Trace Elements

mz3bmx

I read that you need to supply trace elements for your corals, correct me if I'm mistaken but don't salt mixes already come with trace elements or should I just buy the elements in a bottle and dose? I want to put some SPS in my tank but need to get my water parameters straightened out. I use RO/DI water.
One more thing, does anybody use Kent Sea Salt? Because I seem to have high calcium readings with low pH and Alk with no dosing

I'll have to try the baked baking soda technique.

jerryatrick

You only need to dose for trace elements if your parameters are not within the correct range. I have never used Kent but I have had similar issues with Oceanic. I chose not to dose and just stayed on top of my weekly water changes.
Test the saltwater that you make up before adding it to the tank. Having a good amount of hard corals can really affect your alk if they are in a small tank especially.

meowzer

LOL...I wish I new that before I found this site...I currently have 2 16oz bottles of essential elements, 2 16oz bottles of iodide, 1 64oz bottle of reef complete, and 1 64 oz bottle of strontium and molybdenum
I was dosing 2x a week with most of them and 1x a week with the iodide

Once I joined this site...ALL THAT STOPPED
In case you are asking ...why do you have so much? LOL...cause I have to order all supplies online, so I order bigger quantities cause it's cheaper.
HEY...FOR SALE....blah blah

mz3bmx

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm making a trip to my LFS to return my Trace Elements lol

Once my parameters level out, as far as maintaining my calcium do you recommend dosing Kalkwasser Mix once a week? Will the mix bring up my pH and alkalinity or should I use baking soda for that?

jerryatrick

I can't answer your dosing questions because I have never dosed. But I wouldn't return all of the trace elements that you both purchased. As long as you have a test kit for each one I would keep them in case you really need them.
For example lets say one of your water parameters is extremely off. Water changes take time and salt is not cheap so it might be cheaper and easier just to dose.

paintballer768

Ive never dosed either but weekly/biweekly/monthly water changes should keep them within acceptable boundaries (obviously after a month they might get more out of whack)

coastie5685

The only time you should use trace elements really is when your using ro/di to top off your tank. Ro/di lacks trace elements.
And if ur really worried then dose it when running lots of carbon and a good protein skimmer when you DON'T do weekly water changes.