Ugh, all fish died

bdhb12

I've been told that if a cucumber gets stressed it releases a poison that will kill everything in your tank, did you check for that?

bdhb12

My bet is the cucumber did it, you have no other reason, a guy at my new lfs told me a story similar....

89-lx

Originally Posted by fishstick4sale
http:///forum/post/2960111
did u do water changes and if u did water changes where did u get ur water and does the LFS sale sea water or do they mix their own? or did u mix ur own water? how often did u do water changes? and for ur bio balls in the back did u leave them?
I buy all my water from the LFS, and I do about 5-6 gallons a week. They use a RODI system with their own salt. Bioballs are still there. Nitrate would never go above or below 20 ppm, which is just fine for the fish but I would still like to see 5 or less.
http:///forum/post/2960129
how often did u feed? u dont need a skimmer for a 30gallon at all, im way over stock i have 6 fishes each 1.5 inches long and plan on adding another and i still get low readings on nitrates right befor a water change and after im back to .0 how many gallons did u change out? and when u mixed ur own did u use R/O water. and how many pounds of LR do u have
I feed them about 2-3 times a week. I bought the skimmer when I bought the tank, in which I was new to the salt water game then. It did pick up some good scum as the water was always brown. I have around 25-30 lbs of rock, in which 15-20 is live, and the other was dead rock which is becoming live rock. I also used live substrate.
Originally Posted by Bdhb12

http:///forum/post/2960268
My bet is the cucumber did it, you have no other reason, a guy at my new lfs told me a story similar....
The cucumber doesn't look too healthy. Its much smaller, which leads me to believe that it may have been that douche bag that did this damage. The odd thing is, that only 2 of the 4 have been able to be recovered, and one was black and crusty looking.

detane

BIO BALLS!!

Those things are death waiting to happen... Use Live rock in the back and some macro algae.

hmm 5-6 gallons a week thats what i change out and you still have high nitrates, i dont use no skimmer im over my bio and i have tons of coral so its kinda odd how much nitrate u put out still... it could possibly be your test kit also that isnt accurate and something else may have happened have you taken yor saltwater to your LFS and copare test its always wwise to compare your test withyour LFS

89-lx

http:///forum/post/2960321
hmm 5-6 gallons a week thats what i change out and you still have high nitrates, i dont use no skimmer im over my bio and i have tons of coral so its kinda odd how much nitrate u put out still... it could possibly be your test kit also that isnt accurate and something else may have happened have you taken yor saltwater to your LFS and copare test its always wwise to compare your test withyour LFS
Yep, they are showing elivated nitrates also.

89-lx

Ok, I got a 2 lbs of LR along with a handful of chaeto sitting on top of it. I have a rio mini sun light in the back, which from what I read, is good enough for a fuge. Now the question is, should I just keep filling the water in the 2nd and 3rd chamber till it goes to the top to quiet down the water fall sound?

nissan577

http:///forum/post/2960321
no more fish! and you are way over your limit. and just because you show no readings in ammonia or trates doesnt mean your fish are happy. fish need space to swim. so you can have 7 fish in there and show no sign at all but the fish will end up dead from being stree and being cramp together. and i do 5g of water change. so dont just think about the readings but about your fish. would you like to be in a 5x5 foot room with 10 people. no right. thats how the fish feel. im sorry for being like this. not trying to be rude but fish are like humans and should be treated the same way.

just so you can read it again!
but im serious

+1 nissan, but i didnt say thats for everyone its just what i do personally and im running into no problems.
some fish do well with low amount of space and some will die on u quick within a few days at that. i had to return a few fish because the amount of space i had was limited but thats because i try an put tangs and others that need 60+ gallons and i have 30, but some did well. also depends on how your rock work is lotta open area isnt to great fish tend to chase eachother off its always good to have caves and deep areas.
yea all chambers in the back can be full to cut down sound, mine is almost tip top on all back chambers.