Two Angelfish?

Yes this is my 1st post and I am somewhat new to the hobby. I've been reading for MONTHS before I bought my 72G a few weeks ago. I went to the LFS the other day to get my water tested and I asked him about a few Angels. Everything I have read says do not keep 2 of these or they will fight, but he said he knew of quite a few people keeping numerous Angelfish in the same tank and just to introduce them at the same time. Is this possible? Is it even worth the risk?

95harley

I recently kept a Majestic and Flame in my 75g with a 30" Dragon Moray Eel (before I moved them to my 240g). Every fish is different but you should be aware and not try to mix established angels with new one's or try to cram 2 large one's in a small tanks.
My Queen bullied everything in an 8' 240g tank so read read read about the Angels you like and their attitudes.
Can be done, in such a small tank I'd do a pygmy and a smaller large but that's it. And that's only if neither establish's itself as THE only angel in the tank.

Well I was looking at a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty...But I had decided to only get a flame because I didn't want them fighting...

95harley

Try a Majestic as they are passive, shy, and typically not aggressive. Made for a nice mix as they would actually swim together.

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/2826047
Try a Majestic as they are passive, shy, and typically not aggressive. Made for a nice mix as they would actually swim together.
Are you saying get a Majestic only or add a Majestic with one of the two that I mentioned? I know for sure I want a Flame.

dang

I've got a coral beauty and a koran angel in the same tank and they are fine together. From what I've seen, is you can keep a small and large angel together, just not two small nor two large.

-tara33-

you can keep two small if you have enough hiding places in the rock, but i would stay away from the majestic, they are more for advanced hobbyiests-not very easy to get to feed, but two dwarf angels will be ok

Originally Posted by -Tara33-
http:///forum/post/2826081
you can keep two small if you have enough hiding places in the rock, but i would stay away from the majestic, they are more for advanced hobbyiests-not very easy to get to feed, but two dwarf angels will be ok
So the Angels hide? Do they pick a spot and claim it to be home or what?

95harley

my small angel (Flame) is all over the tank, but I hear two will work if there is lots of LR and places to hide.
My Majestic was living with my Flame no problems, but my LFS had the small Maj for over a month and he is eating like a chamo, Form 1&2, Mysis, Spectrum, Nori soaked in Zoe.
So as long as you pick a heathy one that is eating. My 2 Angels are now in my 20 and once my Yellow Tang got over her craziness they are both out about and eating just fine.

calaxa

It is possible. You will have to introduce both at the same time or very close to it. You will also need to have lots of hiding spots (lots of LR). Try to get two that are of different sizes.
I keep a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel together in a 90G. I have about 200 lbs. of LR. The CB (about 3-4") was introduced and was picked on by the Yellow Tang. This went on for a few days. I introduced the flame within the week. The flame is about 2" and was a very active swimmer in the LFS. He ate heartily and was very curious. The CB completely ignored him on first day, but the Yellow Tang, went after the flame. However, this flame was always able to slip by the Tang, being so small. The Yellow Tang gave up after a day. The CB does chase the flame now and then but he gives up pretty fast. Flames are generally very wily. Make sure you choose one that can hold his own. The CB and FA swim together quite often but aggression kicks up sometimes. I guess my CB is just a grump.
Be prepared if it doesn't work out. I have a few other tanks for contingency purposes. Also check the LFS to see if they are willing to have returns, etc.

I have a flame and a potter's, with no issues
But as others stated, angels are aggressive, so you take a chance mixing them. I was lucky...

Maybe I just need to get some more LR then I have a better chance of having more than 1 angel with no problems. Right now I think I at around 100 lbs in a 72G.

calaxa

That might be enough but you are taking your chances. Choosing different sizes will help. That way, one will run instead both fighting till death. Keep in mind, you will always risk coming home to find a dead angel and a severely injured one. The dominant one pretty much claims the whole tank. If you do it, just be ready for separation. Maybe let the smaller one get established first so he knows where to hide out. Then again, some angels act like damsels.

I'm not sure if I want to risk it. I am in the process of setting up another smaller tank...I guess I could get 2 and if they decide to fight just seperate them. However that's not what I want to have to do.

P

pool boy

I had a Blueface and a flame together in my 90 with over 125lbs of live rock.
I tried to add an Asfur Angel and it beat the crap out of the blueface. I had to take the blueface out. The blueface seemed to be timmid. Right now the Asfur does not bother the flame that much. There is also a yellow tang and 2 clowns.

calaxa

Pool Boy,
Your case is slightly different. You had a blueface and a flame which are of different genus (one's a true angel, other is dwarf) and will usually be fine. Adding the other true angel was almost guaranteed fighting in that size tank. I think a true angel in a 90 is too small. I'm surprised the blueface was the one who got hurt. Would've thought the blueface would've gotten the better of the Asfur. Both were juveniles?
LKG.....I think you can do it with the CB and FA. Both are "passive" by dwarf angel standards. My CB is just a grumpy fish. He swims with the FA for good periods of time, then decides he doesn't like the FA and chases him. Then he goes back to being his friend again.

n8ball2013

go back to sbf!!! lol welcome to the addiction this costs far more than anything from worth btw my screenname over there is n8ss03

Originally Posted by n8ball2013
http:///forum/post/2830201
go back to sbf!!! lol welcome to the addiction this costs far more than anything from worth btw my screenname over there is n8ss03

LOL. Small world huh? I'm really enjoying this hobby so far though. I haven't been buying my softball stuff for a few years now so I don't think this will hurt me TOO bad.

raedyaghnam

It is true what people say about keeping more than one angel together but I have a different experience...I have five large angels living very well together..I have a Golden Flake, A Blue Face, a Queen, a Flag fin, and an Emperror. I also have other fish lving with them too..a yellow tang, a purple tang, a volatin lion, two hippo tangs, two tomato clowns, a snow flake eel, a clown trigger, a huma huma trigger, a purple trigger, a commet, two sail fin tangs, a pijama, a scooter blenny, and a lawn mower....it is a 250 gallon tank with live rock...I have not seen the angels fight at all on the contrary they are very docile towards each other and the other fish...I guess I was lucky...Ill post some pics later...

-tara33-

Originally Posted by raedyaghnam
http:///forum/post/2830722
It is true what people say about keeping more than one angel together but I have a different experience...I have five large angels living very well together..I have a Golden Flake, A Blue Face, a Queen, a Flag fin, and an Emperror. I also have other fish lving with them too..a yellow tang, a purple tang, a volatin lion, two hippo tangs, two tomato clowns, a snow flake eel, a clown trigger, a huma huma trigger, a purple trigger, a commet, two sail fin tangs, a pijama, a scooter blenny, and a lawn mower....it is a 250 gallon tank with live rock...I have not seen the angels fight at all on the contrary they are very docile towards each other and the other fish...I guess I was lucky...Ill post some pics later...
WOW, that is alot of fish
do you have a picture of this tank, i would love to see one

22 fish wow