Two parter: Chemicals and skimmer

dcc

Part one:
Not sure if I'm having a problem balancing my chemicals or if my test kits aren't reliable. Using API at the moment and know I need to invest in a better kit/equipment. We had an algae outbreak that we trimmed down in a week with 2 emerald crabs and 2 turbo snails (the crabs are back at the LFS now because the bastards ate my pink sponge). Phosphate and Kh were really high (5 and 22 respectively). We did a 15g water change, moved the tank which equaled a 25g change and complete disturbance of the environment, and another 10g change since dealing with the aglae.

Tonight's numbers:
Hydrometer .026 (.031 reading, LFS proved a 5 point difference, refractometer is a ways off)
Calcium 520 (Rising and not sure why. 500 last night, 440 a week ago)
Carbonate 14 (lowering slowly, was 22 two weeks ago at LFS.)
PH 8.1 (Wants to settle at 8.0, using aquavirto balance to raise. LFS said it won't affect Kh but reading seems to say it won't raise calcium.)
phosphate .25 (Was 5 at LFS a week ago)

75g, canister filter rated for 80g (will be upgrading, 55g sprung a leak so we upsized the tank), 2 power heads. No sump, no skimmer. Livestock includes a dragon goby, 2 turbos, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 small hermit, 3 clowns and a juvenile hippo (She eats like nuts but looks starved the last week or so. Started mysis yesterday and hoping to see her bulk up). Tank is almost 3 months old.

We're working toward having corals but don't think it's ready. The Ph wanting to stay low, the Kh staying high and the calcium rising has me concerned. Are water changes and continued monitoring the best route?

Part two:
There is no doubt we need a skimmer. No room for a sump. I don't like the idea of an hob skimmer but it may be the best route. Found last night that there are in-tank skimmers people seem pretty happy with and that's a more desirable route if it's doable. I have no idea how this works! Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I was kind of dragged into the hobby but am really taking to it, and I want to make sure it's done as right as possible (on a budget!). Lots of reading, lots of questions, so I'm learning the basics as we go. I have some faith in our LFS, they're great folks and have great fish and quality, but also feel they like to throw products at a problem instead of balancing the system as naturally as possible.

lmforbis

The salinity is probably way off. One number is wrong. The way I am understanding it your using a hydrometer and your LFS uses a refractometer. Is your hydrometer a swing arm? I would be more likely to believe the LFS's refractometer than the hydrometer. Just because correct salinity is important for their business. I'd suggest buying a refractometer and calibration fluid, you can get both for under $50 at Amazon. If your hydrometer is reading low it could account at least in part for your high cal and alk. What is your magnesium?

I have a reef octopus hob skimmer on my 40 it works well. I'd rather have it in my sump but there isn't room. I don't like the look of the internal skimmers but they are certainly an option. Do your research there are good skimmers and there are crappy ones. I've had both and it is worth getting a good one.

dcc

The salinity is probably way off. One number is wrong. The way I am understanding it your using a hydrometer and your LFS uses a refractometer. Is your hydrometer a swing arm? I would be more likely to believe the LFS's refractometer than the hydrometer. Just because correct salinity is important for their business. I'd suggest buying a refractometer and calibration fluid, you can get both for under $50 at Amazon. If your hydrometer is reading low it could account at least in part for your high cal and alk. What is your magnesium?
Yes, exactly that...LFS said we were at .021 when we tested for the high phosphates. With our swing arm we read at .026 so our hydrometer is .005 off. I'm confident now it's in the right range, but will have the LFS test again today to verify. A refractometer is on the list.

I don't have a mag kit yet so no idea on that number.

bang guy

"Carbonate 14 (lowering slowly, was 22 two weeks ago at LFS.)
PH 8.1 (Wants to settle at 8.0, using aquavirto balance to raise. LFS said it won't affect Kh but reading seems to say it won't raise calcium.)"

It is true that Aquavirto Balance will not raise your Kh as it does not contain Carbonate. However, it's affect on PH is very temporary and it doesn't do anything for the cause of your (barely) low PH. I would suggest not using it and spending the money on something worthwhile, perhaps better test kits.

Let it settle to 8.0, that's fine. What time of day are you testing it?

Ensure your skimmer is operating correctly and that you have enough waterflow to disperse CO2. That is the primary culprit for suppressed PH.

dcc

Thanks. A skimmer is what I was asking about because we definitely need one. It will have to be a hob or internal (preferable). Recommendations without breaking the bank?