umm i guess i need major help. COPPER question

gaboon1

well. some guy really scewed me over, i have a very very nice setup. that i have been working on. 75 gal. all nice oak and everything. anyway got everything accl.. it was running for 4 months, took out the starter fish, and put my fav.. lions.. the next few days they got ich.. so i went to my fav aquarium store, and they told me. copper.. never telling me what it would do. mind you this is just fish only tank... for now that is. i had planned on moving those lions to my dads huge tank and make my tank a reef tank with yellow tangs for my girlfriends Bday. there her fav fish. well now i here i cant us the tank? cus of the copper. i took all the crushed coral out. and will be putting in new. but i here you can never get copper out.. the tank was only treated 2 times. with half doses. is there a way i can save this tank? please someone help.. i do not want to buy a new 75 gallon tank. i see in some forums that i have to chuck this tank and buy new..

gaboon1

mind you, it was never very strong in the tank. when i tested it it barley showed up... it was very very low. and like i said it was only put in two times. i really really really want a reef tank. people say you can (bleech) or vinegar to clean it??? someone please chime in. or pm me

maeistero

75gal tank is dirt cheap.
you've already made a few mistakes by using crushed coral, doing it again, and putting a lion in a small tank. realize that you're going to spend more money than a small tank before you learn what you're doing here. see how deep the water is before you dive

gaboon1

what are you talking about. a 75 gallon is a fine size tank. and how bout you get off your high horse and help someone, not sit there and talk crap... how bout someone else on here that wont just be a lil girl and yap. give me some help please.. i really dident think a dwarf lion fish is to big for a 75 gallon tank there numbnuts

shawnhardy

I would highly recommend CupriSorb. Run it like carbon in a filter bag. You can also use Poly Filter. It is a brand of filter pad that will turn blue as it takes copper out of your water.
I made a bad mistake early on in my tank by using a brass fitting in some of my plumbing setup. Since copper is the major element in the alloy brass, some leached into my tank. It killed everything except my orchid dottyback. I used both of the products mentioned above and since then have been able to add snails, hermits and even a shrimp to my tank. They are all living happily in my tank now for a few months now. Proof this stuff really will rok to get the copper out. Give them a try.

mx#28

Originally Posted by gaboon1
http:///forum/post/2541167
mind you, it was never very strong in the tank. when i tested it it barley showed up... it was very very low. and like i said it was only put in two times. i really really really want a reef tank. people say you can (bleech) or vinegar to clean it??? someone please chime in. or pm me
What is the copper level in ppm?
Trace copper is not only okay, but most salt brands include it in their mixes (at very low levels, of course). Changing water, running a poly-filter or the like, and then removing the substrate should get things in shape for you.
Some will say that copper continues to leach back into the water - even from just the silicone - at dangerous levels, but I've never had any trouble converting tanks. Just be sure to test well and I would run a polyfilter at all times.

gaboon1

well before i broke the tank down, the lions are in my dads tank now. but before when it was up and running. it was on the lowest trace possible. well my tester is mg/l thats what it says, and it was reading .05 or a lil less. it was just to say it changed the color slightly... maybee a .10 at the very most... do you think ill have a problem with using the tank.. and what is wrong with using crushed coral? what should i use for starting a reef?

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2541313
well before i broke the tank down, the lions are in my dads tank now. but before when it was up and running. it was on the lowest trace possible. well my tester is mg/l thats what it says, and it was reading .05 or a lil less. it was just to say it changed the color slightly... maybee a .10 at the very most... do you think ill have a problem with using the tank.. and what is wrong with using crushed coral? what should i use for starting a reef?
So the tank is totally broken down? No water, no substrate, no rock, etc?

gaboon1

Originally Posted by MX#28
http:///forum/post/2541438
So the tank is totally broken down? No water, no substrate, no rock, etc?

you are correct. none of that. its empty. no substrate, no rock, no water, no filter or heater... im starting from scratch.. by the way my new filter is a proclear pro175. and im going to make a refug to go along with that. also the copper i did use was seacure.. and i threw it away haha..

ibew41

http:///forum/post/2541313
use a sand bed

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2543923
bump bump. mx#28
Sorry to be slow - forgot about this thread.

I would just rinse the tank out well and start fresh with uncontaminated substrate, live rock, etc and run a polyfilter once it is set up and running just as insurance.
Also, I agree with the others. In a reef tank, you'll be much better off with a finer sand bed than with crushed coral.

gaboon1

yeah i just orderd a bunch of black sand. my and the wife really like the look of black sand with the live rock on the sand... what could i use to wash the tank out anyway. some say vinegar some say bleech. i would be to scared to use bleech though...

hlcroghan

I am a beginner at saltwater. Is there such a thing as live black sand? Or would that just be for decoration?

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2545506
yeah i just orderd a bunch of black sand. my and the wife really like the look of black sand with the live rock on the sand... what could i use to wash the tank out anyway. some say vinegar some say bleech. i would be to scared to use bleech though...
If you use bleach or vinegar, be sure to rinse it out well with water. I have no idea how effective either of those would or wouldn't be at pulling the copper remains out, but I'd be a little chicken about using lots of bleach, too

I've used ammonia based glass cleaners on tanks before without issue, but if the tank's pretty clean, I'd just rinse it out with water.

lions_den

http:///forum/post/2541257
what are you talking about. a 75 gallon is a fine size tank. and how bout you get off your high horse and help someone, not sit there and talk crap... how bout someone else on here that wont just be a lil girl and yap. give me some help please.. i really dident think a dwarf lion fish is to big for a 75 gallon tank there numbnuts
i don't know much about copper but i have a 75 gallon lionfish specialty tank.
people just like to talk crap when they have nothing better to say.

gaboon1

hey mx thank you soo much for helpin me out. il post pics soon and start a diary.. and as for live sand yes.
you can get black live sand or just regular black sand...
eather or. and you can get it in a bunch of colors..
live sand just means its sold to you in a bag with ocean water mixed in with it. they just pull it outta the ocean like that and bag it.. theres no wait time to put fish in if you use that from what i am told but its just hard to belive and i would still wait..