Torch Coral Melting...

btldreef

My golden torch that I've had for quite some time "melted" over night. Normally I'd just say it was brown jelly disease, but there is no slime at all.
Thoughts?

meowzer

My thoughts is that this SUX.....besides that I got NUTTIN
Can you take a picture? Is anything left?...how's the tank temp?

btldreef

Definitely sux! It was just forming a second head too!
Temp is stable at 78
Specific Gravity: 1.025
Nitrates: 5ppm (I always keep a little nitrate in the tank)
pH: 8.2 constant
Nothing picking on it. Hasn't been moved since we moved it to this tank in June.
My white lights are not fully on yet, as soon as they are I'll post a pic, right now it's still too blue to show anything clearly. There's a tiny little group of tentacles hanging off the side, but they're barely holding on. Good thing I just bought some new corals last night, one of which will look awesome where this torch was, lol

btldreef

First thing my husband said was "The Pink Lemonade is going there is that torch is dead when I get home from work." haha
Last night we got:
Pink Lemonade Milli
Sunset Monti
Rainbow Monti
Montipora Setosa
Keds red zoas
So now we have room for some of our new stuff, but why couldn't my regular torch do this? Why did it have to be the golden torch? My corals hate me :sad:

snakeblitz33

I hate it for yah. Your pH is constant, but what about your calcium and alkalinity balance? How's magnesium looking? Sometimes pH can be stable, but alkalinity low. Have you done any other changes to the tank? Is there anything around it that could play chemical warfare with it?

btldreef

I hate it for yah. Your pH is constant, but what about your calcium and alkalinity balance? How's magnesium looking? Sometimes pH can be stable, but alkalinity low. Have you done any other changes to the tank? Is there anything around it that could play chemical warfare with it?
Mag/alk/calcium are all always stable, except when we were dosing mag for the bryopsis. Alk hangs at 9/9.5dkh, calcium is 420ppm and mag is 1250-1300. No changes. The tank has been very stable and doing really well, even through the bryopsis treatment, which is why this caught me so off guard.
It literally sat out on a branching piece away from everything. I think it just got jealous of the new pieces, lol
We did get awesome pieces, which truly put the torch to shame, so I can't be too upset. I just wish I knew why it happened.
Oh, did I mention the sps pack (everything except the zoas) only cost me $50 :evil: I love my local reefers! I could not believe the mother colonies or the amount of frags this guy had. All "designer" corals too. You name it, he's got it. I wish I had that kind of money!!!

snakeblitz33

Man, I dunno... I'm having a hard time finding quality SPS frags from any reefer right now. I am looking at cherry corals right now, but it's all so expensive.... and then I found Spikes corals and they seem decent but I've never heard any reviews from them. So, I dunno. There's several places in New Orleans that sell $10 and $15 SPS and LPS frags, but that's a 6 hour drive... I guess if I had the money to buy in bulk, it would be worth it. lol. I have a friend that lives in New Orleans and his girlfriend drives down there every two weeks and he said to give her some money and they would pick some up for me and she'd meet me back in town... but I don't know about that whole deal. I'm kinda picky with my corals. lol

snakeblitz33

Oh, and I'm not sure what could cause it to melt away overnight without being brown jelly... Maybe some kind of chemical warfare or necrosis... I'm not sure... lol. Might just have to chalk this one up to fate. lol

btldreef

I've had brown jelly disease kill other corals in the past (not in this tank). There was no slime or anything. I didn't get home until after midnight last night and the torch was fine, but by 6am when my husband got up for work it was 3/4 of the way gone. It literally looked like someone took tweezers and ripped the tentacles from the skeleton. Oh well...
Cherry Corals has nice stuff, but I will warn you that their photos and what things look like in your tank will greatly vary unless you're running LEDs. I've been to the owners home, he's not that far from me, and his stuff is beautiful, but don't expect the absolute same colors as the pics.
I deal almost exclusively with fellow reefers now, especially for my SPS. The hobby is flooded where I live, and many people have a ton of money to dump on corals and then decide to get rid of the tank in under a year. I buy regularly from a few hobbyists who have some really nice quality pieces. Don't forget, Cherry Corals is a guy in a house. There's no store, so for me, he's just a local fellow reefer, lol
I know what you mean about being picky with corals. I have a tough time buying anything for my tank without being able to physically see and observe it. SWF is one of the few places online that I'm comfortable ordering livestock from, but their stock in the rarer pieces is limited and those are the pieces that I'm looking for now.

btldreef

How bout a pic? never seen a torch do that so fast - and have kept them a long time.
I have one pic of it, but only the blue lights were on, so it's really not clear. By the time my white lights came on, it was completely gone.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/388981/torch-coral-melting#post_3434205
I've had brown jelly disease kill other corals in the past (not in this tank). There was no slime or anything. I didn't get home until after midnight last night and the torch was fine, but by 6am when my husband got up for work it was 3/4 of the way gone. It literally looked like someone took tweezers and ripped the tentacles from the skeleton. Oh well...
Cherry Corals has nice stuff, but I will warn you that their photos and what things look like in your tank will greatly vary unless you're running LEDs. I've been to the owners home, he's not that far from me, and his stuff is beautiful, but don't expect the absolute same colors as the pics.
I deal almost exclusively with fellow reefers now, especially for my SPS. The hobby is flooded where I live, and many people have a ton of money to dump on corals and then decide to get rid of the tank in under a year. I buy regularly from a few hobbyists who have some really nice quality pieces. Don't forget, Cherry Corals is a guy in a house. There's no store, so for me, he's just a local fellow reefer, lol
I know what you mean about being picky with corals. I have a tough time buying anything for my tank without being able to physically see and observe it. SWF is one of the few places online that I'm comfortable ordering livestock from, but their stock in the rarer pieces is limited and those are the pieces that I'm looking for now.
Good to know. Thanks.

btldreef

Good to know. Thanks.

I know there's more than one guy involved now, in more than one state, but I think they're all keeping things under the same lighting. It's become the game with a lot of these "designer" pieces and sites.