybe i just need to adjust to its behavior. I just thought it was weird that he was acting this way the 2nd night but not the 1st.
Before...

After...

The Bubble Coral and the Torch are on opposite sides of the tank.

jerryatrick

Torch - Did you ever notice a brown film on the torch head that is gone now?
Bubble coral - What kind of lighting do you have for this tank and where do you have this coral placed?

meowzer

JerryAtrick;2984891 said:
I was thinking that too, but since I am not very experienced in corals I was hoping someone who was would ask...LOL....
The shrimp is cleaning the head up, but if it was that brown jelly stuff I belive the head needs to be removed (right?)

jerryatrick

meowzer;2984922 said:
Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2984891
I was thinking that too, but since I am not very experienced in corals I was hoping someone who was would ask...LOL....
The shrimp is cleaning the head up, but if it was that brown jelly stuff I belive the head needs to be removed (right?)
It is advised that the infected heads are removed because the disease can spread fast. The only advantage to keeping the dead heads is that possibly one day new growth will appear.

flower

Bubble coral gets those tendrils at night and stings everything it can reach. Sometimes up to 10 inches away, depending on the size.
If the torch coral is close it may have been stung.

skinless85

No i did not notice any brown substance on the torch heads. It looked great and then the next day it was closed a little and 2 days after it was completely closed. The peppermint took out half of the dead head but the other half has more color than it did before but still isnt open.
They are in a BC29 and the torch is on the far left and the bubble is on the far right. Both are halfway up the tank. The bubble was actually introduced to the tank 2 days AFTER i noticed the torch so it wasnt the bubble coral stinging it that caused it to die.
Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phosphates are all 0
Ph is 8.3
SG is 1.024
Alk is 11
Temp is 76-78
I also noticed a VERY TINY patch of tenticles on the side of the dead head. Could this be a possible head forming? I know it probably didnt contribute to the death of it but just thought it was kind of interesting.

jerryatrick

Stock lighting for those tanks is power compact so I don't think the bubble coral is suffering from intense lighting.

robertmathern

my bubble coral dose that all the time. It will close up before the lights go to attinic. try moving it arround in the tank to find a better place for him. Could be to much or to little flow.

skinless85

Yeah mine does it right before the lights go off. It does it off and on after the moonlights go on for about an hour also. Ill try moving him around.