two sets of clowns?

cicadae

We have a 55 gallon tank with live rock, lots of hermit crabs, three shrimp, and several pieces of coral. All water parameters are fine now. We would like to add two pairs of clown fish, one black set and one set of perculas. We would also like to add one or two fairy wrasse. Thats pretty much it. We have learned our lesson regarding overstocking. Can we have two mated pairs of clowns in one tank?
Thanks in advance
Karen

gemmy

I would only recommend one pair of clowns per tank. Clowns can be very aggressive and not tolerate other clowns in the tank.

jazzii9j

Be careful adding a wrasse, we had a six line wrasse and our clarkii clown bit off her tail and she died 2 days later. It happened a few days ago.

sh4n

i have 2 x black ocellaris and 2 perculas in my 240 gallon and at the start they started to fight, only reason i still have them is because the perculas hosted and stopped fighting. i really wouldnt recommend putting them in a 55 gallon they would kill each other

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicadae http:///t/390601/two-sets-of-clowns#post_3459948
We have a 55 gallon tank with live rock, lots of hermit crabs, three shrimp, and several pieces of coral. All water parameters are fine now. We would like to add two pairs of clown fish, one black set and one set of perculas. We would also like to add one or two fairy wrasse. Thats pretty much it. We have learned our lesson regarding overstocking. Can we have two mated pairs of clowns in one tank?
Thanks in advance
Karen
Definitely not a good idea to add more than one pair to a tank, especially of your size.
You can mix a black clown and a regular orange one as long as they're both the same type (Usually blacks are A. ocellaris, so just make sure both are)
The fairy wrasses should get a long. They're docile. Just make sure you're tank is covered because fairy wrasses are jumpers.

ertyjr

So I'm doing the same thing your thinking of at the moment. I have a 55 and a refugium and this is my plan.
I currently have the 2 black ocellaris in my show tank with a green bulb nem. I'm waiting for them to host it, currently they are checking it out but not hosting yet, I can see the sins though that they will host soon. Once they do hey don't venture far really. It's all the way in the bottom right of my show tank, and the nem is happy with being there.
Next I am going to purchase a second nem, just waiting for my tank to adjust to its new bio load. That nem will go into the refugium with my 2 plain ocellaris. Once they host it, I will move hem into the 55 gal show tank to the far left, and pray like hell the nem likes where I stick him.
This plan obviously is not fool proof, and I am willing to except that I may have to have a pair of my clowns living in the refugium. But I think it's a good plan, and think it very possibly will work.