Trump tax plan

darthtang aw

Sad part is so many people are fed up w government they truely do believe in what trump is selling. If it was an actual politician saying what he is I don't think anybody would touch him in the polls. Only a fraction of the people actually vote. Yet more and more that I know are registering this yr, bc of trump!!! People will vote for him if he runs
People vote for Mickey mouse every year also.

gemmy

You also have to keep in mind she took over during the tech crash. A lot of CEOs lost their jobs during that time when circumstances were beyond their control. But going from a secretary to a ceo is a huge accomplishment when done in a major corporation. Much more impressive than trumps four bankruptcies.
I look at what has happened in Atlantic City and know that Trump is not someone I would want to become president.

geridoc

I not in favor of any tax scheme where there are deductions an more than one tax rate.

FWIW as we already know no one has invested anything is social security. None of our money is in the social security account. It has all been spent on wars, controlling our lives, and give a way programs like paying people for not working.

my .02
Actually, you are wrong. Social Security witholding is used to pay current benefits. As an effort to bolster the longevity of the system, several years ago witholding was increased above that needed for immediate payout, and the excess invested in bonds, which will be sold publicly when the number of retirees peaks and there are not sufficient workers to pay current benefits. The fix is easy - increase the retirement age by one or two years, or tie it to the increase in life expectancy and there is sufficient funding. But, social security taxes are not used directly for any government operation other than benefits, and bond purchases.

Your mistake is in thinking that there is an "account" where your payments to the system are kept in a locked box, to be paid out later, and that the government has looted your lockbox. That isn't how it works.

bang guy

As an effort to bolster the longevity of the system, several years ago witholding was increased above that needed for immediate payout,
IIRC A few years before the withholding was increased, the withholding was decreased which shortened the longevity of Social Security. The increase was just putting the withholding back up to where it was.

bang guy

I believe there's just shy of $3 trillion in assets for Social Security. Nearly all of it is held in "Government Securities". Government Securities is a polite way of saying IOUs.

2quills

IIRC, withholdings were decreased temporarily as part of a plan to relieve the American tax payers of the immediate sting of the recession and help re energize the economy under the current administration. It didn't have anything to do with social security reform.

Problem is we have more and more elderly folks living longer lives and less and less working tax payers to cover it.

bang guy

IIRC, withholdings were decreased temporarily as part of a plan to relieve the American tax payers of the immediate sting of the recession and help re energize the economy under the current administration. It didn't have anything to do with social security reform.

Problem is we have more and more elderly folks living longer lives and less and less working tax payers to cover it.
Right, but the effect was it lowered the funding of Social Security for a several years. My interpretation is that this defunding was the start of the Democrats dismantling Social Security. A successful start for sure.

pegasus

But, social security taxes are not used directly for any government operation other than benefits, and bond purchases.
Uhm... you have heard that a lot of money is taken out of SS and put into a "general fund", haven't you? The general fund is the government's cookie jar, and it's dipped into to pay for politicians' "pet projects". Money is taken out, and replaced with bonds that are so de-valued that there is very little return on them. What used to be 10% is now more like 2%. When it was functioning properly, it was sustainable. Worthless bonds have taken longevity out of the program...

2quills

Right, but the effect was it lowered the funding of Social Security for a several years. My interpretation is that this defunding was the start of the Democrats dismantling Social Security. A successful start for sure.
It's not just Dems. The GOP is taking shots as well.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing S.S. privatized as long as the folks who have already payed into it don't get screwed.

My money is probably safer through private investment than it is in the hands of our government anyway. At least I'd be able to choose what I wanted to do with it.

Freedom is freedom of choice.

beaslbob

Actually, you are wrong. Social Security witholding is used to pay current benefits. As an effort to bolster the longevity of the system, several years ago witholding was increased above that needed for immediate payout, and the excess invested in bonds, which will be sold publicly when the number of retirees peaks and there are not sufficient workers to pay current benefits. The fix is easy - increase the retirement age by one or two years, or tie it to the increase in life expectancy and there is sufficient funding. But, social security taxes are not used directly for any government operation other than benefits, and bond purchases.

Your mistake is in thinking that there is an "account" where your payments to the system are kept in a locked box, to be paid out later, and that the government has looted your lockbox. That isn't how it works.
My point was there is no account.

I glad you agree there is no money in the social security trust fund. That money was spend on payments to benefits as you stated and used to buy government bonds. which means the money the bonds were purchased with was used to pay government expenses. So now all that remains are those bonds or IOUs.

2quills

Lol

Shame on you for thinking that the glorified savings account should actually have money in it.

You know the gubment better than that.

bang guy

What's scary is that some liberal lawmakers are beginning to look at the massive amount of money tied up in 401Ks as potential future revenue.

2quills

What's scary is that some liberal lawmakers are beginning to look at the massive amount of money tied up in 401Ks as potential future revenue.
Well when you're 17 trillion in debt. That 20+ trillion tied up in 401k, IRAS and pensions seem mighty tempting.

That's what happened in Europe. And that's what happens when nations go bankrupt. Obama already enacted capital control. We need not look any further than Greece to understand what type of situation we are heading for here.

They already took over 1/6th of the economy with the stroke of a pen when Obama care was in acted. That wasn't enough. They want (they need) our retirement funds as well.

You guys didn't really want to retire, did you?

snakeblitz33

And they will get it too.

A friend of mine was telling me that the US will never end up like Greece because we have a large central bank. Well.... You can not keep printing money to cover expenses. It causes inflation which kills the economy.

They will end up taking those 401k's and pensions and say too bad, that's how we had to pay our debt.

geridoc

I believe there's just shy of $3 trillion in assets for Social Security. Nearly all of it is held in "Government Securities". Government Securities is a polite way of saying IOUs.
You are right, but that is the action required by law. The Social Security Administration is not permitted to place the surplus into a locked box, nor are they free to invest it in any way that they might wish - they must purchase US bonds. Of course, bonds are an IOU, and will have to be redeemed when Social Security needs the funds - just like General Motors or Google.