u.v sterilizers and corals

seasalt101

i've been reading up on this a little bit lately and from what i'm gathering it is not a good combo, anyone out there that does run a u.v w/corals, or that can say if i'm being misled on this? i want accurate info on this so any info greatly appreciated tobin

mudplayerx

Why have a UV sterilizer in the 1st place? Most reef tanks have a turnover rate of 20-25x per hour. A UV sterilizer needs a painfully slow turnover to be effective at all (just my guess, but problably around 1x per hour).
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard of a public aquarium using a UV sterilizer. The entire concept of one seems ridiculous to me, like taking an antibiotic while you are on an overdose of laxatives.

seasalt101

that is why i am asking on this post, i don't know much about them i'm getting ready to go to reef with my tank and add another tang to my tank so i guess i will qt the tang instead of the u.v. sterilizer, which would be better anyway, i guess. but with the u.v it will handle any cyano outbreak that i might encounter, which in turn could choke out the corals. so i'm weighing the pro's and the cons, that turnover thing is tough to work around arghhh...tobin

mudplayerx

A lot of people disagree with me and claim UV sterilizers are the best. Keep in mind that my opinion is just that, an opinion

reefforbrains

Heard the same around my circles. Its a 50/50 split some of us love them and some wont touch um. I have thought about them, but in my position and experience it boils down to just another fancy sounding device to plumb. And trust me I LOVE fancy worhtless gadgets as the next guy. But I do not run one. JMO but interested in others opinions on this

seasalt101

yeah i'm stuck on this one damned if you do damned if you don't, it's the water turnover rate that's giving me the hard time, and supposedly they take out the good and the bad bacteria's argghhh....tobin

gwh57

I have one and I love mine. Mine is run off a deticated line that only feeds the UV and then that water goes to the skimmer. I can controll the flow to it and it doesn't effect the return flow.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by gwh57
I have one and I love mine. Mine is run off a deticated line that only feeds the UV and then that water goes to the skimmer. I can controll the flow to it and it doesn't effect the return flow.

Thats the right way to plumb it. I have seen so many plumb it incorrectly in line with there return.
If you get a water born parasite or bacteria then it will kill it. Thats it. Nothing more. So if you have a fear of water born bacteria then yes by all means run one. I personally like them. Because they cant hurt in my opinion. Other than added heat.

gwh57

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Thats the right way to plumb it. I have seen so many plumb it incorrectly in line with there return.
If you get a water born parasite or bacteria then it will kill it. Thats it. Nothing more. So if you have a fear of water born bacteria then yes by all means run one. I personally like them. Because they cant hurt in my opinion. Other than added heat.

I've read a number of posts on other forums that a UV sterilizer is very important for bare bottom tanks. The idea is that the UV helps break or weaken some of the molecular bonds within dissolved organic compounds. In short, the UV can help to improve the efficiency of your protein skimmer.
Yes, the flow rate through the UV does need to be on the slow side, and is best plumbed on or off the drain line.
IMO, they do not harm anything in terms of a reef environment, and can only really help. The amount of heat they are going to add is negligible. I say, if you've got the money for one, then add it.
As for the idea that a UV is going to destroy good bacteria too, well yes thats true, but the large majority of your beneficial bacteria's are found within your LR (and LS if you've got it). A UV isn't going to change that . . . .

fishguy56

I have a 36watt in the sump with a control value so I control the rate of flow which dumps back in to the sump. I was rearranging things one day and forgot to plug the light on in the UV and I noticed my bi-color angle looked like a little ick I was confused and somehow realized it was not plugged up. I plugged it up no ick, not sure if they r good r bad but no icks problems here with crystal clear water. So I like it for now. I think some don't like them because of the price is usally a little high, therfore they write it off. Just some thoughts maybe it will help you in your decisions.
Thanks,
FG

seasalt101

thanks i have 100 lbs. of ls and 160 lbs. of lr i just want everything to go as smooth and hassle-free as possible you know thanks again everyone tobin :happyfish

gwh57

Originally Posted by seasalt101
does anyone who runs a u.v. sterilizer also keep corals? thanks tobin
Yes, I have a reef and UV.

seasalt101

ok thanks gwh57 i will get me one i was thinking of the coralife turbo twist what kind do you run and you run a dedicated line to it? what size of a pump? or can you send a pic or a diagram thanks again you have been very helpful tobin

I'd go with the Aqua UV line . . . . and as already mentioned, run it off your drain line.

gdleader

I have a reef tank with corals. I did a lot of researches on UVs, but I decided not to go due to pros and cons. The best way to keep a UV in a tank with corals is to run it for 2-3 days then stop the rest of the week. I have a friend with two aqua uv's in his 300G tank and he does that. I asked couple of other people and also went to different saltwater stores and asked and they all about gave the same answer. My guess would be that UVs kill a lot of living things in the water and not all are bad. because of that running it in 2-3 days is good :) Just my opinion.

acrylic51

I can't prove they are helpfull or not, but I do run it....I can't agree with the concept of running it 2-3 days a week.....If your trying to control or kill it I think it's worthless to a point.....The ich has to be free floating in the water column for the UV to be effective, so unless it is it worthless IMO....As far as water clarity it is very effective, but a key point; pointed out by Mud is they must be regulated to be effective.......
It's not very hard to regulate the flow through the unit to make it work though....A good flow meter and gate valve does the trick.....As far as it killing more good than bad :thinking:

gwh57

Originally Posted by seasalt101
ok thanks gwh57 i will get me one i was thinking of the coralife turbo twist what kind do you run and you run a dedicated line to it? what size of a pump? or can you send a pic or a diagram thanks again you have been very helpful tobin
I use a direct siphon from a 1/2" line with no pumps involved. That goes through my UV and then empties into the tank holding my skimmer. Mine runs 24/7. The siphon is just a little under the waterline so it can't drain anything if the power fails. I do have a gate valve right before the UV so I can stop the flow without loosing my siphon (which has never stopped) if I need to service the UV or skimmer.

I run one as well, but I keep the UV on a seperate system than the filters. I have very clear water (I think the best benifit you are going to find) and never had an ICH outbreak in 15 years. It should be noted that proper QT proceedures are more to blame for the lack of outbreaks than the UV. As far as the corals go ... I think that suppliments added for the corals negate any detrimental effect the UV has on water quality. But hey, JMO.