unwanted room mates!

reckler

It took me a week to trap the racoon that was eating my roof. After I caught her the animal control officer took her across the street practically and let her go. :mad: Well now I have more room mates in my attic, like 6 of them, plus her.
Yesterday I took them out for urban wildlife management, but they told me they were swamped with racoons. I had to put them back in hopes she would relocate them herself. If not I will have company for another 8 weeks
until they are weined from the milk..
feel free to post you regrets for me if you want.

reckler

they are too young to relocate at this time, and the chance of a full grown racoon surviving after relocation is only 25%.
if I travel I will be going alone anyway.......

mie

I would be pissed I think i would leave them on the doorstep of humane society or urban wildlife mngmt office

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by reckler
they are too young to relocate at this time, and the chance of a full grown racoon surviving after relocation is only 25%.
if I travel I will be going alone anyway.......

Ween 'em and ship me one! My wife had one as a pet when she was young. I really would like to have one!

schneidts

Very cool. Did you contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife? Maybe they can come get them or instuct you on what to do? There may be regulations against weaning them yourself. I know here in upstate NY, some people took in some baby opossums that were orpahaned. Well word got out to the DEC and the people had to go to court and pay fines, as redicuolous as that is. Personally, I would just wean them and release them when the time was right. Good luck.

T

tizzo

And that's your problem how?
You really want the best for these critters huh? ***)

lovethesea

Originally Posted by Tizzo
And that's your problem how?
You really want the best for these critters huh? ***)

I was thinking the same thing. I am all for God's creatures and all, but just not in my attic :scared:

navyguy

When my mom was a child she had baby racoons, that lived under the fireplace. They fed them untill they left one day. Give it time, they will move.

phixer

Hmm :thinking: roof or racoons? We have a Terrier, he dosent like to share space so Id end up taking them to the shelter in a box with a sign, please take of me.

Originally Posted by lovethesea
I was thinking the same thing. I am all for God's creatures and all, but just not in my attic :scared:
I understand wanting the best for the animals, but obviously they chew. By chew I mean, wood, wires ... create fire, loose your house and the coons and your trip to the country to drop them off just got a little more expensive. Not trying to be harsh, but I know someone that lost their house to tree rats (otherwise known in the south as squirles) knawing on wires in the attic. Just give it some thought. ***)

poniegirl

I also had coons in the attic, AND under the tub. Just moved into this house in January.
I told my landlord about it. He told me nothing that big could get up there (or under there).
I told him they had built a racetrack up there and run it full speed most nights. One evening, "someone" fell off the racetrack and SHOOK THE BATHROOM WALLS!
The landlord set rat traps (
) with peanut butter bait. The things that couldn't be up there, tripped the traps and ate the peanut butter..5 times. I suggested that he just leave them the jar and a loaf of bread.
He did screen in the attic vents and the races came to a halt..I don't know, and I don't want to know. My hope is that there was a way out and they used it.
I feel your pain, Reckler. You are a better human than I. I would have bought a case of kitten formula and left them on the rangers doorstep. That is what we support these agencies for, after all.

reckler

Wow now I have alot to reply too. OK. The DOW (department of wildlife) told me this year we are having an infestation of recoons. they can come get them , but will only break their necks.

The old saying goes true. If you can't beat them join them... Well I figured I would just leave them in the attic until they are weined. I have set up a feeding station for the ma'ma coon so she would stop chewing on everything else.
If colorado is having an infestation of coons this year. I don't see the harm in selling some to other states. I figure they would be my coons since they live with me and I care for thwem anyway...

Everyone I have copntacted on the matter just told me there is nothing I can doto remove them right now. Well I think I will wait until they are old enough to care for themselves and take one each to each of the agencies that couldn't help me, and place one in their attics.

remember that these are just thoughts I am mulling over.....
the pocket lint and paper clip sounds like a pretty fair deal for a baby coon. I could even send a bit of the nesting matterial with it when I send it too you. (insulation) lol
the fish tank thing don't sound too bad either. I could set up a mini wildlife refuge in the tank and ask for donations of unwanted damsels to feed them.

and best of all. I could set up a web cam, start a streaming video on swf for all the members here. charge $5.00 to watch it, and split the proceeds with the owners of swf.
I will try and get more pictures of them as they grow and post them here for you all. thanks for the laughs. I really need them..
Ron

sharkboy13

the pocket lint and paper clip sounds like a pretty fair deal for a baby coon. I could even send a bit of the nesting matterial with it when I send it too you. (insulation) lol
hold up, i wanted the whole batch, and dont forget the $5 and clueless 85 yr old

reckler

the whole batch.... I might need something more for all that, don't forget shipping costs too now. I might have to decline this really good offer.
lol

sharkboy13

ooh i cant lose this deal...ill offer a half eaten bowl of chili and for shipping ill send u this really crappy video of me throwing rocks at inanimate objects in the water