UFC 59 - April 15th!

zsalinas

Ruaround.......the thing is when the fights were like that and had no rules and stuff nobody wanted to host them. UFC was going downhill fast almost to the point it was gonna be completely done. They went as low as fighting in bars and stuff like that. I know what you're saying about the old days There were no rules and it was just plain brutal.

ruaround

true the fights were brutal but now do you watch the UFC because these guys are playing pat-a-cake??? my guess is no... you watch to see a fight...
IMO its original appeal was to find the best FIGHTER... not 20 different "best fighters" from 20 diferent weight classes... yes it was a "human ---- fight" of sorts and wasnt legal in many states... it lost its appeal because Grace and Shamrock DOMINATED...

zsalinas

I completely understand it was like an every day street fight where anything goes. It was awesome to watch I've rented them and watched them. It's crazy how it used to be. People getting kicked in the face while they were on the ground and everything. It was awesome. I still like to watch it though there's blood and all that stuff. Boxing is pretty boring to me so I'd rather watch the UFC. It also depends on who is fighting. The good ole fighting will never return so that sucks.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Zsalinas
The good ole fighting will never return so that sucks.
true...

I went to a local Bar to watch it on Saturday... the place was PACKED (500+) and the crowd was about 60/40 guys to gals... But, I cant tell you how many times i heard "this isnt like it used to be"... but oh well evolution i guess...
good luck to Grace trying to make a comeback...

zsalinas

Agreed. We just rented it and had a bunch of people over to watch it at my house. It was fun although I was way dissapointed in the Arlovski fight. I hope Hughes gets his as.....butt whooped. Somebody needs to put him in his place.

jhov2324

I do remember back in the day it was a little brutal, you had to be 17 to be able to rent the tapes, thank god our friend was the clerk at the rental spot, I remember a fight when a guy was punching another fighter in the ribs so much it was turning purple and red and green, and he never tapped or the fight wasn't stopped, I think he got choked out though, he just passed out went to sleep,

zsalinas

lol yeah it was pretty much you had to tap or get knocked out it wasn't just stopped. If they were taking a beating they kept taking it till they gave up or passed out lol. On some of those old fights the guy would be passed out and the fighter would still get some hits in before it got stoppped and their heads would bounce off the mat lol.

speg

Agreed. We just rented it and had a bunch of people over to watch it at my house. It was fun although I was way dissapointed in the Arlovski fight. I hope Hughes gets his as.....butt whooped. Somebody needs to put him in his place.
I dont think he'll lose in UFC 60.. but when Georges St. Pierre gets another shot at him.. i'd bet my bottom dollar St. Pierre wins... and he is the next person to fight Hughes after Royce.

speg

You don't think Royce will be able to take him?
I dont. I think things have evolved too much. Royce was effective when he was one of the few people doing brazilian ju-jitzu... now everybody has that in their game.
Even some people have American who-hitzu and Thug-jitzu ;) see the evolution!?!?
Obviously though im not good at picking winners.... so ignore everything I ever say ;)

jhebi

We all know that the best fight would be ICEMAN(UFC) vs VANDERLAI SILVA(PRIDE).....
That would rockkkkk.......

speg

Originally Posted by jhebi
We all know that the best fight would be ICEMAN(UFC) vs VANDERLAI SILVA(PRIDE).....
That would rockkkkk.......

Chuck wanted it to happen.. but now that he has a contract with the UFC.... I dunno if it will.

mumbulog

I was thinking a great fight would be the Jeff Munson versus Arvloski!!
Has this taken place if not that would rock!

speg

Originally Posted by mumbulog
I was thinking a great fight would be the Jeff Munson versus Arvloski!!
Has this taken place if not that would rock!
Nope.
I would like to see Arlovski vs Mir.

speg

An interesting little poll found on www.ufc.com
Who do you think won??
Answer: Results:
Ortiz 43.53%
Griffin 44.29%
Draw 12.18%
I couldnt agree more with the majority of the fans! :)

speg

Also... this is Arlovski's UFC history - I forget how young he was when he first came into the UFC.. but i'd almost like to say it was at like 19 or something crazy like that.. he has came a LONG way.. I think this guy is absolutely awesome and I hope he gets the belt back soon!
UFC History:
UFC 59 Reality Check: Arlovski lost the Heavyweight title to Tim Sylvia at 2:43 of the first round by TKO.
UFC 55: Fury (10/7/05) Arlovski defeated Paul Buentello by KO at :15 min of the first round.
UFC 53: Heavy Hitters (6/04/05) Arlovski defeated Justin Eilers by TKO in 4:10 of the first round.
UFC 51: Super Saturday (02/05/2005): Arlovski defeated former UFC World Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia for the “Interim” Heavyweight Championship by ankle lock at: 47 of the first round.
UFC 47: IT’S ON! (09/26/03) Arlovski defeated Wesley “Cabbage” Correira in the second round with a TKO at 1:15.
UFC 44: Undisputed (09/26/03) Arlovski defeated fellow Belarussian Vladimir Matyushenko by knockout at 2:14 of the first round. Arlovski became the first man ever to knock out Matyushenko.
UFC 40: Vendetta (11/22/02) Arlovski defeated Ian Freeman by knockout at 1:25 of the first round.
UFC 36: Worlds Collide (03/22/02) Arlovski lost a standup war to Pedro Rizzo, being knocked out at 1:45 of the third round. "Unfortunately, I didn't perform my tactical plan," he said.
UFC 32: Showdown in the Meadowlands (06/29/01) Arlovski lost a hard-fought battle to Ricco Rodriguez, losing by TKO at 1:23 of the third round, punches.
UFC 28: High Stakes (11/17/00): Arlovski defeated Aaron Brink by tap out at: 54 of the first round, arm bar.

speg

Just out of curiosity ... whos everybodys favorite fighters from each weight class???
Mine...
Lightweight: Yves Edwards
Welterweight: Gotta go with my man Nick Diaz. He doesnt win a lot.. but every time he loses he ALWAYS goes the distance.
Middleweight: Mike Swick and Rich Franklin.
Lightheavyweight: You've gotta love Chuck :)
Heavyweight: Frank Mir & Andrei Arlovski